Diablo® III

Who will survive?

I wasn't sure which class would be the most fun for my HC exploration, so I made it into a game...the survivalist game. I made one of each class. I'll rotate through each class every 10 levels or so. When one of them dies, that class will not be replaced until one of the other contestants reaches 70 first. I figure it will give me a chance to get a feel for how each class plays in HC.

One observation noted with my first HC attempt (may he rest in peace), is that the playstyle in HC seems much different. Running away to live and fight another day is o.k. In SC I can go toe-to-toe and use brute force. If I die, I just come back and do it again. I also need to be more aware of survivability when selecting gear and abilities. Focusing on raw damage can leave you vulnerable.

Anyway, I think this will be a fun learning experience. Thanks to you regulars for putting out a lot of good advice in your posts. Us newbies appreciate it.
Reply Quote
Have fun =)

My guess would be...

Crusader>WD>Wizard>Monk>Barb>DH for survival mode while leveling =)
Reply Quote
You shouldn't have trouble on WD or Crusader. You can get into some positioning problems with the others tho. Don't rush in blind to elites without noticing their affixes. You don't want to find out too late, it was waller, frozen, arcane.
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 11:00 AMPosted by Pereg
You shouldn't have trouble on WD or Crusader. You can get into some positioning problems with the others tho. Don't rush in blind to elites without noticing their affixes. You don't want to find out too late, it was waller, frozen, arcane.

Arcane isn't so bad if you happen to find Countess Julia's Cameo. ;)
Reply Quote
I think, it depends on what Class you are good at. I suggest you play with your favorite class.
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 05:01 PMPosted by Zymeth
I think, it depends on what Class you are good at. I suggest you play with your favorite class.

That's my philosophy too. Play what's fun for you. Since I'm a newb at HC, I drummed up this exercise to try and answer that question. I deleted all of my SC toons that were below 70, and I'll just focus on leveling via HC. HC really gets my heart pumping knowing that a sudden lapse of mindfulness and *POOF*...game over.
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 05:01 PMPosted by Zymeth

Exactly. If you're new to HC playing a class you're already comfortable with is a big advantage.
Reply Quote
Nice, I've been doing the same thing, but kind of by accident. I ended up with 2 of every toon (male and female) and then decided to play them on equal amounts of time until one is left standing.

Male Crusader died first. I forget how, it wasn't spectacular.
Then my female wizard died on T5 RG. That was kind of spectacular.
After that my Female Barb died DURING IGNORE PAIN on T2. That sucked.
Most recently my M6 male DH died on T4.

I got 8 left, including SMK WD, Thunderfury WD, Shield monk, dual wield monk, fist of heavens crusader, Nats+Calamity DH, Throw barb, and hot mess of a terrible wizard.

I think my crusader will last the longest. The SMK WD will die from pushing him too hard into T5 or 6.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/09/2014 09:42 AMPosted by Stillday
I wasn't sure which class would be the most fun for my HC exploration, so I made it into a game...the survivalist game. I made one of each class. I'll rotate through each class every 10 levels or so. When one of them dies, that class will not be replaced until one of the other contestants reaches 70 first.

I like this idea quite a bit. I think you should update your thread with the results as this rolls on, if you can. It sounds interesting, and seems like fun discussion. In the meantime welcome to Hardcore, and be sure to have fun exploring Sanctuary!
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Grimiku
I wasn't sure which class would be the most fun for my HC exploration, so I made it into a game...the survivalist game. I made one of each class. I'll rotate through each class every 10 levels or so. When one of them dies, that class will not be replaced until one of the other contestants reaches 70 first.

I like this idea quite a bit. I think you should update your thread with the results as this rolls on, if you can. It sounds interesting, and seems like fun discussion. In the meantime welcome to Hardcore, and be sure to have fun exploring Sanctuary!

I know that this is VERY SLIGHTLY off topic, but thanks for getting us Earthen Might back, and FC looks a LOT better. Ofc, all my gear is set up to run without EM now so I'm not even using it, but still... :)
Edited by Bryanw1995#1913 on 7/10/2014 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
good luck with your journey, i've done something similar back ion vanilla. All of the toons from vanilla died, but i cameback stronger everytime. i still die from time to time, specially when i get too comfortable and get reckless.

just accept the fact that sooner or later you will die, then it will be fine.

i started with a wyz and barb. the hardest part was lvling from 65-70, this takes FOREVER.

after that, it's history
Reply Quote

07/10/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Bryanw1995

I know that this is VERY SLIGHTLY off topic, but thanks for getting us Earthen Might back, and FC looks a LOT better. Ofc, all my gear is set up to run without EM now so I'm not even using it, but still... :)

FC has always been one of my favorite abilities and the recent changes have improved it drastically although one thing still remains to be fixed. The Pull enemies to your location rune seems to be very fickle. It decides to leave minions behind randomly it seems. I can not figure what causes an enemy to not be pulled at your location. It is always different every charge.
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 04:33 PMPosted by Javelin
Arcane isn't so bad if you happen to find Countess Julia's Cameo. ;)

Don't feel too safe:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?q=cameo&f=post&forum=5386229
:)
Edited by McLight#2481 on 7/11/2014 1:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
still day beneathe the sun?
Reply Quote
Roll a Chuck Norris
Reply Quote
I feel with the new legendaries its very easy to over gear content until you reach torment 1 and makes the 1-max a lot less risky. just my experience anyways. There are times where a single weapon will give me a 75% damage increase.
Edited by subtle#1319 on 7/11/2014 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/11/2014 06:53 AMPosted by Isolation
still day beneathe the sun?

It's one translation of my Native American name (Bizahnigeezhig). Some translate it as "quiet sky."
Reply Quote
ah, neat :)
Reply Quote
Hi,

So I did this just before the RoS, I wanted all in lvl 60 ready for the expansion. And then leveling up a Cr. afterwards. Doing this was great fun and I got to learn all the classes.

So I would complete one Act, then play the next hero, until all passed that Act. (for RoS, i would do maybe 10 levels and switch I think). If one hero died I would just start a new and level him up to the rest.

These are my fallen brothers and sisters:
Wurrzag (38) WD
Ari (37) Monk
Garoth (44) DH
Mark (38) DH
Celestine (20) C
StCelestine (68) C
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 03:48 AMPosted by FlatErik
Doing this was great fun and I got to learn all the classes.

As I'm closing in on getting all my HC toons to level 10, I'm seeing what you mean. Doing this is helping me to learn how to play all the classes and I find myself keeping an eye on the health globe a bit more than I did in SC. Rotating through the toons helps change things up as I progress as well.

The only negative is having to play through the same section of the campaign 6 times in a row. Other than that the march to level 10 has been o.k. I learned to pay better attention to the Monk's health early on, though. He's good at smashing faces, but just a tad squishy until he starts getting some of his defensive abilities. I charged right into an elite pack and almost lost the young lad.

As for the Wizard, I find myself appreciating and using crowd control much more in HC than I did in SC. Frost Nova is a nice skill for the budding HC Wizard.
Edited by Stillday#1583 on 7/15/2014 5:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]