Diablo® III

Guide: Chainpocalypse (Part 3)

06/05/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Rellin
I apologize if this has been asked in one of the previous threads, but which follower compliments this build the best? I am going to be doing some solo play trying to farm crafting mats for Crimsons and Aughilds crafting materials, and though I imagine it doesn't matter that much, which will would be the best to use?

I tend to stick with the Templar; his resource regen and healing abilities are pretty nice to have. But I am also very fond of the Enchantress for her additional dps and cc. See which one you prefer - just be sure you give them good gear or you won't be able to make a reasonable comparison.
Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing this build, I'm having so much fun with it on my Wiz :)
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone for the build and discussion. I notice that a lot of people are giving up RoRG, but I just don't see what gear swaps would make that worthwhile (for me personally). Can anyone take a look and help me out? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Carnivale-1678/hero/1749413

Any other advice is welcome too!
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 08:25 PMPosted by Carnivale
Thanks everyone for the build and discussion. I notice that a lot of people are giving up RoRG, but I just don't see what gear swaps would make that worthwhile (for me personally). Can anyone take a look and help me out? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Carnivale-1678/hero/1749413

Any other advice is welcome too!

In your current state, you can't give up the RoRG. You're running an older version of the build.

The reason we stay away from Borne's is because:

2-piece borne's forces you to wear RoRG. Right off the bat, you're pushed away from either:

SOJ
BK
Unity

The next problem is, because you slot Borne's chest and shoulders, you have to slot Aughild's head and bracers, which pushes you away from the Strongarm.

Too many concessions for Borne's.

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
Reply Quote
@Melkor: Thank you very much for the reply! I've removed RoRG for unity, augs bracers for strongarms, borns shoulders for augs, borns chest for augs. I've logged out in order to update my profile.

Stats before:
916k damage 9.5 toughness 57 CDR 322k health

Stats after:
922k damage 8.1m toughness 52 CDR 293k health +15% elite damage (unity)

Does that sound correct-ish? Any other advice from here? Thank you again.
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 08:49 PMPosted by Melkor
The next problem is, because you slot Borne's chest and shoulders, you have to slot Aughild's head and bracers, which pushes you away from the Strongarm.

As my group's T6 clear times get faster and faster, I'm starting to value strongarm less and less. Now most elite fights still last enough longer than 2 seconds that I haven't taken off the strongarm yet, but I'm starting to see that it might be in my future. If I were doing T5 I wouldn't value strongarm at all anymore, nothing would last long enough for it to kick in (applies when black hole ends).

The main thing that keeps me using it right now is that the packs that do last longer, are the packs I actually want the damage on. An elite pack of skeletons or something that can be exploded in 2 sec even on T6 doesn't really matter one way or another, but if some mixed packs of angels and anarches or something ends up taking 5-10 seconds as stuff kind of gets a little out of control, then I do care, and then it is worth it.

Still, I'm seeing RoRG + cindercoat + andariel's in my future (can't really see Born's). &DEITY I really wish strongarm kicked in at the start of black hole. In any case, my group isn't quite there yet, with many elite packs being longer than 2 seconds.

Of course tiered rifts might come out before I reach that point, and put strongarm back on top with beefier monsters. I was trying to pay attention to how long most elite packs took in some rifts today, and most of them were averaging something like 4 seconds - but the ones we all got to poop on at once (IE nemesis ones) were quite often dead in under 2 seconds.

Anyway I don't think we're there yet, but it is something to think about (and hedge against when stashing gear).
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 09:07 PMPosted by vishnu
Anyway I don't think we're there yet, but it is something to think about (and hedge against when stashing gear).

Great point, and something I already do (pack rat).

But I don't know if I'd go the way you're describing...I think I'd be more inclined to simply ditch the Aug head for an Andy's, and slot the Aughild Bracer, before I went for the Cindercoat +RoRG. Both the cindercoat and the Andy's have a single thing about them I don't like (a wasted secondary vs. % more fire damage taken)

_____
-Melk
~iRap, You probz don't~
Reply Quote
Finally got some Magefist gloves ( 5 pairs later...) that I could work with.

