Diablo® III

D̶P̶S Damage Meter

EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION: & TLDR: DPS meters show cumulative damage done, which takes into account pretty much all aspects of the game. You can't do damage when you are dead.

Quote from a blue on the eu forum:

A build's worth isnt just defined by its DPS potential, but also by its defenses and utilities

Well said! We know that a DPS meter is a fairly frequent request and you can be sure that we’ve talked about it. Ultimately though, we feel that a DPS meter would put too much focus on one single aspect of the game and we currently don't have any plans to implement one.

Let me explain why we feel this way: DPS is certainly important, but Diablo is a combination of activities. Healing and Toughness are are important, too, and your movement and positioning, your ability to aim with certain abilities and using them at the right moment also play an important role in "determining" how "well" you're doing. DPS alone shouldn't be the only number that matters when you play.

Damage done reflects toughness, healing, utility, awareness, reaction time, skills, type of mouse you use, and how much apoptosis the paint chips and glue have caused. Damage done is inherent with any DPS meter. You argue the PS detracts somehow from the benefits of knowing your D.

DPS is not the only number that matters when you play.

D is the only number that matters when I play.

How much you increase other party members D, by buffs or ccs would ideal, but I dont think that level of detail is what most players are petitioning for.

There was a popular program that offered most of the numbers many players have been requesting, but access to them was recently revoked during maintenance. It took actual time and effort to hide these numbers. It is frustrating knowing that time taken hiding things from players is in lieu of positive changes. It has given me some insight into what could cause a delusionary definition of soon™.

Blues, if you want to have an actual dialectic with your playerbase, fox news talking points and excuses might not be the best approach. Decisions could not possibly be made based on the non sequitur reasoning you typically afford the forums. Respect shown to the playerbase is reflected with constructive feedback.
Edited by Dooces#1285 on 7/7/2014 12:17 PM PDT
They already have a DPS meter in the game but it doesn't use numbers .

Grailer has killed <insert elite or RG name here> ( again .. and again .. )

when this keeps appearing in chat while grouping you know you are carrying the entire group . So then you go solo same rift lvl and do it 2x faster than with the group . Yep carried some mofos again .
They already have a DPS meter in the game but it doesn't use numbers .

Grailer has killed <insert elite or RG name here> ( again .. and again .. )

when this keeps appearing in chat while grouping you know you are carrying the entire group . So then you go solo same rift lvl and do it 2x faster than with the group . Yep carried some mofos again .

all that shows is who got the last hit.

I am quite confident blizzard wants to keep these numbers hidden for a reason (other than the bull!@#$ ones they tell us). Imagine how much more constructive these forums would be if they were actually honest with us. I am sure there are individual blues with some morality left, who find their deception hard to swallow at times.

Dick Chaney would make an excellent blue. Actually, no. Dick would be an excellent Blizzard CEO, Colin Powell is more akin to the roll of the blues.

I wonder if Colin actually believed the stories he was in charge of conveying?
The irony, is that while calling blizzard out on using "fox news speak" , you practically channeled their "best" news anchor yourself; I was surprised there wasn't a "Thanks Obama" at the end.

DPS meters have no relevance in this game, because there is no way to quantify a characters "power' with just a dps meter. Its the same flawed philosophy in WoW and other mmos....where people seem to think that dps meters can gauge how good a player you are, or how well a class functions. It's even worse in an arpg, where dps is only a fraction of player imput, or other mobile mmos that simulate similar gameplay.

All a dps meter is going to do is create another "gearscore / dps chart" fervorous threshold in people, full of ignorance like we have had for months now with the character sheet numbers.

The game does take into consideration a ton more than just how much damage you can do; and dps does NOT take into consideration avoiding damage, mitigating damage, buffing, cc, etc. because dps meters are designed for standing in one spot hugging a giant health sponge and riding cooldowns.

Dps meters have never been an ideal or close approximation of ones skill in playing their class properly, let alone in a group scenario. And it has never been a good or fair way of judging how balanced a particular class is compared to another.

Its just an artificial way of people figuring out how they can hold prestige and "bragging rights" over others, with no actual context to show or prove it. Its like trying to say you could be a nascar driver based on how well you put oil in your car.
iirc, 3rd party DPS meters are against the ToS.
Also, Bliz has stated they will not add that kind of a meter.
I don't understand how having more information is a bad thing. Of course it doesn't take into account utility or mitigation. Its a damage meter.

