Diablo® III

Lightning Wizard Discussion

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Sparked by Malakai's lightning wizard thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12877968041

The potential for lightning in higher difficulty levels is there... but not quite there. So I'm going to keep this thread here for the following reasons:

• Inspire wizards who want to run lightning, but don't know where or how to start
  • Put more heads together to figure out if there's something we missed about lightning skills/gear
  • To come up with hypothetical changes that could make lightning really click (in case the community team and developers pick up on this thread)

I put together this video for those who have no idea what's going on:
http://youtu.be/AunTA2m9mqg
Based on Malakai's lightning wizard

Discussion thread I opened up on Diablofans for those who visit that site:
http://bit.ly/1hoRaSV

Right now, the build I find the most balanced in terms of both "fun" and "effectiveness" is the one centered around Electrocute + Myken's Ball of Hate + Velvet Camaral ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UbQjSO!ZdVS!Z.aacc ).

I've seen some variants sprout up that include Black Hole, Wave of Force - Static Pulse, or Meteor - Lightning Bind, usually in place of Familiar. Archon could find a spot in here, as well, but that requires gearing for CDR, which can really gimp survivability or damage output depending on what stat rolls are given up.

The fastest T6 Rift clear I did was around 17 minutes (wrapped around one death), without gear swapping or using the Unity "trick." With better stats all around and fine tuned gear, 10-15 minutes sounds like the average clear time. Not as great as fire and arcane specs in the current state of the game, but not absolutely terrible either.

The following info I'm copying and pasting from my post on Diablofans.com:

Pros:
- Melts groups of trash
- High crowd control potential
- No need for resource/cooldown management
- Visually stunning >_>

Cons:
- Lower damage output against single targets (unless gear swapping is involved)
- Requires top-notch awareness and game sense to play effectively
- Can be fragile depending on situations

Core Gear:
Myken's Ball of Hate
Velvet Camaral
Shard of Hate
Thundergod's Vigor
Stone of Jordan

Alternate/useful pieces:
The Witching Hour
Hellcat Waistguard
Fleeting Strap
String of Ears
Ring of Royal Grandeur
Dovu Energy Trap
Haunt of Vaxo
Eye of Etlich
Any immunity amulets
Cain's Destiny set (e.g. Cain's Habit and Cain's Travelers)
Ancient Parthan Defenders
Strongarm Bracers (for Black Hole variant)
Tasker and Theo (for Lightning Hydra variant)
Andariel's Visage (for gear swapping)
Storm Crow (for gear swapping)

Wyrdward is not included because it scales with proc coefficients on skills, which makes the percentage stated on the item tooltip to be far lower than it actually is. It's useable, but there are better choices out there.

Build:
Depending on the difficulty settings, the only skills one would change are the Magic Weapon rune and the Armor spell. Familiar itself can be subbed with Black Hole or any other defensive or utility skill (e.g. Lightning Hydra). The two core skills are Electrocute and Shock Pulse. Electrocute for 2+ targets, Shock Pulse for single targets.

Reasoning behind Shock Pulse: Electrocute + Myken's + Velvet Camaral loses its effectiveness against single targets because Electrocute ceases to chain. Against single targets (especially larger sized ones like Golgors and bosses), the three bolts from Shock Pulse combine for 194% weapon damage. It has a 0.93 proc coefficient so it more or less guarantees procs from Shard of Hate (releases 3x Charged Bolts for up to 250% damage each (sic)). This puts the build in melee mode... extreme melee mode, meaning you almost have to be literally standing on the target. When all three Charged Bolts and all three bolts from Shock Pulse land on a target, it combines for up to (250 * 3) + 194 = 944% weapon damage per cast. It's tough to get everything to hit simultaneously, but if you can do it (and if you have tons of lightning bonuses on gear), it can make for some good damage.

The build is very specialized and requires some very specific gear. If you have the gear, try it out for yourself and see it works for you.

