Diablo® III

Why stupify the game more by removing dodge?

06/29/2014 11:20 AMPosted by Throe
Why stupefy the game more by removing dodge?

Lol I think OP you need to stop listening to Kim Cersarion mate. It is not doing wonders to your vocabulary.

Stupefy means dazed, it has nothing to do with stupid
Reply Quote
I get it, ...but Diablo was never meant as a casual game.

ok so you get it. you're just in denial. nothing is going to make this game what we want. ever. give up. I realize that now.
Reply Quote

While I get what you're saying, I'd like to take the time to let you know that stupefy means something else.
Fixed. Auto-corrected. Stupify is not in the dictionary, but we know what it means. Stupefy is in the dictionary, hence the auto-correct, but means something else. Thanks for pointing that out.
Edited by Throe#1878 on 7/6/2014 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hated fighting against a dh/monk. They would dodge/evade 95% of the time, making them too OP. I welcome this change. :)
Reply Quote
The fact that there were a few bosses in WoW where dodge tanking was viable, doesn't really validate dodge as a type of tanking. It was a bone Blizzard threw to classes like the Druid, who were feeling left out in the cold with regards to tanking. So your WoW analogy is pretty flawed. I never saw people come onto the D3 forum and say that they loved dodge and how it worked in the game. People complained incessantly about it, so Blizz removed it. It was a bad mechanic.
Reply Quote
everything simpler, less complex, have less depth

i see this a lot from people who think this game is some sort of test to get into a secret government program as an assassin.

complexity doesn't equate to fun, nor does being simple preclude it from being a worthwhile way to pass time.

The diablo series was never meant to only be for hardcore gamers. It was released to the general public, not as a "by invitation" game. Stop kidding yourself... you aren't special if you can move pixels around a game better than the next person.
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 08:02 AMPosted by briarben
everything simpler, less complex, have less depth

i see this a lot from people who think this game is some sort of test to get into a secret government program as an assassin.

complexity doesn't equate to fun, nor does being simple preclude it from being a worthwhile way to pass time.

The diablo series was never meant to only be for hardcore gamers. It was released to the general public, not as a "by invitation" game. Stop kidding yourself... you aren't special if you can move pixels around a game better than the next person.

You can't really be that naive, can you?

Diablo was a hardcore game that required a lot of time commitment, forethought, and even some math. People like you have demanded the CORE essence of the game change to match their playstyle that DIRECTLY conflicts with the game, and have now ruined it for the real diablo fans. Go away.
Reply Quote
83 Gnome Mage
07/10/2014 10:28 AMPosted by Throe
Diablo was a hardcore game that required a lot of time commitment, forethought, and even some math.
Actually, Diablo has always been a casual game where you blow up monsters for fun. Some people chose to make it hardcore, but it certainly didn't have to be.
Reply Quote
View profile
I quit wow because all the character depth was removed over time, which I proved mathematically

lolwat
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
07/04/2014 11:26 PMPosted by Stinkyfinger

While I get what you're saying, I'd like to take the time to let you know that stupefy means something else.

Lol, I was just going to post the same.
Reply Quote
WD/Wiz > resistance classes....
Barb/Crusader > armor classes....
DH/Monk > evasion classes....

if you were down to be immortal, you could simply play Barb oder Crusader..... if you are down to some excitement (like having near death experiences sometimes) you've choose DH or Monk...... and with 2.1.... Monk and DH are just becoming brain-afk-classes......
Reply Quote
Diablo continues to get dumbed down because lets face it, removing is easier than fixing.

If you told Wow players that dodge was being removed and simply replaced w/ more armor...(Rogues, Druids, Shamans, etc) they wouldn't stand for it, they expect more from devs, but his is Diablo, it took them years to admit is was broke followed by NO EFFORT towards fixing it.
Reply Quote
I will take a 42.5% chance to dodge a Tier 43 jailer's attack and (a chance to) survive multiple times over getting killed in one shot by a jailer at Tier 30 with 20k armor from the extremely lazy design of dex to armor.