How is knowing what items improve your damage potential a bad thing? There are so many hidden co-efficient and proc numbers in this game.

"It puts too much emphasis on one aspect of combat!!!" What the hell kind of argument is that?
07/07/2014 11:45 AMPosted by JoeShmo
dps does NOT take into consideration avoiding damage, mitigating damage, buffing, cc, etc. because dps meters are designed for standing in one spot hugging a giant health sponge and riding cooldowns.

07/06/2014 06:10 PMPosted by Dooces
Damage done reflects toughness, healing, utility, awareness, reaction time, skills, type of mouse you use, and how much apoptosis the paint chips and glue have caused. Damage done is inherent with any DPS meter. You argue the PS detracts somehow from the benefits of knowing your D.

I'm not sure if you understood my other posts, or perhaps there is much more i need to learn about this game. I was unaware you could deal damage while dead. I was unaware you could still move to the next mob while dead. I was unaware resource management has no effect on damage done. If the aforementioned were all true, your argument would then hold some weight, even then, not much.

I will indulge in your fiction for the sake of argument though. Knowing your damage done on the fly lets you better understand your character, and which skills are more powerful than others. Its not as though we can rely on tooltips, which leave more detail out than in (ICD, proc coeff, etc). A certain spec might give higher DPS, but time spent dead and lack of resources are a major factor over the course of, say, a rift. Knowing your damage done for any given period of time takes everything into account.

Let me clarify, and apologize for my inaccurate forum thread. It should have been titled Damage Done Meter. It should show how strong your arguments against are, when they can be so easily diffused by calling the same thing a different name.
07/07/2014 12:13 PMPosted by Dooces

07/06/2014 06:10 PMPosted by Dooces

Since you seem to believe your statement infallible, how does damage done reflect every other aspect of combat that doesn't pertain to you doing damage? You cannot gauge your damage done correctly (in the sense of how much damage potential you have) nor your dps when you have to dodge attacks. Its simply an oxymoron.

Damage potential certainly cannot take into consideration infinite variables in combat, like poison enchanted, arcane beams, knockback, vortex, jailer, illusionist, etc. , unless you purposefully stand in damage zones and ignore distance/time to recover from cc. What happens when you get to low health? Does the damage meter calculate you running around looking for orbs or a nearby team member for an aoe heal? These are not quantifiable variables associated with damage done, unless you are looking at overall data of total damage done in an encounter or session, rather than your potential to do maximum damage to a target.

These are calculable statistics, but nothing in relation to cultural damage meters that players are accustomed to in games, which is what you are asking for and/or what many other players feel they need to have.

I'm not sure if you understood my other posts, or perhaps there is much more i need to learn about this game. I was unaware you could deal damage while dead. I was unaware you could still move to the next mob while dead. I was unaware resource management has no effect on damage done. If the aforementioned were all true, your argument would then hold some weight, even then, not much.

What is the actual argument here? Being dead is but 1 variable to doing damage, and playing the game in general. It is hardly something that can be used as an argument retort to invalidate anything I said, its simply stating the obvious. The added part about resource management, again, its 1 part of the system, and yet you single it out as if I didn't mention it in secrecy or that by naming it somehow grants you some sort of leverage over the discussion. Again, you are just stating the obvious without making an actual argument.

An argument, in my favor for example, would emphasize that you cannot do damage while you are dead, thus there is more to acquiring character power other than doing damage. One has to survive said encounters, which creates numerous variables to take into consideration. These things are not gauged in a damage chart, nor "dps meters" which people have become accustomed to even if some of them do provide such information. People falsely gauge power and standing based on doing damage, rather than factoring in all the other inputs that go into the game; dieing being one of the biggest ones.

Damage charts dont take into consideration how much health you have to determine optimum dps output, or how much you can dodge an attack you didnt happen to move away from, or how fast you can run to avoid attacks or reach moving targets.

A dead person doesnt do damage in a given time of collecting damage information, in the same span that running away from a meteor circle on the ground isn't taken into consideration when doing damage. Its not as simple as being dead or alive, its about efficiency, which is beyond the scope of a damage collecting system.

I will indulge in your fiction for the sake of argument though. Knowing your damage done on the fly lets you better understand your character, and which skills are more powerful than others.

