Diablo® III

Guide: Chainpocalypse (Part 3)

07/15/2014 10:37 AMPosted by SapphireCat
Hi everyone :)

I hope this question wasn't discussed yet and I'm just too blind to see it... and sry if my english is a bit rough. ;-)

I'd really like to know what happens to Explosive Blast (with Chain Reaction rune and Woh) if you have tons of CDR and start the next explosions before the previous explosions end.

Do they overlap (and virtually double the number of explosions while overlapping) or overwrite themselves (making CDR for Chain Reaction damage useless after the point you can spam it without a gap)?

Greetings :)

Yes they overlap.

Yes more CDR will = more EB damage

Every additional 10% CDR = roughly 11% EB DPS. And this is constant figure, just hard to stack CDR without giving up too much other stats.

(Note: 10% CDR = 5% CDR if you have 50%, which is still equal to ~11% EB damage)
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 10:40 AMPosted by Boozor
Yes they overlap.

Hey Boozor, thanks for the quick answer, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :)

(Note: 10% CDR = 5% CDR if you have 50%, which is still equal to ~11% EB damage)

I'm not sure if I get it right... do you mean if I already have about 50% CDR and slot an new item with +10% CDR, it results in summed up 55% CDR? ;-)

Every additional 10% CDR = roughly 11% EB DPS. And this is constant figure, just hard to stack CDR without giving up too much other stats.

May I ask you how it comes to these numbers 10% CDR = ~11% EB DPS? Just for understanding the mechanic behind EB and CDR. ;-)
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 01:15 PMPosted by SapphireCat
Yes they overlap.

Hey Boozor, thanks for the quick answer, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :)

I'm not sure if I get it right... do you mean if I already have about 50% CDR and slot an new item with +10% CDR, it results in summed up 55% CDR? ;-)

May I ask you how it comes to these numbers 10% CDR = ~11% EB DPS? Just for understanding the mechanic behind EB and CDR. ;-)

Yes if you have 50% CDR and add 10% you'll have 55% CDR.

That 10% CDR you added (although only shows 5% on stats bar) will still give you ~11% EB DPS.

Here is how it works via Vishnu / front page of this guide:

Posted by vishnu
If you add an item with x% CDR, regardless of your current CDR, it will increase your EB damage by:

(1/(1-x/100)-1)*100%

For example, if you add an 8% CDR item, regardless of your current CDR, it increases your EB damage by:

(1/(1-0.08)-1)*100% = 8.7%

CDR is not additive, but that does not mean there are diminishing returns. There are NO diminishing returns in terms of EB damage. If you got an absurd amount of CDR things like ping would need to be considered to diminish returns, but as cooldowns will always be measured in seconds (3ish seconds, 1.5ish seconds with shrine), and pings in miliseconds (~100ms), we can safely ignore this minor effect.
Reply Quote
I've been trying out Mirror Images together with Energy Twister - Gale Force instead of Force Weapon. I have 58% CDR which translates into perma Mirror Images that casts Black Hole and ET a lot. I recon this pure EB build outperforms the other versions I've tried with MW and Teleport when it comes to damage. Anyone else here tried this combo?
Reply Quote
I got a n1 firebirds eye which i intend to run with woh after 2.1 hits, not quite sure what to reroll tho:

362-411 dmg
18% fire dmg
686 int
6% cdr
11% EB dmg

I usually dont have a CDR Problem, so i am leaning toward CDR into CC.
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 04:58 PMPosted by perperub
I've been trying out Mirror Images together with Energy Twister - Gale Force instead of Force Weapon. I have 58% CDR which translates into perma Mirror Images that casts Black Hole and ET a lot. I recon this pure EB build outperforms the other versions I've tried with MW and Teleport when it comes to damage. Anyone else here tried this combo?

Yes, this is exactly the build I'm using on PTR:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VYkNhO!RibZ!ZcZbcc

And here's a video of a level 33 greater rift with the build:
http://www.twitch.tv/magicrectangle/c/4640819

The build is really quite good on PTR. On live the gale force multiplier doesn't (on average) outweigh losing MM/conflag in my testing, but on PTR it is great with the higher EB damage, plus the firebird damage, giving it a much higher "base" to multiply.
Edited by vishnu#1844 on 7/16/2014 4:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot, Boozor, you really helped me :)
Reply Quote
07/16/2014 04:35 AMPosted by vishnu
07/15/2014 04:58 PMPosted by perperub

Yes, this is exactly the build I'm using on PTR:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VYkNhO!RibZ!ZcZbcc

And here's a video of a level 33 greater rift with the build:
http://www.twitch.tv/magicrectangle/c/4640819

The build is really quite good on PTR. On live the gale force multiplier doesn't (on average) outweigh losing MM/conflag in my testing, but on PTR it is great with the higher EB damage, plus the firebird damage, giving it a much higher "base" to multiply.

On the PTR: Would you make any changes in the build/gear if you play like me with a pet doc friend?
Reply Quote
got firebird gloves with int/ias/cc/cd and i am considering rerolling the ias. would you prefer vita or crit dmg if it was your choice?
Reply Quote
Best gloves are int/crit/crit dam/cooldown reduction IMO.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 01:18 AMPosted by Shadow88
got firebird gloves with int/ias/cc/cd and i am considering rerolling the ias. would you prefer vita or crit dmg if it was your choice?

