Diablo® III

Message from Rob Pardo

Chief Creative Officer
Every ending is a beginning and today marks a new beginning for me.

After 17 years at Blizzard, with long and careful contemplation, I have made a difficult and bittersweet but ultimately exciting decision to pursue the next chapter in my life and career.

Before I even joined Blizzard, I was already a huge fan of the company and its games. In particular, I was extremely passionate about the emerging genre of real-time strategy games. It was a dream come true when I was given the opportunity to work on StarCraft, which at the time was being created by a very small team by today’s standards. It was tremendously fulfilling to get to know everyone on the team personally and to contribute our energies toward a shared goal in such a creative and engaging environment.

Blizzard Entertainment has been simply the best place in the world to be a game designer. The best aspect of designing games at Blizzard is that the entire company is passionate about the gameplay within each and every product. From the executive team to customer service to our global offices, every single person is a player and contributes to making the best possible games. It's for very good reason that the first credit on every Blizzard game is "Game Design by Blizzard Entertainment."

I’m really proud of the contributions I was able to make to Blizzard’s accomplishments. From building lasting games, to supporting the growth of eSports, to extending the Warcraft world into a feature film, and of course to being able to celebrate our shared passions with the Blizzard community online and at BlizzCon.

The Blizzard community is ultimately the reason why we come to work every day and pour our souls into every world and experience we create. Blizzard’s players are the most passionate in the world and your commitment and dedication are truly awesome to behold. Creating entertainment for you has been an incredible opportunity, and I know that you will continue to grow and become even stronger as a community over the years to come. It has been so meaningful on a personal level to help create joy for all of you.

I'm looking forward to new challenges in my career, but I will always cherish the time I spent with you all and the amazing and collaborative teams at Blizzard. It was both satisfying and humbling, and it made me a better developer and a better person. I look forward to playing Blizzard games as a player for many years to come. Most important, now I have plenty of time to learn how to build a competitive Hearthstone deck.

As to what I will be doing next, I don’t have an answer for you yet . . . but I will "when it's ready." My priorities are to enjoy the summer with my family, play plenty of games, and think about what’s next. The game industry is such an exciting place right now with PC gaming thriving, the new consoles, mobile games, and virtual reality becoming an actual reality. It’s like having an empty quest log and going into a new zone for the first time.

In the past, I haven't been the most avid Twitter user, but I'll strive to do better and keep you updated there—@Rob_Pardo. Please stay in touch!

Rob
Reply Quote
thanks for the good games, 8 years of warcraft 3 well spent
Reply Quote
Good luck in all your future endeavors! Was great having you along for the ride!
Reply Quote
well that's not a good sign
Reply Quote
Thanks for making the best Games ive ever played! WC3 D2 WoW SC SC2 just to name the AMAZING work you guys have done. It makes me sad to see you leave... its a big loss for Blizzard and our Community to see you go :(
Reply Quote
Best of luck! Thanks for some awesome games (:
Reply Quote
No One Can Stop Death
Reply Quote
Is it too early to tell Bobby Kotick and Michael Morhaime to hire back the POE devs and set them loose on d3 expansions/d4?
Edited by Bryanw1995#1913 on 7/3/2014 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
We appreciate you rob. Love Warcraft 3 until now. I replay the campaigns of RoC till today sometimes.

Wish you all the best. Enjoy life!!.
Reply Quote
We gotta do what we gotta do.

Cheers :)
Reply Quote
Hope someone picks up the slack. Best of luck, Mr. Pardo.
Reply Quote
he did a Hearthstone plug since that is where they can still make money.. all money made in D3 is done.

shame to be cynical but why plug that game and not say anything about playing at a higher level in D3? Ladders? etc?

he never really liked Diablo
Reply Quote
The man claiming responsibility for the decisions that turned D3 from an awesome-looking PC-centric ARPG, into effectively the PC port of a console title, leaving? A lot depends on who replaces him, but it might be good news for this game, if whoever takes over Diablo's creative director file gives the development team the freedom they need to make this into the game it always should have been. I wonder if they'll maybe re-think the DRM decision now?
Reply Quote
And best of luck to whoever fills your position.
Edited by nvvr#1663 on 7/6/2014 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Rob. Take your creativity and passion to your next game/project and it will be a success. First enjoy your summer with your family since they are infinitely more important than any project.
Reply Quote
all the best, jumping off a sinking ship is a hard thing to do

hope the water is warm!
Reply Quote
I like how the last thread was deleted, didn't like comments i take it...

Rob,

Good move buddy, you gotta know when to get out.
Hopefully D3 won't over shadow the game you did great work on...

Just put that portion of your resume in really small letters.
Reply Quote
You did a great job rob. I still love Warcraft 3 until now, and still replay the campaigns of RoC sometimes.

Good luck to you. Enjoy life !!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]