First, you cannot know its fiction until it has been previously proven otherwise. Just stating something in a semi-demeaning manner goes to show how strong of character you are and how solid your arguments are. Weak people need to put down others in an argument.

Knowing your damage "on the fly" does not tell you anything important other than how much damage you are doing in that time span. It cannot tell you how powerful you are, or how to better understand your character, because it does not recognize the difference between you just stopping your damage rotation, or running away from the target. These are redundant parts of the damage record, and have no influence on anything other than damage over time. If this was a scripted event that always played out the same, it would prove more merit since these variables of no damage could adequately be taken into consideration of the encounter. Random events do not work in this manner, such is the way of arpgs.

Its not as though we can rely on tooltips, which leave more detail out than in (ICD, proc coeff, etc). A certain spec might give higher DPS, but time spent dead and lack of resources are a major factor over the course of, say, a rift.

Tooltips can be made better, your statement is like saying nobody can create a better lightbulb.

Again with the resource management and death? Yes, they are major factors in completing a rift, being efficient, or the ability to do the Guinness World Record of fireballs in a 24 hour period. Neither of which represent what you have stated prior or specifically target damage done in a combat situation, unless you are working in a vacuum.

Knowing your damage done for any given period of time takes everything into account.

Again, it does not. This is not a hard concept, but is easily obfuscated or treated under ignorance. Knowing your damage only takes into consideration your damage done, it does not account for any other variable. In a vacuum, hitting a target dummy that does not fight back or move around, you can get a bias statistic of your damage output like always. In combat these numbers go out the door, unless you are the type who never gets cc'd or dies, which is only possible if you have the gear for it...a factor your damage charts do not take into consideration.

These are not concepts you can just ignore or brush off as "it just goes with damage". That's like telling your trigonometry teacher that " it just solves itself for 'Z' ".

Let me clarify, and apologize for my inaccurate forum thread. It should have been titled Damage Done Meter. It should show how strong your arguments against are, when they can be so easily diffused by calling the same thing a different name.

Being specific certainly goes a long way to proving your point, and to explaining things clearly. I don't see how changing its name makes your argument any more solid, all it does is show how unprepared you were and how little you knew of the subject matter.

It shows how strong your argument was when you had to change its wording and meaning, it did nothing to diffuse anything on my end.

That's like a child changing the rules mid game to fit themselves, and then sneering "see...you didn't know how to play."
Geez, what a wrecking. ^
Almost painful that one.
Edited by Bombus#2506 on 7/7/2014 1:18 PM PDT
07/07/2014 01:01 PMPosted by JoeShmo

YOU CANNOT DO DAMAGE WHEN YOU ARE DEAD.
07/07/2014 01:39 PMPosted by Dooces
YOU CANNOT DO DAMAGE WHEN YOU ARE DEAD.

That was mentioned, yes.
07/07/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Bombus
That was mentioned, yes.

what dont you understand then? if you are dead, you do no damage. how much you die depends on your survivability. there is a link to be made here. really think about it and you might figure it out.
07/07/2014 01:01 PMPosted by JoeShmo

Since you seem to believe your statement infallible, how does damage done reflect every other aspect of combat that doesn't pertain to you doing damage? You cannot gauge your damage done correctly (in the sense of how much damage potential you have) nor your dps when you have to dodge attacks. Its simply an oxymoron.

Damage potential certainly cannot take into consideration infinite variables in combat, like poison enchanted, arcane beams, knockback, vortex, jailer, illusionist, etc. , unless you purposefully stand in damage zones and ignore distance/time to recover from cc. What happens when you get to low health? Does the damage meter calculate you running around looking for orbs or a nearby team member for an aoe heal? These are not quantifiable variables associated with damage done, unless you are looking at overall data of total damage done in an encounter or session, rather than your potential to do maximum damage to a target.

These are calculable statistics, but nothing in relation to cultural damage meters that players are accustomed to in games, which is what you are asking for and/or what many other players feel they need to have.

What is the actual argument here? Being dead is but 1 variable to doing damage, and playing the game in general. It is hardly something that can be used as an argument retort to invalidate anything I said, its simply stating the obvious. The added part about resource management, again, its 1 part of the system, and yet you single it out as if I didn't mention it in secrecy or that by naming it somehow grants you some sort of leverage over the discussion. Again, you are just stating the obvious without making an actual argument.

