Diablo® III

Horadric Cache Question

Hey Folks,

Dont know if theres another post with this question, im pretty sure it is. but here it comes anyway...

I've been farming RoRG for my WD wich has been painful but i dont want to do it with WD since it is very slow instead im using my sader, does anyone knows if i keep all the caches then open them with my WD if the RoRG comes out will it have STR or INT?

Thanks
Reply Quote
The LEVEL of the items will stay the same no matter who you open it with.

However, the answer to your question is, it will change the smart loot to whoever actually OPENS it, not who got it. So you can farm with hero x and open with hero y and the smart loot will be based on hero y.

Source: I do it all the time.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Posts: 2,279
07/03/2014 11:42 AMPosted by Zodd
I've been farming RoRG for my WD wich has been painful but i dont want to do it with WD since it is very slow instead im using my sader, does anyone knows if i keep all the caches then open them with my WD if the RoRG comes out will it have STR or INT?


I tend to farm all of my Horadric Cache's with one class, but I open them up with the other characters who still need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Legendary items found in a Horadric Cache will be smart loot, and will roll based on the character opening them.

So, yes you can farm Bounties with a Crusader (for example), and open them up with a Witch Doctor to have any Legendary items found focus on Witch Doctor stats.
Reply Quote
Posts: 9,670
View profile
07/03/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I tend to farm all of my Horadric Cache's with one class, but I open them up with the other characters who still need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Legendary items found in a Horadric Cache will be smart loot, and will roll based on the character opening them.


What?

I was switching character in my party just to take the box from tyreal at the end. You mean I don't even need to do that?
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 7/3/2014 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:09 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
07/03/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I tend to farm all of my Horadric Cache's with one class, but I open them up with the other characters who still need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Legendary items found in a Horadric Cache will be smart loot, and will roll based on the character opening them.


What?

I was switching character in my party just to take the box from tyreal at the end. You mean I don't even need to do that?


thats what it means....thought this was common knowledge.
Reply Quote
So items are determined when you accept the cache but the attribute rolls are not?? Da hell.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Posts: 2,279
07/03/2014 02:09 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
What?

I was switching character in my party just to take the box from tyreal at the end. You mean I don't even need to do that?


No need to swap characters before turn in. Just collect the Horadric Cache, and store it away. I usually wait till I have a few saved up, and then swap characters to open them. I hope this info helps, and good luck with your Bounties!
Reply Quote
continuing this example, could a witch doctor open a cache and get a crusader only weapon like a flail of the Salvation crusader shield? if yes would it roll intelligence? or because it's smart loot will a witch doctor not get crusader items?

edit: who am i kidding legendaries don't drop out of caches silly me
Edited by Timo#1407 on 7/3/2014 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posts: 2,295
View profile
07/03/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I tend to farm all of my Horadric Cache's with one class, but I open them up with the other characters who still need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Legendary items found in a Horadric Cache will be smart loot, and will roll based on the character opening them.


So wait, are you saying previous blue statements were incorrect?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504581301#4

04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis
04/16/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Lucx
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened.


This should be the case. However, bear in mind that smart loot drops are not always guaranteed, even from Horadric Caches - there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.
Edited by Psychologic#1766 on 7/3/2014 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posts: 17,341
07/03/2014 02:16 PMPosted by Timo
continuing this example, could a witch doctor open a cache and get a crusader only weapon like a flail of the Salvation crusader shield? if yes would it roll intelligence? or because it's smart loot will a witch doctor not get crusader items?


1) Yes, you can get other classes' items.

2) No, it would not roll Int. If it does, it is bugged.

3) There's 85% chance that it is smart loot, 15% that it is not.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:19 PMPosted by DoomBringer
07/03/2014 02:16 PMPosted by Timo
continuing this example, could a witch doctor open a cache and get a crusader only weapon like a flail of the Salvation crusader shield? if yes would it roll intelligence? or because it's smart loot will a witch doctor not get crusader items?


1) Yes, you can get other classes' items.

2) No, it would not roll Int. If it does, it is bugged.

3) There's 85% chance that it is smart loot, 15% that it is not.


which way does the 85% and 15% go though? 85% towards the class that farmed it or the class that opened it?
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Zanris
07/03/2014 02:09 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
...

What?

