Diablo® III

Guide: Chainpocalypse (Part 3)

06/01/2014 03:11 PMPosted by MrPetrov
06/01/2014 02:46 PMPosted by mcurley
I highly recommend using Frost Nova - Cold Snap over Teleport for higher torments. The crowd control is amazing and matched with Black Hole it leaves less than 1 second of downtime (assuming you have enough CDR). Once I made this switch I went from struggling to survive in T5 to almost never dying in T6. I switched Illusionist to Dominance for extra shields and will most likely never look back.

Matthew, have you tried ditching SoE and using Tal's belt to get the full Tal's benefit (I'm sure you have)?

P.

I did a little work on it but it wasn't all that great. I could switch my Black Hole and Force Weapon runes but Event Horizon is way to important to give up and I really like the protection I get from Deflection. Not to mention the SoE is a huge part of my mitigation.
Reply Quote
But for the sake of the argument, I'll try to use something else and see how it works out.

So I tested removing it and as I suspected, I really can't play as nervously as before (jumping wildy into big packs) as I will die in so many situations that I otherwise would have dealt with easily with illusionist
Edited by alpahc#2190 on 6/1/2014 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/01/2014 04:22 PMPosted by alpahc
But for the sake of the argument, I'll try to use something else and see how it works out.

So I tested removing it and as I suspected, I really can't play as nervously as before (jumping wildy into big packs) as I will die in so many situations that I otherwise would have dealt with easily with illusionist

Use the reversal rune but mind you this take a little bit of practice to get the hang of it. With enough practice, I was able to be a ninja wizard vs dangerous pack, like mallet lords and stuff where I'll teleport behind them right when they're about to swing does some damage and teleport back when they turn around and swing which will reset the CD almost immediately with 55% CDR, this allowed me to drop illusionist completely and take EE instead since I constantly do 3 elemental damage type which gives the team a net 15% damage boost.

It's uses are pretty much priceless- a crap ton of frozen thing popping up and blackhole is on CD? NP, cast EB, TP out to a safe area then TP back in (usually you'll be facetanking so you'll be right by the packs/boss and voila minor DPS loss since you'll be right on top of them with EB going off.

Sometimes TP gets wonky where you'll try to teleport across to another area but it fails, yeah np, tp again to reset the CD and try again.

I've been using calamity lately (back to it) as the group I play T6 with usually got no CC and I was feeling like a teamplayer so... yeah, 90% of the time it's reversal.

Be careful though, if you're lagging or have pings above 300, this might be really tricky to use but once mastered, it's one of the best defensive tool since you can pretty much always avoid ground affixes with it whilst blackhole: Event horizon is off CD but YOU do have to have a good eye for detail else this rune becomes quite useless.
Reply Quote
I don't know if anyone use Mr. Yan pants here, but I somehow found a pair with int vit all res and armor..what are your thoughts on dumping the vit to 2 sockets and and adding some paragon points to vit if needed to compensate?
Reply Quote
06/01/2014 11:13 PMPosted by Cilarnen
I don't know if anyone use Mr. Yan pants here, but I somehow found a pair with int vit all res and armor..what are your thoughts on dumping the vit to 2 sockets and and adding some paragon points to vit if needed to compensate?

It's kinda fun for T5 group rolling, but in the end it's a DPS loss as you gotta stop either using FB or MM, which are worth more than the Pants bonus. It's fun though if you pair with illusionary boots.
Reply Quote
Hmm I see.
Reply Quote
My ability to survive (only playing T5 right now) seems to be really good. 11k armor, 2.2k resist all.

My damage seems to be lacking and I can certainly use a couple more pieces with CDR and CHC. At this point it seems to be about finding pieces that represent minor upgrades to what I already have (ammy/rings/off hand seem to be the best bets, better magefirsts -- though these are better than the previous). and maybe trying to get slight tweaks on existing pieces same primaries, but better values (and maybe a couple secondaries that go nicely like ranged/melee reduction).
Edited by Arindel#1567 on 6/2/2014 4:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
^ I'm in the same boat Arindel. I survive T5 easily, and am even fairly comfy in T6, but my damage could be better. 2.8 k resis, 11k armor, 16 mill in-game toughness and Ive been juggling Vit rolls a bit as I dropped to 186k life, which seemed a bit low, sp now back up to 286k in game - but I dropped a bit of armor was at 12k ...

I too can improve on my magefists, and other gear as well , but small steps at this point - in fact one upgrd yesterday is a new SoE where I was able to add Vit rather than LoH - perfect.

Your gear is nice and seems to be coming along well. I may end up at some point soon, rolling Augs chest, Crimson pants and boots and dropping RoRG for Unity/BK ring ....

One of the great things in this expansion is we don't feel "looked" in to certain gear - scrolling through peoples profiles there are of course many common elements but also a great variety of items used as well. The best thing to do is keep playing, reading, switching and making small changes to see how it impacts kill rate and survivability.
Edited by jHunter#1368 on 6/2/2014 5:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Sot -

I've been incredibly busy IRL with work and family over the last 2 weeks but I will most definitely be updating the OP as I did for Part 2.

@Vishnu - I asked you last time to look over the OP and offer corrections or material that should be updated. You don't need to tell me about skill % or times on skills that are incorrect, I already have a bead on that stuff.

If there is any material that you'd like to write and have added to the OP, please let me know. And thanks for your contribution to this Guides Series.

