Diablo® III

Upcoming Change - One With Everything

They are not changing STI to give 100%. Now dex will give armor without passive.
Reply Quote
Good change!

Now it would be cool if dodge could actually dodge the elites affixes, like it was possible in D3V in the earlier days.

Due to how dodge stacks, it will be almost impossible to reach 40%, so it shouldn't be a problem game design wise
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Edit: After doing the math, it appears this is not in fact a buff but a net-zero change.

You can see my conclusions here --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13183868274

Or, for the lazy, here --
Conclusions (for those who do not care about the math)
1. My monk will gain about 30% mitigation against all resists and about 50% mitigation against poison (the element I am currently stacking).
I will also gain a passive slot by dropping STI.

2. A theoretically perfect OWE monk without ANY rerolls will gain about 42% mitigation in their single-resist but lose about 20% mitigation against all other resists.

3. A theoretically perfect OWE monk that rerolls to a theoretically perfect new Harmony monk will see a net change of ~0% mitigation.

tl;dr -- Net-0 change for a max-monk and slight buff for people with mixed-resist gear. Not the mitigation increase we were looking for.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 6/17/2014 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Will we be able to roll All Resist in the Primary now? Or will that still be nixed if a Secondary resist exists?
Reply Quote
Considering that the biggest issues with survivability for monks in T6 is elite affixes, and elite affixes are rarely physical damage, I don't get how focusing on phys resist increases your overall survivability...
Reply Quote
Will single resists rolls still prevent a piece of gear from rolling all resist, and vice versa?
Reply Quote
View profile
06/17/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Nevalistis
06/17/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Davlok
So let me get this new math right pt2

Gear = 1000 AR, 800 Lit Resist
With OWE = 1000 + 800 = 1800 AR
With Harmony
= 1000 + 800*.3 = 1240 AR
= 1000 AR + 800 LR = 1800 Lightning Resist

This is correct.

So to make sure I'm understanding correctly then... with this breakdown...

Gear = 1000 AR, 300 Lit Res, 300 Fire res, 200 Poison res...

With Harmony:

=1000 + ( (300+300+200) x .3) = 1240 AR (with 1540 fire, 1540 lightning, 1440 poison).

Yes? No?
Reply Quote
We don't die from physical (at least, I don't), so no, I don't see this as a buff. Please leave OWE alone, or add Harmony as a secondary.
Reply Quote
I went from having +780 to all resistances from old OWE to 621 arcane, 958 lightning, 512 arcane, 412 cold and fire, 520 poison on the new harmony. kind of confusing :S

By the way, this still requires us to target secondary resists to some degree -- we just need to target those resistances that are much more dangerous than others. Ie. fire.

Nevalistis, I welcome the change as it seems to be moving in the right direction, but the aim here seems to be a bit off.

The way you've described it, it seems as though the devs wanted to keep the status quo. Ie. we're buffing toughness by switching dex to give +armor, but reducing the effect of OWE. On net, you should have the same sort of toughness.

06/17/2014 11:36 AMPosted by Nevalistis
overall you shouldn't notice a big difference

That's the problem, we want to notice a difference. We don't want the status quo. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I feel monks as a class need a buff in the defense department to be competitive as we are much more vulnerable relative to the other melee classes.
Reply Quote
View profile
complete fail... give us our dodge back
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:17 PMPosted by TheMilkman
06/17/2014 12:14 PMPosted by DrSweetass
Not crazy about this, seems like too big of a nerf to our resist in addition to a nerf to an already crappy dodge. What about giving us a partial boost to armor from our dex and maybe a partial boost to dodge? Or making dodge more dependable?

Unless the armor boost helps absorb the big hit we're gonna take from this, I'm not 100% sold on this idea.

Looking forward to finding out on the PTR i guess.

Wat?

Have you never played Barb or Crusader? Armor is substantially better than dodge in every way. How is that a nerf?

I havent, seriously only play my monk. Not praising dodge at all. read what i said, specifically

"Unless the armor boost helps absorb the big hit we're gonna take from this, I'm not 100% sold on this idea."

Point is i'm skeptical till i see it. put down your pitchfork
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Davlok
So let me get this new math right pt2

Gear = 1000 AR, 800 Lit Resist
With OWE = 1000 + 800 = 1800 AR
With Harmony
= 1000 + 800*.3 = 1240 AR
= 1000 AR + 800 LR = 1800 Lightning Resist

Assuming that's right, it seems like you'll want to spread your resists around now. So instead of picking one, you'll want a little of each... Doing some math here...