Took 24 rolls to get 50% chd.

One more piece of gear down!

Any input on which gear to focus on next?
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 09:38 PMPosted by Melkor
06/05/2014 09:07 PMPosted by vishnu

Great point, and something I already do (pack rat).

But I don't know if I'd go the way you're describing...I think I'd be more inclined to simply ditch the Aug head for an Andy's, and slot the Aughild Bracer, before I went for the Cindercoat +RoRG. Both the cindercoat and the Andy's have a single thing about them I don't like (a wasted secondary vs. % more fire damage taken)

Yeah this is mostly going to be a question of toughness. As my party's DPS gets high enough to kill elites that quickly, I think I'll need less of it, so I'll be okay trading down toughness to go andy + cinder for the extra damage. Essentially blow it up before it can touch you mentality.
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 10:15 PMPosted by vishnu
Essentially blow it up before it can touch you mentality.

And with us, that's a good thing to shoot for, I agree.

Remember in SnS, your goal was to kill the Elites before the affixes hit the floor? Same deal here, right?

_____
-Melk
~iRap, You probz don't~
Reply Quote
This is/has been an Awesome thread. I have read every page, (a couple times actually as there are some Serious Nuggets of wisdom tucked away here and there.) Thanks to all who have contributed!

I found my Wand of Woh months ago when the Expansion came out. I remember looking at it and saying to myself, "Meh....." I almost brimmed it. Luckily for me, I am a pack rat and kept it in the Stash. A month ago I found this thread and changed my Diablo gaming experience for the better.

You can see from my Profile that I am using the Vanilla Fire build. The only thing I have have changed is to swap runes on Spectral Blades. I find that the Barrier Blades rune gives me more survivability than Fire Blades. At this point I dont miss the extra Damage that Fire Blades would give me.

I am rolling T4 without much difficulty. T5 is still not worth it, as I die too much. I think my next step in progressing is to re-roll my Rings. I obviously need other improvements, but the RINGS are something I can do right now.... I would like to keep the LOH on one of the rings for the time being as I think it is helping me to survive with the gear I have. I think I should loose the LOH on the Unity for CHD.....I am unsure what to loose on the BK,,,,,the LOH or the %Life. I THINK the LOH will be more beneficial since I do not have a Tremendous Life Pool. Any Advice would be welcome!
Reply Quote
Just a small comment, some folks on here (I think Sotanaht) have been very clear that just spamming the EB key can lead to a delay in recasting it. I did some testing on this and my findings suggest that the "forced delay" from casting EB just before the cooldown expires is actually very material. My estimates suggest in the order of about a 10-15% equivalent increase in CDR.

The moral of this story, for me, is that you either have to be very precise as to when you (repeatedly) hit EB, or work out another way of avoiding this "forced delay" which is more material than I would have thought.

Specifically, under the test conditions I used, killing the Skeleton King went from:
- 34 seconds when timing EB spams precisely
- 39 seconds when spamming EB hectically and triggering the "forced delay"

That's a pretty material difference to my mind...

P.
Edited by MrPetrov#2979 on 6/6/2014 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So I'm just an upcoming new wizard, and I quite literally have horrible gear right now. I'm just 68 and using random pieces I've picked up doing bounties. I've been using ranged DPS with CC to stay alive, trying different things all the time to see what works... lots of blanketing an area with blizzard and dropping successive meteors while using electrocute:SoP to regain AP.

I've been reading about the chainpocalypse and think this sounds really fun, but it sounds like damage mitigation is going to be a huge issue for someone with none of the gear listed in the guide. Other than trying to gather gear with ideal stats until I start seeing the right legendaries, do you have any advice for someone like me who wants to try a build like this? Should I stick with something more ranged-centric until I reach a minimum level of some of the primary stats?

That's not really my style, I tend to jump in right away and start training myself to use the playstyle first, and let the gear slowly come to me.