An argument, in my favor for example, would emphasize that you cannot do damage while you are dead, thus there is more to acquiring character power other than doing damage. One has to survive said encounters, which creates numerous variables to take into consideration. These things are not gauged in a damage chart, nor "dps meters" which people have become accustomed to even if some of them do provide such information. People falsely gauge power and standing based on doing damage, rather than factoring in all the other inputs that go into the game; dieing being one of the biggest ones.

Damage charts dont take into consideration how much health you have to determine optimum dps output, or how much you can dodge an attack you didnt happen to move away from, or how fast you can run to avoid attacks or reach moving targets.

A dead person doesnt do damage in a given time of collecting damage information, in the same span that running away from a meteor circle on the ground isn't taken into consideration when doing damage. Its not as simple as being dead or alive, its about efficiency, which is beyond the scope of a damage collecting system.

I will indulge in your fiction for the sake of argument though. Knowing your damage done on the fly lets you better understand your character, and which skills are more powerful than others.

First, you cannot know its fiction until it has been previously proven otherwise. Just stating something in a semi-demeaning manner goes to show how strong of character you are and how solid your arguments are. Weak people need to put down others in an argument.

Knowing your damage "on the fly" does not tell you anything important other than how much damage you are doing in that time span. It cannot tell you how powerful you are, or how to better understand your character, because it does not recognize the difference between you just stopping your damage rotation, or running away from the target. These are redundant parts of the damage record, and have no influence on anything other than damage over time. If this was a scripted event that always played out the same, it would prove more merit since these variables of no damage could adequately be taken into consideration of the encounter. Random events do not work in this manner, such is the way of arpgs.

Its not as though we can rely on tooltips, which leave more detail out than in (ICD, proc coeff, etc). A certain spec might give higher DPS, but time spent dead and lack of resources are a major factor over the course of, say, a rift.

Tooltips can be made better, your statement is like saying nobody can create a better lightbulb.

Again with the resource management and death? Yes, they are major factors in completing a rift, being efficient, or the ability to do the Guinness World Record of fireballs in a 24 hour period. Neither of which represent what you have stated prior or specifically target damage done in a combat situation, unless you are working in a vacuum.

Knowing your damage done for any given period of time takes everything into account.

Again, it does not. This is not a hard concept, but is easily obfuscated or treated under ignorance. Knowing your damage only takes into consideration your damage done, it does not account for any other variable. In a vacuum, hitting a target dummy that does not fight back or move around, you can get a bias statistic of your damage output like always. In combat these numbers go out the door, unless you are the type who never gets cc'd or dies, which is only possible if you have the gear for it...a factor your damage charts do not take into consideration.

These are not concepts you can just ignore or brush off as "it just goes with damage". That's like telling your trigonometry teacher that " it just solves itself for 'Z' ".

Being specific certainly goes a long way to proving your point, and to explaining things clearly. I don't see how changing its name makes your argument any more solid, all it does is show how unprepared you were and how little you knew of the subject matter.

It shows how strong your argument was when you had to change its wording and meaning, it did nothing to diffuse anything on my end.

That's like a child changing the rules mid game to fit themselves, and then sneering "see...you didn't know how to play."

So if I could TLDR this for you:
"DPS doesn't take everything into account and therefore has no value at all."

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Just for clarification purposes:

"DPS meters" that doocess is referring to give this type of information:
1) Average damage over time
2) Highest burst damage over 1 second
3) Total Damage done.
4) Realtime damage feedback.

I agree that there are a lot of variables involved in DPS output, but it's still very nice to use and very good tool. There are accepted average damage values for classes before turbohud and recount were patched out about 2 weeks ago. Among the end game community - these were common knowledge - and consistent.

DPS meters help ferret out a lot of issues including team dynamic, class/build, skill with build, map type, density, mob types etc...it's very very useful.

Very simply, dps information is one whole aspect of this game that is hidden to the player which is intrinsically part of the core dynamic. Holding this information back doesn't really make sense at all.
Edited by Phatty#1821 on 7/7/2014 1:56 PM PDT
07/07/2014 01:46 PMPosted by Dooces
07/07/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Bombus
That was mentioned, yes.

what dont you understand then? if you are dead, you do no damage. how much you die depends on your survivability. there is a link to be made here. really think about it and you might figure it out.

If you are dodging you do no damage either.
Or when you are moving.

