Diablo® III

Frozen Pulse.. too OP?

Apparently, Frozen Pulse is the only affix that does not get reduced by elite damage reduction. Well, not only, the molten explosion doesn't, either.

I have 23.5% elite damage reduction and I solo on T5 without unity (because I just can't sacrifice rorg/soj right now), and Frozen Pulse is the thing that kills me consistently. Either directly, or the result of it taking off so much damage with each pulse.

If it has Frozen Pulse, I will most likely die, because it's really hard to see it initially - and when you do, it's basically too late. I never die otherwise, unless I'm just being lazy/stupid.

Also, it would be nice if all elite affixes consistently got mitigated by ranged/melee reduce, as some of them are reduced - while some are being ignored: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12673259125?page=1#2
Reply Quote
Walk away from it. Yeah it is quite rough but if you see health dropping or can see the pulse, just move. If you're walled in, good luck!
Reply Quote
Frozen pulse is only OP because you never know its there until you you go all voltorb.
Reply Quote
I wish it was a wizard skill so it would get nerfed. :)
Reply Quote
it's not op it's just way too sneaky
it literally spawns inside of your character which makes it impossible to see until it starts doing damage
Reply Quote
It behaves like an Arcane Sentry I believe. As when you die it refers to it being the cause of your death like Arcane Sentry.
Reply Quote
Frozen Pulse is annoying. It pulses, you move. It follows you-- so you wind up running around like an idiot for 10 seconds instead of DPSing.

If you're fortunate enough to be walled or jailed, or thunderstormed at the same time, GG.
Reply Quote
Frozen Pulse definitely has some offending qualities. It's small, quick, and homing. The pulse is not terribly visible when surrounded by more than a handful of enemies. And in a crowd, you won't even see the damned thing coming half the time.

That being said, as far as the orb itself goes? Once it stops homing, avoiding it is usually a pretty trivial matter. Note: usually.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Frozen Pulse can be tricky for several reasons as was already stated in this thread. However, it is possible that there is some sort of bug happening as well. I haven't seen too many discussions about it, but this isn't the first one I've seen. I'll see what I can find out, though, and thanks for the reports!
Reply Quote
06/13/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Grimiku
Frozen Pulse can be tricky for several reasons as was already stated in this thread. However, it is possible that there is some sort of bug happening as well. I haven't seen too many discussions about it, but this isn't the first one I've seen. I'll see what I can find out, though, and thanks for the reports!

Is there also any plans on changing undodgeable damage like Thunderstorm? And while we are looking at it, there is NO good reason why Frozen, Vortex, and Jailer are doing damage. Frozen already freezes which is deadly enough in the higher torments, but the fact that it not only does build up damage but burst damage when it bursts is hilariously dumb.
Reply Quote
I've come to like the Frozen Orbs actually, in a weird sadistic way I guess. When it keeps following me and i run and run, the little voice in my head is screaming "go away go away GO AWAY!!!" Of course, I have the luxury of sucking them in with Black Hole in a tight spot...
Reply Quote
Don't nerf the damn thing. It's about the only thing that keeps the game interesting below T5, and gawd knows I don't like to wander above T4.
Reply Quote
Almost every enemy affix in this game could stand to be tweaked. This game reeks of poor quality. Frozen Pulse doesn't kill me unless I get screwed by movement imparing affixes, but it is pretty annoying that you always end up taking the first couple pulses just because you can't see it until it is too late.
As for the regular Frozen affix. I'm not too upset that the explosion does damage, but the fact that it does constant damage just for standing near it is going overboard. Often times the area taken up by frozen orbs is so much that there literally is no safe place to stand within 20 yards in any direction. This means that there is no escaping the ticking damage. It is also just unnecessary to make the frozen orbs all explode at different times, this causes you to sometimes be hit 3-4 times in a row by different ice orbs before you ever even become unfrozen.
Reply Quote
We need the beam back so idiots can know where it is. xD Otherwise... It's not hard to avoid ground effects... seriously. Stop standing around.
Reply Quote
As I said in another thread about this damn thing, it would be less OP if it flew around above your head and rained pulses down on you. That way you can see the damn thing coming when in the middle of a fight.
Reply Quote
I just hate when the damn thing follows you... I ran away from you now SHOO!!!
Reply Quote
Study elites, learn their behavior and develop your own tactics.

Nothing is OP in this game anymore unfortunately :(
Reply Quote
@defender lol cause your gear is so great. I bet you cant even do anything past t3. Mr. paragon level 64.
Reply Quote
Yes nerf the game because people stand in the harmful stuff and not move
Edited by Abirn#1256 on 6/13/2014 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/13/2014 09:57 PMPosted by Grimiku
I haven't seen too many discussions about it, but this isn't the first one I've seen. I'll see what I can find out, though, and thanks for the reports!

There is an interesting topic within the Monk forum which discusses Frozen Pulse, as well as forms of damage mitigation in general, such as Elite, Melee, and Ranged, as well as Monk specific skills. It would be great to have some thoughts about the philosophy of these aspects (similarly to what is occasionally mentioned within patch notes regarding items and skills), including confirmation of which forms of mitigation apply to which sources of damage.

Edit: Link - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12673259125
Edited by MonTerran#1251 on 6/13/2014 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]