Diablo® III

need clarification on greater rifts

View profile
which i won't play. makes no sense to me to play the new content before it's even out. i'll be bored of it already by release date.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/18/2014 02:27 PMPosted by pigeonspank
it's like i'm talking to a child here.

/facepalm
Reply Quote
View profile
nah that's showing the maturity. cause why reply with an actual argument like an adult...at least drothvader is actually making legitimate arguments. you're just in angry nerd mode.
Reply Quote
View profile
Because you're being pointedly ignorant.

Before the PTR is even released.

Look at your own exclusionary drivel and apply it to your own "argument". Greater rifts are a race against time - you want the ability to STOP TIME, no consequence.

You've gotten simple answers.

IT
IS
A
RACE.

Dont step to the starting line if you cant finish, or at least dont expect a medal.
Reply Quote
Both of you, the ad hominem attacks are completely unnecessary and add nothing to the conversation.

You have nothing to gain by flaming and insulting each other.

In the long run, I think the OP's concern about needing to use the restroom, eat, answer the door / phone are adequately addressed by hitting the ESC key and pausing the game.

Attack the idea, not the poster.
Reply Quote
View profile
anyway...droth you're right about gear switching. that would especially matter on ladder with the fresh non-geared characters and in HC. hadn't thought of that.

i mean you could lock it, but that might be goofy.
Reply Quote
View profile
oh i'm not trying to gain anything, it's just fun. i'm always perfectly nice until someone starts in on me. then it's a game.

edit: and yeah you're right about the ESC key. either way you end up gaming the system so why add a 2nd way to do it. makes sense.
Edited by pigeonspank#1488 on 6/18/2014 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 02:41 PMPosted by pigeonspank
oh i'm not trying to gain anything, it's just fun. i'm always perfectly nice until someone starts in on me. then it's a game.

It's not worth it. Moderation on these boards is disgustingly inconsistent so I wouldn't give a moderator a reason to ban you.

Same goes for MrWarglaive. It's not worth it.

edit: and yeah you're right about the ESC key. either way you end up gaming the system so why add a 2nd way to do it. makes sense.

Because the 2nd way to game the system would have unintentional consequences.

IE as I mentioned the situational build / gear swapping.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 6/18/2014 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
06/18/2014 02:39 PMPosted by DrothVader
Attack the idea, not the poster.

The idea isnt the problem, that's already been addressed.

The idea isnt regurgitating entitlement over and over without regard to basic intent.

The idea isnt likely to keep putting individual desire over every other avenue of play.

The idea is never really the problem... is it?

He is being pointedly ignorant. If you consider that an "attack" on him, i cant help you.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/18/2014 02:45 PMPosted by DrothVader

It's not worth it. Moderation on these boards is disgustingly inconsistent so I wouldn't give a moderator a reason to ban you.

Same goes for MrWarglaive. It's not worth it.

Because the 2nd way to game the system would have unintentional consequences.

IE as I mentioned the situational build / gear swapping.

yeah i get it about the gear swapping, i was agreeing with you :P

at the end of the day i guess i just don't like the whole concept. i don't think efficiency is the right measure of how good a character is, or even that we should be measuring our characters at all. you say it's adding skill back into the game, but it's also forcing more sameness on everyone. think about all the stuff you had in d2...low level duelers were essentially terrible, they were only good in the context of..low level dueling. or look at smiters made for ubers. they were slow killing everything else compared to hamerdins or even auradins, but they were great at ubers. high level dueling characters were usually the same way; good for dueling but not much else.(again, except the hammerdin).

there still should be usefulness for the character that can stand in 5 elite mobs all day long and never die, even if he doesn't kill as fast as the jade WD does. there should still be use for support classes that just want to focus on buffing other players and healing.

i'm just not sure it's taking things in the right direction, i guess. feels like it's forcing more of that same glass cannon build down our throats, instead of trying to open things up more.

edit: i feel like it'll fail in groups, too. you've already got builds that can easily carry 3 other people on higher torments. so is it fair having lesser characters climbing way up the leaderboards because they were carried by their better geared friends, or by someone in a pub? that right there is going to skew the standings.
Edited by pigeonspank#1488 on 6/18/2014 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:06 PMPosted by pigeonspank
edit: i feel like it'll fail in groups, too. you've already got builds that can easily carry 3 other people on higher torments. so is it fair having lesser characters climbing way up the leaderboards because they were carried by their better geared friends, or by someone in a pub? that right there is going to skew the standings.

If it helps to know this, the ladder is split between (among other dimensions) group and solo runs. So if you are running solo greater rifts you wont be usurped on the leaderboards by people being carried in groups. This is mentioned in the 2.1 preview blog.