I think it's way better to feel this out, what works and what is better than what.
I'm sure you have a keen sense for that.

I understand you want concrete math, but thing is, that may be very misleading on what is actually best. That kind of misdirection can have large consequences on how the game is played throughout a community and without a proper cause. It can very well have people do very inefficent things, because they get a very wrong idea from a math that show skewed results.
And I do understand that to your understanding bigger number > smaller number and will show you the true path. But it's simply untrue, for many different reasons.
Better just game on and let this one be, that's what I think.
07/07/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Bombus
07/07/2014 01:46 PMPosted by Dooces

If you are dodging you do no damage either.
Or when you are moving.

I think it's way better to feel this out, what works and what is better than what.
I'm sure you have a keen sense for that.

I understand you want concrete math, but thing is, that may be very misleading on what is actually best. That kind of misdirection can have large consequences on how the game is played throughout a community and without a proper cause. It can very well have people do very inefficent things, because they get a very wrong idea from a math that show skewed results.
And I do understand that to your understanding bigger number > smaller number and will show you the true path. But it's simply untrue, for many different reasons.
Better just game on and let this one be, that's what I think.

Most people who use dps meters to test builds use them in a lot of different circumstances and take that information with them when applying a decision whether or not a build is"better" or "worse". The dps meter is an additional tool to help you. Most people would not go about using 1 sample size with a dps meter for any solid determinations.
07/07/2014 01:50 PMPosted by Goodbrew

So if I could TLDR this for you:
"DPS doesn't take everything into account and therefore has no value at all."

Damage done does. Arguably so does DPS. How does it not take dodging attacks into account? Your dps changes if you are dead, if you are dodging attacks, if you are resource starved, if you are buffed by another party member. How is that not clear, and obvious? Damage done over a period gives you a sum of all snapshot DPS. If there are more snapshots with you dead, Damage done is lower.

Scenerio a) 250 mil peak dps, died 3 times, total damage done in rift: 20bn
Scenerio b) 400 mil peak dps, died 10 times, resource starved throughout, total damage done in rift: 10bn.

Lets just say those numbers are averages, over 1000 runs. I hate to have to put this disclaimer in, but I can anticipate the argument from those munching on their wall coverings while reading this had I not put this bit in.

Granted, 2 completely fictitious scenarios. But stick with me here. Look real close at the difference in damage done between the two scenarios:

A was 20bn,
B was 10bn.

Notice how they are different?

Even though 250 mil dps is LESS than 400 mil dps, it would seem that total damage done reflects more damage output in scenario A.

Strange.

You could almost deduce that total damage done is taking more than just DPS into account...

I really don't know how to make this any more clear.
Edited by Dooces#1285 on 7/7/2014 2:10 PM PDT
07/07/2014 12:13 PMPosted by Goodbrew
I don't understand how having more information is a bad thing. Of course it doesn't take into account utility or mitigation. Its a damage meter.

How is knowing what items improve your damage potential a bad thing? There are so many hidden co-efficient and proc numbers in this game.

"It puts too much emphasis on one aspect of combat!!!" What the hell kind of argument is that?

Every game that has dps meters has seem them abused. They invariably end up being used to judge others. In some instances they alter game play. In WoW if you are in a Battle ground I have sen players abandon defending a flag to fight in the center simply to build up their dps on the meters, then we lose that bg. If you call them on it it is always I was top dps. Sure but no flags defended, none attacked Now if the other side is ahead and you are fighting them on the road you are playing their game.
07/07/2014 02:12 PMPosted by DeadRu
Every game that has dps meters has seem them abused. They invariably end up being used to judge others. In some instances they alter game play. In WoW if you are in a Battle ground I have sen players abandon defending a flag to fight in the center simply to build up their dps on the meters, then we lose that bg. If you call them on it it is always I was top dps. Sure but no flags defended, none attacked Now if the other side is ahead and you are fighting them on the road you are playing their game.

Used to judge others?

Almost like an unofficial leaderboard of top players. Are you saying Diablo 3 is no place for that?

Are you saying Diablo was never meant to be a competitive game? Perhaps you are right, and thats why we still don't have (really) PVP. Perhaps the devs are all about sunshine and rainbows, they want everyone to hold hands, as to not turn any business away. Maybe instead of trying to make a specific fan base happy, they're trying to make everyone happy. Great business strategy, anyway.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]