Except you'll actually get 1 shot at T30 when your dodge based character fails to dodge because you have less mitigation than int or str characters because you're not getting mitigation from your main stat. When you do get hit, you get hit harder. And long streaks of both successes and failures can happen, it's just not consistent at all. Yeah, it's nice when those white mob hits get dodged 5x in a row. It's horrible when it fails 5x in a row. And most of the effects which hurt most can't be dodged. You have to be pushing for them to change that if you want to keep dodge and have it be remotely on-par.

Even then, I'd really rather have the mitigation. I'd rather have the consistent defenses than welp, failed to dodge, time to eat a one-shot.
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 11:07 AMPosted by Tiakatt
Except you'll actually get 1 shot at T30 when your dodge based character fails to dodge because you have less mitigation than int or str characters because you're not getting mitigation from your main stat.

and that's the reason, why monk and dh haven't been brain-afk classes so far.... if something can oneshot you, evade manually....
Reply Quote
There will come a point where white mobs in Grifts can one-shot you, and while manual evasion is awesome (seriously vault is my favorite thing ever), you can't evade everything, particularly when mobs are fast/teleporters. That point will come sooner for a dodge character because they will have less mitigation. And a dodge failure will eventually happen, we don't have 100% dodge.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 7/10/2014 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Tiakatt
There will come a point where white mobs in Grifts can one-shot you, and while manual evasion is awesome (seriously vault is my favorite thing ever), you can't evade everything, particularly when mobs are fast/teleporters.

you can, simply analyse their movement and attacking pattern.....
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Tiakatt
There will come a point where white mobs in Grifts can one-shot you, and while manual evasion is awesome (seriously vault is my favorite thing ever), you can't evade everything, particularly when mobs are fast/teleporters. That point will come sooner for a dodge character because they will have less mitigation. And a dodge failure will eventually happen, we don't have 100% dodge.

Dodge works fine for Rogues in wow. Yes some is manual, but much isn't, yet it works for druids & rogues alike. It's even workable as part of mitigating damage for tanks.
So why can't they make it work here at Diablo?
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 08:02 AMPosted by briarben

To you it doesn't maybe. There ARE people out there that love complexified (not sure if that's even a word, but I'm using it) games, because they welcome the challenge. Enter Dungeons and Dragons, which is arguably among the most successful RPG's of all time. A LOT of different variables like attack dice, hit dice, enemy's armor class, the materials a weapon or armor is made from (darksteel, adamantine, cold iron, etc), dodge chance, resistances, immunities, etc play into whether you or your enemy make a hit or not, as well as how much damage you or your enemy do. Some materials even offered weapons enhanced damage vs. evil, or enhanced damage vs. demons/undead, etc. That game has created hundreds, if not thousands of spinoffs based on its universe over the years, many of which are still played today. The complexity of the original game (as well as its spinoffs) was what made the game fun. People are STILL finding new and interesting ways of developing their characters. (There, you got the inner nerd in me to come out, hope you're happy, LOL!)

Was Dungeons and Dragons the most complex thing in the world? Of course not. Was it more complex than Diablo? Most definitely, by leaps and bounds. But for you to come out and say complexity doesn't equate to fun is kind of an insult. Sometimes it does. But I take it with a grain of salt, and move on. No harm done. :)

That's just the thing - you were unique in that you could do things other people couldn't. It's nothing like a real life accomplishment like winning a Nobel Prize, but figuring something out ahead of others does offer SOME notoriety in the eyes of people who want to learn how to play said game. You find some new and interesting build, and suddenly everyone wants to copy it. It's in our nature as gamers.
Edited by MimSiEOD#1720 on 7/10/2014 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Even more logical than removing dodge:
Separate Armor and Resistances -- so that Armor doesn't protect against elemental attacks, and that resistances does not protect against physical attacks -- while Dodge dodges both.

Tweak monster damage.

No need to pay me:
JUST FIX THE DAMN GAME.
Reply Quote
07/06/2014 10:44 PMPosted by Throe
Fixed. Auto-corrected. Stupify is not in the dictionary, but we know what it means. Stupefy is in the dictionary, hence the auto-correct, but means something else. Thanks for pointing that out.

stupidify
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]