Useful stuffs:
More lightning discussion - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12675388439
And more discussion - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13087128773
Wizard tools by dolynick (for all your numbers needs) - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10971757476

You know what I would really, really like to see changed? Velvet Camaral's "double Electrocute" power actually allowed you to hit a single target twice with Electrocute (chaining to itself). Combine it with Myken's and somehow allow that target to chain back to itself twice. Oh, man, that'll be great.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 6/11/2014 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi there, I've just watched your video on youtube and would like discuss about variations.

I'm very curious about how forked lightning works with area damage.
If forked lightning does work with area damage, then adding a blackhole with strongarm will increase your damage output by 3-5 folds at the same time increase stability (more control over the battlefield). Since strongarm effect stacks from all 4 players, so I think it's always good to include it into the build.

For single target, I would switch to furnace(stack elite damage) + shock pulse to "static field" out the single target, it should be at 10% health in no time. Then switch to Odyn Son to finish it off.

I'm a monk player, so please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Jaetch
Visually stunning >_>

You mean seizure inducing?

No but seroiusly, I've been running this build (gear on Sib) and it's hella fun. I swapped in some Taskers and have been running lightning hydra and it made single target a lot more bearable for me.
Reply Quote
Here are my 2 cents, from playing lightning archon extensively.

1. Lightning has the strongest out-of-archon clearing abilities.
- Forked Lightning with SoH + Myken + Velvet = clears trash and even elite packs very fast.

2. Lightning has the strongest archon in terms of dmg and CC.
- SoH procs like mad in lighting archon, + paralysis, lightning archon does the most dmg with the most CC.

Then why don't many people play Lightning Archon? Because they are brainwashed by WoW, MM / Conflag, MB, AT users, and don't really have the specific gear to experiment.

I was playing with Malakai's build, but found a few things and adjusted them.

1. Weak pack control and low forked lightning mileage, (Solved by using short CD BH - Supermassive)
2. Weak single target dps (Solved by using Archon and short CD Supermassive)
3. Weak general toughnesss and mobility (Solved by using Archon and BH).

Problem with using unruned SP was range, u have to teleport right on top the target to get the full benefit, other wise, even 1 yard different the bolts wont hit.
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 5/25/2014 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 09:45 PMPosted by CKbrah
Here are my 2 cents, from playing lightning archon extensively.

1. Lightning has the strongest out-of-archon clearing abilities.
- Forked Lightning with SoH + Myken + Velvet = clears trash and even elite packs very fast.

2. Lightning has the strongest archon in terms of dmg and CC.
- SoH procs like mad in lighting archon, + paralysis, lightning archon does the most dmg with the most CC.

Then why don't many people play Lightning Archon? Because they are brainwashed by WoW, MM / Conflag, MB, AT users, and don't really have the specific gear to experiment.

I was playing with Malakai's build, but found a few things and adjusted them.

1. Weak pack control and low forked lightning mileage, (Solved by using short CD BH - Supermassive)
2. Weak single target dps (Solved by using Archon and short CD Supermassive)
3. Weak general toughnesss and mobility (Solved by using Archon and BH).

Problem with using unruned SP was range, u have to teleport right on top the target to get the full benefit, other wise, even 1 yard different the bolts wont hit.

No, because velvet caramal and SoH are ridiculously rare
Reply Quote
Other Variations

For Shock Wave ( Shock Pulse + WoF) with elemental exposure.

It does retarded single target dps, but lacks trash clearing abilities.

For TnT Hydra and Eletrocute

It's a solid setup, but less efficient than Archon.
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 10:00 PMPosted by CKbrah
For TnT Hydra and Eletrocute

It's a solid setup, but less efficient than Archon.

Yeah, but it's great for those of us who are just really tired of archon. :P
Reply Quote

Not really. U wont believe how many of my clan members salvaged countless SoH (post nerf) and Velvet Camaral, because they never gave lightning a chance and think it's trash. Instead they get all excited when a 2k WoW drops.