I was switching character in my party just to take the box from tyreal at the end. You mean I don't even need to do that?


thats what it means....thought this was common knowledge.
I could swear Ive seen multiple blue posts saying that the loot inside of caches is determined at the moment its existence begins and not when it's opened. If this is true that its actually determined upon opening the cache, then I'm about to start doing the same thing.
Reply Quote
Receiving Cache: Item level. Level the character was at when receiving the cache.

Opening Cache: Item stats and smart loot. Character that opens the cache.
Reply Quote
iirc Smart loot works for who found it. i have tried a number of times to get an item that dropped on my monk (2h swords tend to come to mind) and have them identified on my Barb or Crus and still always end up with Dex instead of STR...
Reply Quote
Posts: 2,295
View profile
07/03/2014 02:28 PMPosted by ten
Receiving Cache: Item level. Level the character was at when receiving the cache.

Opening Cache: Item stats and smart loot. Character that opens the cache.


Can you link your source, because I've definitely seen blue posts claiming otherwise.
Reply Quote
Statements by both blues are correct.

E

07/03/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Psychologic
07/03/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I tend to farm all of my Horadric Cache's with one class, but I open them up with the other characters who still need a Ring of Royal Grandeur. Legendary items found in a Horadric Cache will be smart loot, and will roll based on the character opening them.


So wait, are you saying previous blue statements were incorrect?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12504581301#4

04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis
...

This should be the case. However, bear in mind that smart loot drops are not always guaranteed, even from Horadric Caches - there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.


Statements by both blues are correct. You have to remember this ONE thing about cache items. Upon the creation of a cache, the item "TYPES" have been created. They are blank item types with no properties (also known as attributes/affixes). The cache may have a legendary ring of RoRG type, but its stats have not been determined UNTIL YOU OPEN the cache.

This allows you to farm caches with your most efficient character and open them with the character that needs the items the most.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 02:30 PMPosted by Raistrev
iirc Smart loot works for who found it. i have tried a number of times to get an item that dropped on my monk (2h swords tend to come to mind) and have them identified on my Barb or Crus and still always end up with Dex instead of STR...


Opening a cache and ID'ing a legendary item you found are two different scenarios.

Finding legendary (killing monsters, opening chests, etc): smart loot is applied to the character that *found* the item.

Bounty cache: smart loot is applied to the character that *opened* the cache.
Edited by ten#1209 on 7/3/2014 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posts: 11,979
View profile
07/03/2014 02:30 PMPosted by Raistrev
iirc Smart loot works for who found it. i have tried a number of times to get an item that dropped on my monk (2h swords tend to come to mind) and have them identified on my Barb or Crus and still always end up with Dex instead of STR...


Smart loot is activated when the item drops. Normal drops are smart loot attuned to the person doing the farming. The items coming out of the cache dont actually drop until it is opened. Thus the smart loot is attuned to the person opening the cache. Trust me. I only do bounties on my DH but I open them with my alts until they get a ring. I have a ring for each of my alts except my barb and they all rolled smart loot for the alt opening the cache.
Reply Quote
Posts: 11,979
View profile
07/03/2014 02:32 PMPosted by Relvinian
Statements by both blues are correct. You have to remember this ONE thing about cache items. Upon the creation of a cache, the item "TYPES" have been created. They are blank item types with no properties (also known as attributes/affixes). The cache may have a legendary ring of RoRG type, but its stats have not been determined UNTIL YOU OPEN the cache.

This allows you to farm caches with your most efficient character and open them with the character that needs the items the most.


Actually not true. As stated before I only do bounties on my DH. When I open them on my DH I get lots of ranged weapons, quivers, etc. When I open them on my wizard I was getting alot more wands, when on my WD alot more mojos, when on my crusader alot more shields and hardly any DH gear. The change in what came out of the cache is much more than can be attributable to the 15% of it not being smart loot.
Reply Quote
Posts: 17,341
07/03/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Timo
07/03/2014 02:19 PMPosted by DoomBringer
...

1) Yes, you can get other classes' items.

2) No, it would not roll Int. If it does, it is bugged.

3) There's 85% chance that it is smart loot, 15% that it is not.


which way does the 85% and 15% go though? 85% towards the class that farmed it or the class that opened it?


85% of loots are smart loots. 15% are "real random loots".

When you obtain a RoRG with your Barb, it will "85%" of the time be Strength. However, "15%" of the time it might be Dex or Int.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]