Here is a quote from the blog:

Greater Rift Leaderboards:

Greater Rift leaderboards will be split between both Hardcore and Normal gameplay modes as well as Seasonal and Non-Seasonal characters. To help encourage a variety of play styles and allow you to measure yourself against similar competitors, we've also broken up Greater Rift leaderboards into the following categories:

Solo play for each class (e.g. top players for Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Crusader, etc.)
2-Player Groups
3-Player Groups
4-Player Groups
Edited by Asponti#1957 on 6/18/2014 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
06/18/2014 03:19 PMPosted by Asponti

If it helps to know this, the ladder is split between (among other dimensions) group and solo runs. So if you are running solo greater rifts you wont be usurped on the leaderboards by people being carried in groups. This is mentioned in the 2.1 preview blog.

i'm personally not worried about it at all, i don't care about rankings. i'm just trying to head off the complaints that will probably crop up from the people who DO care. and i wasn't getting at the solo/group split, i was getting at the fact that people being carried will climb the group leaderboards on the back of work other people are doing. that combined with the bots means a skewed leaderboard. again, doesn't matter to me personally, but it will to some people.
Edited by pigeonspank#1488 on 6/18/2014 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 10:03 AMPosted by pigeonspank
well that seems slightly better than the rift just closing without spawning the rift guardian like i thought they were implying...but i still don't understand why i have to be punished for wanting to take a dump, or a phone call from work, or just tabbing out to check something on reddit for a few minutes. why should i fail to complete the rift just because i stopped for a bit? especially in a genre of games where you already have problems with people playing crazy amounts of time non-stop and having health issues as a result. seems weird to encourage even MORE of a constant grind.

but hey, at least they made it optional and are keeping the normal rifts round. so i can always just not run them if i dislike it.

because it is a method of gauging players abilities and progress, competition as it were.
Reply Quote
Haha no worries then. To be sure people will get upset that seems to be what people do, such is life.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/18/2014 03:19 PMPosted by Asponti

Here is a quote from the blog:

Greater Rift Leaderboards:

[quote]Greater Rift leaderboards will be split between both Hardcore and Normal gameplay modes as well as Seasonal and Non-Seasonal characters. To help encourage a variety of play styles and allow you to measure yourself against similar competitors, we've also broken up Greater Rift leaderboards into the following categories:

Solo play for each class (e.g. top players for Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Crusader, etc.)
2-Player Groups
3-Player Groups
4-Player Groups

yeah i saw it, but that doesn't mean it's going to track a specific group you're playing with, right? it's just going to gather up all the time/stats when you were in games with other people and base it off that. otherwise you'd be on the leaderboards multiple times for multiple groups, which is silly.
Reply Quote
You have X time to kill X monsters + the guardian. If time runs out, it doesn't sound like you'll be removed from the rift; you simply won't be rewarded another Greater Rift key. That means you need to go gear up and try again.

By trying again I mean completing a normal rift, hoping you get a Greater Rift Key Lv 1 and starting over. You will not be picking up at the Greater Rift Lv that you failed to complete.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 02:08 PMPosted by DrothVader
06/18/2014 01:56 PMPosted by KindoRamns
So if you're going to need to do those things, do them before the run. If they happen in the middle of the run, either try to finish the run quick, or go do what you need to do... You aren't being punished for having to do something. That's just how it was developed.

I concur.

I look at it this way. This is no different than a 15 minute Hearthstone match, a 20 minute Heroes Brawl, 20 minute Alterac Valley, or anything like that.

If something comes up, you wait until you finish then go back to what you're doing. If you're a single player you can hit your ESC key and pause the game. You're not afforded that luxury in an online PVP game like Heroes of the Storm or Hearthstone.

Pigeonspank, the functionality you're asking for already exists. You just have to pause your game via ESC.

BUT what if you poop your pants? I mean, WHO can really sit there playing with that situation going on?!!?! ;-)
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:24 PMPosted by pigeonspank
yeah i saw it, but that doesn't mean it's going to track a specific group you're playing with, right? it's just going to gather up all the time/stats when you were in games with other people and base it off that. otherwise you'd be on the leaderboards multiple times for multiple groups, which is silly.

I am not entirely sure what you mean. It seems that yes I could appear on the solo leaderboard and the two-player one, and so on. Is that what you think is silly? I am not sure why that is can you clarify I am genuinely curious.
Reply Quote
View profile
no i mean...which of these is it going to record it like for groups:

1.) every time i join a greater rift with another person, it's going to gather all that data together into a ranking for 2 player groups

or

2.) everytime i play with drothvader(for example) it's going to record pigeonspank and drothvader on the leaderboards as a 2 player group with our stats?

because if it's number 2, you could be on the leaderboards hundreds or even thousands of times. that seems really silly, especially since one group could be in the top 100 and the other could be in the top 300,000 haha..so then how do you know which group the player ACTUALLY belongs in?

and i'm only wondering this because if it's number 1, then people being carried will end up climbing just as much as the players doing all the work. where if it's number two, you could look and see that three of the four players in the group were fully geared and the 4th was under geared, and then know that the 4th guy was just being carried and that rank shouldn't really matter for him.
Edited by pigeonspank#1488 on 6/18/2014 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
The timer in a Greater Rift is only to determine if you'll progress to a more difficult Greater Rift. Running out of time will prevent you from progressing in difficulty, but it will not remove you from the Rift you're currently in, and you'll be able to continue your progression towards the Rift Guardian like normal.

As usual, the normal caveat applies that this is still in development, and possibly subject to change.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]