Diablo® III

Greater rift, is it season-only?

I searched everywhere for an answer, any blue post confirmed or denied it?
Edited by Erko#1156 on 6/20/2014 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No.
Reply Quote
"New Seasonal Legendaries will roll over to non-Seasonal loot pool after a
Season concludes. In addition, Greater Rift leaderboards will also become
available to non-Seasonal characters, so you can compare the progress of
your friends and clanmates with that of your most veteran heroes! "

so during season this leaderboard is for season characters only?

06/18/2014 12:41 PMPosted by DanishPrince
No.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Greater Rifts will be available to both Season and non-Season characters as well as the Legendary Gem rewards associated with them. This means everyone will be able to start working on these gems regardless if you choose to participate in a Season.

The standard caveat of this all currently being under development and subject to change still applies, though.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:11 PMPosted by Grimiku
Greater Rifts will be available to both Season and non-Season characters as well as the Legendary Gem rewards associated with them. This means everyone will be able to start working on these gems regardless if you choose to participate in a Season.

The standard caveat of this all currently being under development and subject to change still applies, though.

Why not make greater rifts NON-SEASON only to balance out the exclusivity of content?

I mean I'd prefer we just NOT make exclusive content, but if we're going one route, why not go the other route too? Give those of us who don't want to start over something.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:15 PMPosted by Seluhir
Why not make greater rifts NON-SEASON only to balance out the exclusivity of content?

I mean I'd prefer we just NOT make exclusive content, but if we're going one route, why not go the other route too? Give those of us who don't want to start over something.

You are getting something. They are called Greater Rifts.
Reply Quote

LOL. uhm. no.ladder only items has always been a thing for diablo. You should be happy they are making lad only items lootable once the season ends.
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

LOL. uhm. no.ladder only items has always been a thing for diablo. You should be happy they are making lad only items lootable once the season ends.

QFT.

This isn't an option in D2. If you want the items, you play ladder. You don't get them when the ladder is over. Furthermore, you should be thankful that NL is even getting the Greater Rifts, Leaderboards & the Legendary Gems.

This means that anyone choosing to not play ladder, will have their higher level gems faster than those who do since you're already geared and ready to go. Take note that nobody choosing to play Ladder is crying about this.
Edited by DrunkTank#1318 on 6/18/2014 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Kasey

In D2 the option existed because the economy was so broken they needed a way to clear it out and ladder was really the only option they could come up with.

D3 solved this problem already, so ladder specific items are not necessary.
Reply Quote

Well, if this is the case - then if things go through as it is... within a month after seasons is released, there will be NO incentive for anyone to play non season characters, thus, making non season characters largely irrelevant.

I think seasons is a terrible idea and I think you're going to lose a lot of players because of it Blizzard (at least as it's desgined now).
Reply Quote

Wouldn't that go down well for those wanting to play ladder? it's ok for them to get exclusive content but not us.
Reply Quote
The people that want seasons will tell you that there HAS to be an incentive for them to do it... but they seem to fail at logic when it comes to the fact that people go where the items are in a loot driven game - which means that within a month (or two at the lastest) after season 1 is released, NO ONE will be playing the game outside of seasons (or so few that it's virtually pointless).

So as far as I'm concerned, it looks like Blizzrard is herding everyone into seasons as that's where they want the player base to be... so players like me (who don't want to do seasons) probably just need to move onto something else.

EDIT: (spelling)
Edited by LunarSolaris#1177 on 6/18/2014 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't get how people are seeing it as they HAVE to do ladders. As it stands now EVERYTHING that the ladder/season offers is available to non-season characters as well (except the rankings online). Just it's later. Season specific legs join the "common pool" with other legs after season ends. Greater rifts are there for all as are all the "perks" of doing them. Such as leg gems and such. So, to me at least, if you don't want to do seasons, then DON'T. If you want to do them and you enjoy that then go for it. Just a little patience and you can get the stuff anyway. Besides who's to say that season 1 leg will drop for you during the season anyway? Such as if they make a season version of Thunderfury (or whatever similar rare item you want to say)? You really think that your chances of getting that during season are really that high? Sure you get to start working on it sooner, but otherwise you have same chance to get it (as far as we've been told so far) after season as you do during season.
Reply Quote
If I remember anything about the Mrines, it's that they battle lava beasts to join up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDZ2fMHTvwk

Honestly though, there's nothing wrong with that thread, relax.
Reply Quote
Can someone calmly and intelligently tell me why they would stop playing because of seasons?
Edited by OceanChief#1724 on 6/18/2014 3:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:58 PMPosted by OceanChief
Can someone calmly and intelligently tell me why they would stop playing because of seasons?

I posted my take on non-ladder play in another thread so I'll quote it here... this is how non-season play is from my perspective.

Here's the way I look at non-ladder play:
Okay, so there are new items but they can't drop for six months(or however long the seasons are) so I guess I'll just wait until then to play.
<six months pass>
Okay so the items can drop now! Oh, there are new items? But they can't drop for six months... I guess I'll wait until then.
<neverending cycle>

Basically, I'll just keep putting off playing until I can get the shiny new items, and then there are new ones I can't get so I'll put it off some more and never actually get around to playing.

Loot is what drives this game. Why would I reduce my efficiency by farming when there are less than the full pool of items available to me? It's just wasting my luck. So until I have the entire pool of items open to me, I won't play.
Edited by Seluhir#1817 on 6/18/2014 4:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Basically, I'll just keep putting off playing until I can get the shiny new items, and then there are new ones I can't get so I'll put it off some more and never actually get around to playing.

Loot is what drives this game. Why would I reduce my efficiency by farming when there are less than the full pool of items available to me? It's just wasting my luck. So until I have the entire pool of items open to me, I won't play.

Don't you think that's being a little silly though?
The full pool of non-ladder items are available to you. That's just like saying, "I want to play Diablo now, but they might be doing an update next week so I'll just wait until then.", and now next week rolls around, "I want to play Diablo now, but they might be doing an update next week so I'll just wait until then.", eat, sleep, rinse and repeat.
Edited by LastEffort#1938 on 6/18/2014 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 05:52 PMPosted by LastEffort

Don't you think that's being a little silly though?
The full pool of non-ladder items are available to you. That's just like saying, "I want to play Diablo now, but they might be doing an update next week so I'll just wait until then.", and now next week rolls around, "I want to play Diablo now, but they might be doing an update next week so I'll just wait until then.", eat, sleep, rinse and repeat.

See I don't really care about updates when the core game is good. I care about loot. And they're telling me that because I like my character I don't deserve to have the loot? That's such an absurd restriction.

And there is no difference between ladder and non-ladder items, they're all the same. Proof? At the end of the season those items BECOME non-ladder items. The characters BECOME non-ladder characters. If it were like a completely different pool of items and both sides had exclusives you'd have a point. But that's not how it works. They're the same items, just a few won't drop if you don't want to start over.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Kasey

umm no it hasn't.. D2 never had ladder only items that I recall. Maybe ladder only runewords, but those aren't uniques.
Reply Quote

I posted my take on non-ladder play in another thread so I'll quote it here... this is how non-season play is from my perspective.

Okay, so there are new items but they can't drop for six months(or however long the seasons are) so I guess I'll just wait until then to play.
<six months pass>
Okay so the items can drop now! Oh, there are new items? But they can't drop for six months... I guess I'll wait until then.
<neverending cycle>

then **** off.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]