Diablo® III

Guide: Chainpocalypse (Part 3)

Well after a bit of thought and experimentation with my Arcane EB build, a new combination seems to have helped me make the jump through T5 quite effectively. I've not tried it on T6 yet.

Basically, I really like MI-Duplicates, but they are quite inefficient if you use a spell like Blades or MM - as Mirror Images are mainly good for recasting Black Hole, Frost Nova and taunting. So, what I did was try replacing my String of Ears and Captain's Pants with Captain's Belt and Hexing Pants, respectively. I then specced out of Flame Blades and replaced it with Magic Weapon.

The result was a really synergistic combination of Mirror Images *only* casting Black Hole and Frost Nova, together with EB-Unleashed doing 25m crits on whites and 50m crits on Elites. I also specced out of my Paragon Life on Hit, which is a useless stat with just EB-Unleased as your damage dealer. This let me spec into 50% Area Damage, which is very noticeable DPS. I can now defeat T5 rift guardians handsomely solo.

Given hexing pants are a great resource cost reducer, I'm also going to play around with replacing Magic Weapon with Arcane Orbit. This could be interesting as Arcane Orbit works well with a constant-motion build like hexing pants. I expect that Magic Weapon > Arcane Orbit in terms of practical dps delivery though., but I will test.

In terms of safety, I find I am not missing Blakthorne status protections as much as I thought, as I am constantly moving and not (trying to) facetanking (unlike my old build).

Hope this gives others some things to think about.

P.
Edited by MrPetrov#2979 on 6/8/2014 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Very interesting.

I have grown very attached to my blackthorns, and after some consideration, finally rolled %EB onto chest in place of armor. I run T5 group, and can do solo T6 bounties quite handily.

I really like the MI idea, and I have over the last two weeks rolled nice Crimsons pants and boots, and an Aug chest - thinking to dump RoRG in favor of unity. I may really switch it up now and try what you are running.

Thanks for the update. I cant get to your profile? Eu server?
Reply Quote
Hi JH. Yup, I'm on the EU server.

It's a different play style, constantly moving and ducking in and out - it will take some adjustment from the usual facetank/blades style. I find it a material DPS improvement, you'll feel like a bigger contributor in a group is my guess. The biggest risk remains sparker elites, but that's no different whether you have Blackthorne or not.

Apart from the straight dps improvement, your MI''s are so much more efficient because they're *only* casting Black Hole or Frost Nova (ie no useless casts), which elps solo and in groups hugely. It's still a melee build, so expect more deaths than those wussy archon dudes/dudettes.

Remember to unspec Unwavering Will and replace it with Temporal Flux or Illusionist.

P.
Edited by MrPetrov#2979 on 6/8/2014 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^ Ok, I looked you up, your wizard is looking great.

I have a nice MLW, arcane strongarms, I'll need to come up with an arcane SOJ .... then figure out glove replacements (maybe) and a source with EB% rather than fire %.
Plus no hexing pants and I feel that dropping SoE, EoE, and Blck Th. I'll be running around a bit more even with all the cc effects spamming.

Looks like I'm a few weeks out on this iteration of Melkies Chainpoc... Ive only just rolled my new magefists and better strong-arm this weekend. Let the hunt for those missing part begin again.
Edited by jHunter#1368 on 6/8/2014 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys, been lurking these past week but decided to post today. I can run T6 solo (with unity on follower, of course), and T5 with a group efficiently, but all I see are people saying how their EB hits for 8-10m on trash and 15m+ on elites. I'm only seeing about 6m on trash, and 10m on elites without Harrington. I've rolled EB% on shoulders and chest, and my strongarm, amulet, magefist and SoJ all have fire damage on them. So how else can I improve my gear to ultimately increase my EB damage output without sacrificing too much toughness? I rerolled my chest piece's armor to EB% and shoulder life% to EB% and my toughness took a 4m hit :(
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 07:38 PMPosted by Littlefinger
Hey guys, been lurking these past week but decided to post today. I can run T6 solo (with unity on follower, of course), and T5 with a group efficiently, but all I see are people saying how their EB hits for 8-10m on trash and 15m+ on elites. I'm only seeing about 6m on trash, and 10m on elites without Harrington. I've rolled EB% on shoulders and chest, and my strongarm, amulet, magefist and SoJ all have fire damage on them. So how else can I improve my gear to ultimately increase my EB damage output without sacrificing too much toughness? I rerolled my chest piece's armor to EB% and shoulder life% to EB% and my toughness took a 4m hit :(

Change your frost nova rune to bone chill, and swap illusionist (you don't seem to be running teleport anyway?) for EE (you have all 4 elements covered in your build thanks to a lightning woh) and you'll see those numbers come up a lot.