EDIT: Removed a couple questions about primary stats as I saw during one of many re-reads that it was answered in section V.

Can't wait to get home and play around with this...
Edited by Cryme#1135 on 6/6/2014 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 05:58 AMPosted by MrPetrov
Just a small comment, some folks on here (I think Sotanaht) have been very clear that just spamming the EB key can lead to a delay in recasting it. I did some testing on this and my findings suggest that the "forced delay" from casting EB just before the cooldown expires is actually very material. My estimates suggest in the order of about a 10-15% equivalent increase in CDR.

The moral of this story, for me, is that you either have to be very precise as to when you (repeatedly) hit EB, or work out another way of avoiding this "forced delay" which is more material than I would have thought.

P.

Let's say someone has over 55% CDR. Or let's say 60% +, does that change anything? Or regardless, if we're spamming at the moment the CD is rdy, we run into this issue?
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 09:02 AMPosted by Avesta

Let's say someone has over 55% CDR. Or let's say 60% +, does that change anything? Or regardless, if we're spamming at the moment the CD is rdy, we run into this issue?

The latter. Regardless of your CDR, if you spam EB just before the cooldown, you will hit a forced delay. Obviously, the relative impact of an extra delay is bigger the faster your cooldown, so it's more noticeable with a higher CDR. But with any CDR, whether 50% or 60%, it's still a big impact.

I edited my message above to show what I found the impact was on killing the Skeleton King on T4.

P.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried using the tr four piece set with this? I just got a wow today so I haven't recrafted my gear appropriately (ar instead of meteor on boots, explosive % instead of ar on shoulders) and I still need some different rolls on other pieces (vit instead of ias on magefists, 10% damage instead of vit on wow), but it seems to be faster than straight conflag/eb based on my admittedly limited testing.
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 11:48 PMPosted by horaiyo
Has anyone tried using the tr four piece set with this? I just got a wow today so I haven't recrafted my gear appropriately (ar instead of meteor on boots, explosive % instead of ar on shoulders) and I still need some different rolls on other pieces (vit instead of ias on magefists, 10% damage instead of vit on wow), but it seems to be faster than straight conflag/eb based on my admittedly limited testing.

im using tal rashas but thats only cause i dont have a better ammy and a good aguhilds yet to put my strongam bracers on
Reply Quote
I was having trouble in T5,,,,so took Tele off my bar and went to Frost Nova/Cold snap for the extra CC. So....Now I have Frost Nova/Cold Snap along with BlackHole/Event Horizon for CC...
At 56% CDR,,,,I have CC up about 90% of the time if I manage my button Mashing correctly.

Now I am able to run T5 much more reliably and even to carry my weaker buddy in act 1 and 2.
I really miss Tele (its a crutch) , so I occasionally equip my Illusory Boots to , sort of, make up for the loss of Teleport.

When I use the Illusory Boots, it DOES nerf my damage a bit, as I have to equip Capn Crimson belt to keep the set bonus. However I find that Damage is not much of an issue if I have adequate Crowd Control. Once I find a decent SOJ, I will be able to blow through T5 without much problem.
Reply Quote
^ Nice, nova/BH-oscillation is great crowd control, if you feel you have enough CDR try out bone chill ( the 33% damage boost helps everyone in party).

Just an FYI you still have Illusionist passive loaded on your profile, prob from when you use teleport.

Looking good!
Reply Quote
Guys, with my current setup (eu profile) I can do T5 without deaths if I play sensibly, but I really struggle with rift guardians. I don;t have a good fire ammy or fire SoJ, so I'm not using my MB+2, but rather, a pretty standard Arcane spec. I could use Crimson's, but I really like the protection Blackthorne gives me when dealing with blue/yellows - really allows me to face tank while perma-CC'ing with black hole and frost nova.

Any tips on how better to deal with RG's with a WoH (non MM) spec in T5+?

P.
Edited by MrPetrov#2979 on 6/8/2014 1:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]