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
Reply Quote
Why does vanilla arcane use Barrier Blades? Isn't Duplicates a better synergy with Event Horizon and Illusionist? Fire and arcane would then have the exact same build except flame blades becomes duplicates.
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this add on for Chrome that I use. (if you are using Google Chrome.) This will show you your Elemental damage and Elemental elite damage. I believe it would help us in some sort.

Right now I have:

Elemental damage 1524576
Elemental elite damage 2180144

Edit: Added link

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/diablo-3-profile-%20/ncoghbpbhlmmoajjnhienleaanmaagaj
Edited by Jormugrand#6717 on 6/2/2014 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
played my wiz in this build for a long time, haven't been able to make any progressive as of late though.
Kills the motivation to play more.
Reply Quote
06/03/2014 09:52 AMPosted by Zeus
played my wiz in this build for a long time, haven't been able to make any progressive as of late though.

The thing about Chainpocalypse is that the incremental gains in stats don't manifest themselves as "changes you can feel" - not at first. It takes many, many, little improvements before one day you realize...holy crap, I roflstomp one T level higher than I used to.

I used to be able to stomp t4, hang in t5, and be shaky in t6.

Now I absolutely annihilate t4, stomp t5, hang in t6.

If you don't have the interest in the long haul, there are other Wizard builds you can explore - even with the Woh. Try building a low CDR channeling build that doesn't rely on EB for primary damage. I'm sure you can come up with something. I have ;)

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
Reply Quote

Melkor (just above me) is right...this build - and many others - moves forward via incremental gear changes as you get pieces that improve your stats a bit and then fine-tune things via enchants. Once you get your basic set pieces, it seems like you move into micromanagement rather than big "omg, this item will change EVERYTHING" moments.

Some folks enjoy that (I do =P) while others don't, so you may want to try other builds to bring back the spark of interest, and/or try an alt for awhile. It's all about having fun, after all.

After just a quick look at your profile, I suspect that if you upped your toughness, increased your CDR by a few percent, and increased your CHC by a few percent, you would likely experience a notable gain in performance for this build.

I am no expert, though; I only recently found my WoW. I know my own gear still has real gaps - and I will likely be begging for advice here soon. Good luck, hang in there, and here's hoping you can get back to enjoying the game!
Reply Quote
View profile

You hit some wall, thats normal. But this is D3, there is always something behind the wall. As Dr Melk said, ...

I remember D3v times when I upgraded my Nataly boots from 93 int to 99 int and it was just insane. I was so happy.

And those guys with 100 int / high armor / high dex Nataly boots? Maaan...
06/04/2014 06:17 AMPosted by Ghazal
Melkor (just above me) is right...this build - and many others - moves forward via incremental gear changes as you get pieces that improve your stats a bit and then fine-tune things via enchants. Once you get your basic set pieces, it seems like you move into micromanagement rather than big "omg, this item will change EVERYTHING" moments.

Some folks enjoy that (I do =P) while others don't, so you may want to try other builds to bring back the spark of interest, and/or try an alt for awhile. It's all about having fun, after all.

After just a quick look at your profile, I suspect that if you upped your toughness, increased your CDR by a few percent, and increased your CHC by a few percent, you would likely experience a notable gain in performance for this build.

I am no expert, though; I only recently found my WoW. I know my own gear still has real gaps - and I will likely be begging for advice here soon. Good luck, hang in there, and here's hoping you can get back to enjoying the game!

I think I'm starting to fall into this trap of looking for the next big thing to push me into higher torments and that's not really out there at this point. I was gonna post asking for some advice (and I still welcome it) on upping my toughness and just gear in general as I feel like I'm under-performing for my gear level (T4 I can pretty much solo group instances where as in T5 I seem to die in a heartbeat after making a mistake.)

I can see some of the problems in my gear already, CDR and EB on shoulders would be nice, a trifecta roll amulet, a native fire SOJ, probably VIT on helm instead of AR, etc. I'm unsure of whether to go for EB% or VIT on my source since I seem to be having toughness issues.

My other thought is that my bad T5 experiences are related to poor groups as I almost exclusively just run with randoms but even if this is true it sounds too much like an excuse for me to be comfortable relying on it.

I appreciate any advice.
Edited by Wheaties#1252 on 6/4/2014 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your wormhole info is outdated. Still says you get 3 jumps.
Reply Quote
thanks guys.
i agree, most of the gear upgrades now are incremental.
i can do t4 easily tho and i have just been playing other alts for now
Reply Quote
Had my first go at T6 with my arcane archon build. I swap GoO, and vyrs gloves before I cast, and I got rick rolled.. lol. So the grind begins for me.

So far, with buffs: 17mil toughness 400K life 1.4mil DPS 50% CDR 50% crit 350% crit dmg.

Only other things I do to squeeze a little more out of my gear are finding gear with VIT, or I could farm for perfect trifecta RoRG and SoJ. Or I could cheese with Unity ring.. but I prefer having Vyrs bonus and Tals 3piece bonus for more toughness. Maybe swap out BT pants/boots against elites.

I know wiz used to be badass, but sometimes I wish wiz had a 6piece set like Jades on WD.LoH and DoT builds faceroll T6 and the other 3 of us just sit and watch the show. CRAZY!
Reply Quote
I apologize if this has been asked in one of the previous threads, but which follower compliments this build the best? I am going to be doing some solo play trying to farm crafting mats for Crimsons and Aughilds crafting materials, and though I imagine it doesn't matter that much, which will would be the best to use?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]