Of course I'm also a pretty big advocate for swapping your deflection out for duplicates, which will get you 5 frost novas and 5 bone chills instead of just one of each, but I'm in a minority on that, a lot of people like deflection (it is good, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather just crowd control everything to heck).
Edited by vishnu#1844 on 6/8/2014 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 07:51 PMPosted by vishnu
06/08/2014 07:38 PMPosted by Littlefinger

Change your frost nova rune to bone chill, and swap illusionist (you don't seem to be running teleport anyway?) for EE (you have all 4 elements covered in your build thanks to a lightning woh) and you'll see those numbers come up a lot.

Of course I'm also a pretty big advocate for swapping your deflection out for duplicates, which will get you 5 frost novas and 5 bone chills instead of just one of each, but I'm in a minority on that, a lot of people like deflection (it is good, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather just crowd control everything to heck).

Wow. Dude I can't believe I kept my Illusionist in there. Thanks for the catch! Yup I'll definitely try EE, but when I'm casting EB even with a lightning-element weapon, does the EB apply 2 stacks, 1 fire from the skill itself, and 1 lightning from the weapon element, both at once?
Reply Quote
Yes, that is how it works.
Reply Quote
I've hit a complete rockbottom with gear and build setup with woh if your up to it I need another woh user to run a T6 rift with me and prove me more dps so I can learn from you.
Reply Quote
06/09/2014 01:28 AMPosted by Juni
I've hit a complete rockbottom with gear and build setup with woh if your up to it I need another woh user to run a T6 rift with me and prove me more dps so I can learn from you.

Your gear is pretty top end in every slot. Not a huge fan of obsidian ring of the zodiac, it is good but unity/BK would be more damage most likely. Other than that, very little room for gear improvement.

Kill speed differences will mostly come down to spec, as once we're talking about that gear level there's not much room for any item to be significantly outpaced. My DPS should beat yours pretty easily, due to EE and bone chill. If we were partied though, you'd be getting the benefit of my EE and bone chill also, so it wouldn't "show up."

I will say I'm also not a huge fan of 2 piece vyr's, as using captain crimson belt means you don't have room to swap in the two power belts: string for tanking, harrington for DPS. Even if you didn't care about harrington, witching hour should offer more damage than the 500 int from vyr's. For arcane spec I'd go with cooldown-fecta shrine gloves + harrington (or string or witching hour) + crimson pant/boot.
Edited by vishnu#1844 on 6/9/2014 5:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just one more note on "bone chill". I switched to this rune (especially in public games where its benefit is reaped by the entire party) after I breached 55% cdr. I still am able to oscillate BH(event) and nova (now bone chill) with very little down time, but the damage bonus is ... well its 33%!!! If you are already crit'ing for 6 mill or more, this will really boost the damage. My gear, which is not so great .... allows me to crit 8+ mill on mobs and 15+ mill on elites, with higher spikes, and if harringtons is swapped ....... oh boy!
Reply Quote
06/09/2014 04:46 AMPosted by vishnu
I will say I'm also not a huge fan of 2 piece vyr's

Neither am I, though I don't think it's necessarily a pure loss. CDR/CD/CHC worships would be ideal, and locking yourself out of the string is not so great, but with the recent discussions regarding affixes that can not be mitigated through melee reduction that typically can be, I'm not sure I'm loving SoE atm. I don't even really use it in t6 when I group, only when I solo.

With Vyr's you get 50 All res as a result of the 500 int bonus. If I'm not slotting String of Ears, I'm personally slotting Harrington's, but I don't hate Vyr's completely. Harrington is circumstantial DPS, 2-piece Vyrs is not. But obviously, I recognize that there are more optimal selections.

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
Reply Quote
yea string of ear is not really necessary when you get the crafted pieces to roll the way you want.

@Vishnu

I'm personally not a favor of wiz with no tp in their build as they seem to trail behind the group without it. I had to sacrifice bone chill for speed, anyway let me add you Vish so I can see if your dps is more optimized for group play.
Reply Quote
I'll do a run with you if I'm not busy, but as I mentioned, my damage increases are party-wide.
Reply Quote
Question chain reaction or short fuse?
Reply Quote
06/09/2014 10:54 AMPosted by ToCool4aName
Question chain reaction or short fuse?

Chain reaction is more damage, so almost always the right choice. If your gear is kind of weird with high attack speed but low CDR, short fuse can provide a big "burst" of damage, but that's about it. Once you're properly geared with low attack speed high CDR short fuse is worse in every way.
Reply Quote
Hello fellow wizards

Been lurking these threads for a while now just wanted to say thank you to the OP and vishnu for helping out the community you guys are doing a great job.

Vishnu I dont understand why your build isnt the most popular among everyone here. Even without a dmg lightning Woh I still believe that your build offers the most survivability as well as effective damage for you and your party.. Anyways just my 2 cents

1 Question for you Vishnu do you ever use a harrington for solo or in a group?
Edited by Muru#1863 on 6/9/2014 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I know my gear needs a bit of work. Can someone please look over it and advise what I should upgrade. What I have on at the moment is the best gear I have acquired to this point. I have only been playing the game since ROS came out. My plan from the start was to go fire but I am running arcane vanilla build as that is the type of gear that I have been able to find up to this point. What items should I focus on changing first?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]