IAS does nothing for EB in terms of damage. It only makes the gaps between the explosions are a little shorter but that doesn't change the damage of them. So as kafka said, best are Int/CHD/CHC/CDR.

If you are going with MM/Conflag with WoW though, I would probably stick with IAS. Alternatively, you could go with Magefist and go choose another slot for FB 6p bonus.

07/16/2014 12:58 AMPosted by Kazm0dan
I got a n1 firebirds eye which i intend to run with woh after 2.1 hits, not quite sure what to reroll tho:

362-411 dmg
18% fire dmg
686 int
6% cdr
11% EB dmg

I usually dont have a CDR Problem, so i am leaning toward CDR into CC.

The problem with using FB source... you can't have CHC, CDR and +EB. You are sacrificing one of them for the +Fire. Considering that 10% CDR gives you roughly 11% EB damage, I'd probably drop the CDR (your 6% is giving you about 6~7% EB damage) for CHC.
Reply Quote
07/16/2014 05:17 PMPosted by perperub
On the PTR: Would you make any changes in the build/gear if you play like me with a pet doc friend?

Fire pets?

I play PTR a fair bit with a fire pet doc, gale force synergy is real. No, I wouldn't really make any adjustments. Losing the safety of unity kind of hurts but the kill speed is good. Pet doc procs a lot of electrified so I might swap my star of azkaranth for a xepherian amulet instead (if only I had a good xepherian).
Reply Quote
I tried playing normal 2.06 T6. Got pretty mashed up. Changed ET - Gale Force for Force Weapon - Deflection and got less squishy. I'm fairly new on Woh, but I've read something about FW not being good for Woh users?
Reply Quote
Hi all,
I'm using a variant of this build combined with hexing pants/duplicates. I'm able to perform a pretty good dmg, but from what I read in 2.1. the LoH will not work on EB? This will leave us with a lot less survivability.
Do you think that the only viable build in 2.1 will be something with LoH proc like MM?
Reply Quote
What? LoH is nearly useless with EB on live, it works far better in 2.1.
Reply Quote
I may have misunderstood the release notes - I read that spells that don't need animation time to cast (like EB, Diamondskin) will not gain any LoH:

"*Attacks that deal damage, but don't animate (like Overpower, or Frost Nova) do not trigger Life on Hit. The intention is to prevent double LoH procs per animation cycle since these skills can be cast while attacking, or channeling."

Am I wrong here? (I hope I am :)
Reply Quote
Is Fire Blades fire damage buff working properly with EB?

I tried it out as i still don't have a +2 mirrorball and It doesn't feel like i'm seeing the damage boost.

lets say EB crits for 10M, then if i get 50 stacks of fireblades then i should be seeing 15M crits right?
Reply Quote
Hi guys.

I'd like to have your opinion about my stuff, I'm hesitating between two pairs of helm/source.
I'm currently playing a Firebird source with the following stats :
  • 368-431 dmg
  • +20% fire
  • 745 int
  • 9.5% chc (too expensive to reroll so I'll stick with 9.5)
  • 8% cdr
  • (+14 AP / 1620 thorns)
  • With that, a Firebird helm (686 int / 705 vit / 6% chc / sock with 12.5% cdr / (152 fire res + 1976 thorns)) that gives me an extra 500 int.

=> At the end, it gives : 9683 int / 114% fire / 14% EB / 45.6% chc / 428% chd / 55.32% cdr

The other pair is Tal, and here is where things go tough. My Tal source has the following stats :
  • 365-445 dmg
  • 741 int
  • 10% chc
  • 8% cdr (was 7% on drop)
  • 15% eb
  • (+12 AP / +32% gold)
  • and the helm has : 750 int / 712 vit / 6% chc / sock with 12.5% cdr / (144 phys res + 150 xp/mob)
    That gives a bonus of 5%fire and 100@rez (the ap regen is of no use obviously).

=> At the end, it gives : 9243 int / 99% fire / 29% EB / 46.4% chc / 428% chd / 55.32% cdr.

After calculating which pair is better, on paper the Tal wins. However, IG it seems that I do more damage with the Firebird pair, and I can't figure out why (can it be because of the thorns of the Firebird's helm ? or just an impression ?).

What would you do ? Is there anything I didn't see that would make my choice easier ? Is my feeling wrong about Firebird pair ?
    Edited by Eusebus#2558 on 7/21/2014 6:20 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    So I was lucky enough to get my 2nd Woh after accidentally salvaging the first one. I've been using it for 2 weeks now and found myself dying far too often than I would prefer. The play-style was not as straightforward as I thought it would be and that you have to balance aggressiveness and safety when attacking mobs. I found using Dominance greatly increased my survivability but it was not recommended in the guide. And it also meant dropping either Audacity or EE. I play in groups most of the time by the way.

Can you guys check my gear and see where I can make adjustments to increase my toughness? I've tried using 3 pc Aug (helm, chest, shoulders) but found my damage a bit low (6-9m crits vs whites, 10-15m vs elites). Whereas with my current set-up, it's 9-12m vs whites, 13-18m vs elites.

Note: Haven't re-rolled my Woh as I'm waiting for 2.1. I also have a RoRG but it's not a trifecta.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]