Just yesterday, in a rift group, a clan member found Velvet, right after he IDs it, I was all excited to ask him if I could have, he ended up telling me he salvaged it immediately.....

and I ve been using all my shards for the past 4 weeks to try to get the helm (which I salvaged 2 of them way back), and countless rifts.
Edited by CKbrah#1954 on 5/25/2014 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
500+ paragon 1 crappy SoH 0 Velvet
Reply Quote
Why not thunderfury?

I tried the build awhile ago.. wasnt hugely impressed to be honest... Will probaly have to give it another go though to make a full judgement.
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 10:28 PMPosted by Chippies
Why not thunderfury?

A lot of it for me is the slows. I want everything grouped up and that was hindering it.
Reply Quote
the mykens ball + electrocute chain lightning is very good on 2 targets or more.. but lacks a punch on single targets . that's why we'd struggle on rift bosses and would take a lot of our time
Reply Quote
Something i hope Blizzard would fix is remove the damage scaling when chaining electrocute. Imagine if it doesn't reduce after each jump and still procs forked lightning. That will be a huge dps boost. Also adjusting the proc rate would help SoH.

One thing i was also thinking for higher torments is swap familiar with slow time path of no return and use ancient parthan defenders. You'll be creating a solid defence and cc wall that will let you tank more and kill mobs before they get near you. If you have illusionist, then if they do reach you you can just teleport out cast slow time and continue to shock them
Reply Quote
Yesterday I finally got a ball of hate from kadala, after she was trolling me for weeks!

I was wondering if fulminator is an option while lacking shard of hate. Or do you think the build is not worth to run when you don't have shard? I have got most other recommended items, just not shard. I have another weapon which does have a bit higher dps but no proc...

Before this I was running a lightning build with Electrocute Arc Lightning + Meteor Lightning blind which seemed to lack punch beyond t4...

Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 10:03 PMPosted by CKbrah

Not really. U wont believe how many of my clan members salvaged countless SoH (post nerf) and Velvet Camaral, because they never gave lightning a chance and think it's trash. Instead they get all excited when a 2k WoW drops.

Just yesterday, in a rift group, a clan member found Velvet, right after he IDs it, I was all excited to ask him if I could have, he ended up telling me he salvaged it immediately.....

and I ve been using all my shards for the past 4 weeks to try to get the helm (which I salvaged 2 of them way back), and countless rifts.

I wish I can trade my Velvet Camaral with your Wand of Woh.
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 11:34 PMPosted by Kazheem
Yesterday I finally got a ball of hate from kadala, after she was trolling me for weeks!

I was wondering if fulminator is an option while lacking shard of hate. Or do you think the build is not worth to run when you don't have shard? I have got most other recommended items, just not shard. I have another weapon which does have a bit higher dps but no proc...

Before this I was running a lightning build with Electrocute Arc Lightning + Meteor Lightning blind which seemed to lack punch beyond t4...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Odyn's Son can be a decent substitute
Reply Quote
The problem with lightning is still damage.None of the spenders, and none of the primaries do enough even with max-stacked-out +lightning and lightning-focused gear. Also Myken's ball of hate doesn't roll lvl 70 source damage.
Reply Quote
05/26/2014 12:20 AMPosted by kokopuffs
Also Myken's ball of hate doesn't roll lvl 70 source damage.

Incorrect, Myken's does in fact roll lvl 70 source damage.

They have fixed this problem and all sources have now been retro actively adjusted and sources dropping since then are all rolling lvl 70 damage stats.

Also, and this is just personally, I find that Odyn son's attack speed is too slow for a lightning build, maybe it was jsut my combination of gear at the time but it was slow, i might revist when i have more ias gear available i think.
Edited by Amos#6777 on 5/26/2014 12:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Yea I have 1 of that velvet helm, which rolled int/armor/%wof/soc

Now. I'm lost beause I want cc, but the wof% rolled 15% which has utility with lightning as it buffs it by another 15%.

I'm tempted to roll off the armor roll because it is a low roll of 39x, and offers less from a optimal standpoint of view.

The int is 700+
Reply Quote
roll off the armor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]