Diablo® III

Upcoming Change - One With Everything

06/17/2014 12:27 PMPosted by Fei
who is dying from physical attacks? this change invalidates a lot of people's gear

Dodge wasn't really working on a lot of elite affix, so dex -> armor is going to be giving everyone 7k-10k(dps specs) more armor, that + some all resists is going to be > OWE right now.
Edited by soci#1609 on 6/17/2014 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:26 PMPosted by vortic
If, on the other hand, I have them all in the same resist, I will have 750 in that resist, and 225 in the rest. That is rather alarming: it's still better to stack the same single resist.

Uh no, you'll have 4 considerable weaknesses and one overbuffed strength.
Reply Quote
This is a major buff, thank you very much!

For those who do not quite see it as a buff, dodge->armor + phys-res stacking -> some all-res = ~2x to 3x the effective toughness of our current situation.

It is a bit limiting in that single-res stacking other than phys is a relatively major downgrade but even a smattering of single-res stacking + dex->armor will be in the 1.5-1.75x toughness range.

If this went live today, my monk could unequip 2x unity and tank T6 exactly like I tank it right now with 2x.

<3 this change.

Why would physical-resist be better?

Most elite-affixes are not physical damage anyway. 0_o
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:29 PMPosted by Bombus
If, on the other hand, I have them all in the same resist, I will have 750 in that resist, and 225 in the rest. That is rather alarming: it's still better to stack the same single resist.

You missed my point. I would only have 195 AR if I spread them out, as opposed to 225/750 if I stacked the same. Isn't that alarming to you?
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Strego
As usual blindly thinking everything is amazing.

What happened to your campaign to become the Monk forum MVP? It was going strong, but kinda petered out at some point.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 6/17/2014 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:30 PMPosted by PappaPia
Why would physical-resist be better?

Most elite-affixes are not physical damage anyway. 0_o

Physical actually is still the biggest damage type outside of elite affixs, see Mallet, Anarchs charge, Winged Assassin, etc. Elite affixs will be the same since most players will get a few thousand armor.
Reply Quote
As a non-monk. Does this finally mean that a single resist isn't going to screw me out of getting AR on gear?
Reply Quote
By my math, getting six pieces with a different element on each at 160 gives 66.6 (repeating, of course) allres per piece. Obviously this is an average in a perfectly balanced spread of six items, but it might help compare to allres as a roll.

It's worse than 100 allres, but it's still a secondary roll that you can get on rings and such. Also, with the new system if you have an Andy's hat and didn't go poison you can get some good benefit from that 200 poison resist. This is all getting really awkward, but I'm game to see it through I suppose.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:29 PMPosted by Bombus

06/17/2014 12:30 PMPosted by vortic
You missed my point. I would only have 195 AR if I spread them out, as opposed to 225/750 if I stacked the same. Isn't that alarming to you?

I'm sorry, but I think you did your math wrong.
Reply Quote
So 2 steps forward for armor, 1 step backwards for all resist and the loss of 40% dodge plus all the effort and time and resources needed to re-find and re-roll gear doesnt sound appealing at all.
Reply Quote
To add some more concrete math to my previous post:

Let's assume I have X AR, where all sources come from single resist. This means that with Harmony, [s]I will have 1.3 * X AR.[/s]
Each resist boosts my AR by 30%, meaning I will have 1.3 * 5 * X = 6.5 * X AR.

There are 13 pieces of gear, so for simplicity, let's assume I have 10 slots with single resist, 2 in each.

However, what if I stacked all my gear to have the same single resist? Taking the example from above, I now would have 10 * X in the single resist, and (10 * X) * 0.3 = 3 * X in all the other resists.

[s]Obviously, 3 * X > 1.3 * X. How much? By a factor of roughly 2.3.

What does this mean? Even with Harmony, it is still better to stack a single resist than to perfectly spread them out evenly..[/s]

This means that spreading out your resists will net you a 6.5 / 3 = 217% increase in AR, and a 6.5 / 10 = 65% decrease to your stacked resist. Interesting...

EDIT: if anyone knows how to strikethrough, I'd appreciate a tip.
Edited by vortic#1880 on 6/17/2014 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:35 PMPosted by DeeVeeOus
As a non-monk. Does this finally mean that a single resist isn't going to screw me out of getting AR on gear?

I don't think so.
Reply Quote
So assuming this fixes our defensive problem, it creates another one. We now will have one less primary attribute to use in every slot when we already had low dps.
Reply Quote
Wow, all my gear are OWE resists ... I have salvaged trifecta that doesn't have my OWE resists because i wanted to gear towards OWE and now for my rewards it's going to be trash with 2.1.. Thx Blizzz... Didn't you said you don't want to invalidate people with OWE gear.. Is this the best that you can come up with?
Edited by Immortal#6907 on 6/17/2014 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:37 PMPosted by Zen
By my math, getting six pieces with a different element on each at 160 gives 66.6 (repeating, of course) allres per piece. Obviously this is an average in a perfectly balanced spread of six items, but it might help compare to allres as a roll.

It's worse than 100 allres, but it's still a secondary roll that you can get on rings and such. Also, with the new system if you have an Andy's hat and didn't go poison you can get some good benefit from that 200 poison resist. This is all getting really awkward, but I'm game to see it through I suppose.

........ Except that all the 1k+ lightning-resist I have stacked in my current gear is going to contribute only 300+ AR.

Not sure if I would be happy to benefit from Andy's poison-resist in exchange for such a huge loss of AR.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:37 PMPosted by Bombus
I'm sorry, but I think you did your math wrong.

It's possible, but without pointing out to me where, it's hard for me to judge.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Blix
So assuming this fixes our defensive problem, it creates another one. We now will have one less primary attribute to use in every slot when we already had low dps.

Tell me how?
Your dps is going down from getting Ar on shoulders? or pants? or boots?
You don't need AR on every piece of gear. Barbs and Crusaders can live with <800 AR (including paragon).
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:38 PMPosted by vortic
Let's assume I have X AR, where all sources come from single resist. This means that with Harmony, I will have 1.3 * X AR.
There are 13 pieces of gear, so for simplicity, let's assume I have 10 slots with single resist, 2 in each.

However, what if I stacked all my gear to have the same single resist? Taking the example from above, I now would have 10 * X in the single resist, and (10 * X) * 0.3 = 3 * X in all the other resists.

You'd have 1500 arcane and 500 allres.
Picking harmony, you will definately want to even out your resistances.
But you won't be without benefit from stacking one you already have in abundance.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 12:33 PMPosted by Demiwraith
06/17/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Strego
As usual blindly thinking everything is amazing.

What happened to your campaign to become the Monk forum MVP? It was going strong, but kinda petered out at some point.

There was no campaign. There was me telling him that he was hurting the class more than helping it. I know You're just looking for a way to White Knight Druin but pls just stay out of it
Reply Quote
didn't tought of it until then. Would be nice to see a change to mantra of evasion, because even now, it's not that useful.
Edited by TreBaHc#2495 on 6/17/2014 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]