OWE:
160 Specific resist (all the same) x 6 = 960

Harmony:
160 Specific resists (all different) x 6 = 160 +(160 *.3 * 5) = 400

Note that that's not so much worse than 600 AR that you could get from AR on those 6 primary slots. OWE basically makes a secondarty about 66% as good as a primary. So if their goal was to make OWE still useful but not as incredible, it looks like it at least passes a smell test.

06/17/2014 12:23 PMPosted by cardboardbox
By the way, this still requires us to target secondary resists to some degree -- we just need to target those resistances that are much more dangerous than others. Ie. fire.

And actually, this is true as well. If certain resists aren't as dangerous to you - maybe you've got an immunity amulet or Blackthornes, or just plain die to Arcane a lot - then OWE is even better.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 6/17/2014 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is a major buff, thank you very much!

For those who do not quite see it as a buff, dodge->armor + phys-res stacking -> some all-res = ~2x to 3x the effective toughness of our current situation.

It is a bit limiting in that single-res stacking other than phys is a relatively major downgrade but even a smattering of single-res stacking + dex->armor will be in the 1.5-1.75x toughness range.

If this went live today, my monk could unequip 2x unity and tank T6 exactly like I tank it right now with 2x.

<3 this change.

I'm glad my OWE resist is physical, going to be sooooo tanky.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:01 PMPosted by Fei
Do not like this change. I actually really really like OWE.

Big deal if YOU liked it. It's an overpowered Passive that needed to be changed to finally give Monks more freedom to gear up.
Reply Quote
First, both Monks and Demon Hunters will no longer receive Dodge from Dexterity. Instead, they will receive Armor, similar to Barbarians and Crusaders. For more information on this change, please refer to our Patch 2.1.0 PTR Preview blog.

So instead of fixing Dodge, they're just removing it? Well, I guess that does solve the problem, but somehow I'm still... underwhelmed. Why not just remove Dex entirely? How does this help to preserve the unique feel of these classes' play styles? Not a fail, exactly, but I'm giving it a D.

BTW, what about all of the skills and passives that give Dodge bonuses. Unaffected?

06/17/2014 11:36 AMPosted by Nevalistis
Second, One With Everything is being replaced with a new passive called Harmony. Harmony allows 30% of your single elemental resistances from items to apply to all elements.

Looks like they finally figured out a way to nerf OWE, which they've been desperate to do since forever. I guess it's just too bad that monks other passives still suck. F.
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 6/17/2014 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
first reaction: yikes!

Currently, my monk has around 200 AR and 1200 Arcane Resist. This change will mean I go from 1400 AR to 1400 Arcane Resist, and 200 + (1200 * 0.3 = 360) = 560 in all the others. That's a pretty substantial hit.

However! Let's do some theory-crafting.

Let's say I have 150 Resist (average roll for a legendary, 140-160) in each of the 5 Resists (physical, poison, arcane, fire, lightning).
This means each piece will contribute 45 AR, making my total AR [s]195.[/s] 150 + (45 * 5) = 375 AR.

If, on the other hand, I have them all in the same resist, I will have 750 in that resist, and 225 in the rest. [s]That is rather alarming: it's still better to stack the same single resist.[/s]

Now, let's say I rolled 90 AR in those slots instead (average roll for a legendary, 90-100). My AR would be 450. That's over twice the AR.

My short-term claim is that we're going to reroll the +Armor stat on all our gear to AR and call it a day.
Edited by vortic#1880 on 6/17/2014 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

For those who do not quite see it as a buff, dodge->armor + phys-res stacking -> some all-res = ~2x to 3x the effective toughness of our current situation.

It is a bit limiting in that single-res stacking other than phys is a relatively major downgrade but even a smattering of single-res stacking + dex->armor will be in the 1.5-1.75x toughness range.

If this went live today, my monk could unequip 2x unity and tank T6 exactly like I tank it right now with 2x.

<3 this change.

As usual blindly thinking everything is amazing. Ill hold off on my assumptions and praise until i see how it actually plays and how the class performs in comparison to other classes.
Reply Quote

<3 this change.

who is dying from physical attacks? this change invalidates a lot of people's gear
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wat?

Have you never played Barb or Crusader? Armor is substantially better than dodge in every way. How is that a nerf?

I havent, seriously only play my monk. Not praising dodge at all. read what i said, specifically

"Unless the armor boost helps absorb the big hit we're gonna take from this, I'm not 100% sold on this idea."

Point is i'm skeptical till i see it. put down your pitchfork

It is and will be substantially better than Dodge. Barbs have much less problem dying solely because they get around 20k+ armour with good gear. Monks will be on the same level as them now, depending on how this OWE nerf works out and what the change to STI is.
Edited by EvilDoc#2520 on 6/17/2014 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]