Diablo® III

Message from Rob Pardo

07/09/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Rizzo
The fact that he's leaving without knowing what he's doing next, says one thing... The current state of Blizzard as a company is not looking well.

When your 17 year long chief creative officer leaves "just cuz" it's not a good sign.

Amen.

R.I.P. to the Blizzard we all fell in love with, they left it back in 2001 (D2:LoD)

On a side note, WHERE THE #$@% IS THE PVP WE ALL PAID FOR???
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Lakkiada
Amen.R.I.P. to the Blizzard we all fell in love with, they left it back in 2001 (D2:LoD)On a side note, WHERE THE #$@% IS THE PVP WE ALL PAID FOR???

Amen to this!
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Lakkiada
R.I.P. to the Blizzard we all fell in love with, they left it back in 2001 (D2:LoD)

My jaw dropped when I saw this post linked in a Gamespot article:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-still-debating-post-launch-support-for-di/1100-6420925/
07/01/2014 11:49 AMPosted by Grimiku
We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now.

Yes, at the Blizzard of today, it's now in question not just how, but if one of their releases will be supported post-launch. Will they patch D3's UEE after it ships, at all? Not too long ago, that wouldn't even have been a question, but at today's Blizzard, Grimiku couldn't answer it. Not Grimiku's fault, but... damn. This used to be one of two things you could count on with Blizzard, along with them never releasing a game until it was ready -- which they also failed to, with D3's disastrous launch. Their current leadership seem to want to be EA or Ubisoft in the worst possible way; I don't blame Rob Pardo for wanting to jump off this ship.
Reply Quote
Rob pardo wanted the auction house to do more money from our trade. If he decided to spend that time to make a basic pvp system( a f..king "arena" one) this game would be today a decent one.

p.s.
the real name of pardo is "Rob Pardo Schettino"
Reply Quote
I spent a large part of my youth on blizzard games.
WC2 -------> SC2, except WoW because I don't like subscription.

I have to thank you for all the fun I had.

However I'm really disappointed since SC2 became an intentionally chopped up game, and diablo3 become.......this.......

I bought RoS only because 2 of my friends asked me to give it a try.
Not the Blizzard game = buy it on day one anymore.
Reply Quote
more lies and fake emo babble from a self-centered, egotistical, not to mention presumptuous blizzard tool thinking ppl give a rat's !@# about his personal life.

good riddance (edit: and please take any ideological compatriots with you).

fix the game, IMO.
Edited by STG#1110 on 7/10/2014 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 09:30 AMPosted by Hookha
This company is starting to look a lot like the titanic, even the captain is starting to think this sucker is going down. Good luck Pardo, thanks for all the fish.

So nobody is ever supposed to leave a company unless it's "going down". Well I'm sorry to tell you that that's not how life works. Things like this happen all of the time, especially in the video game industry. Someone will work for a company for 15-20 years and decide they want to either retire, or move on to something new. If the success of the company had anything to do with it, you would see a lot more than this.
Reply Quote
07/09/2014 06:48 AMPosted by Hypersonic
07/08/2014 09:53 PMPosted by OldPro
As long as it isn't directed by Uwe Boll.

They immediately rejected his application.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/52322/blizzard-rejects-uwe-bolls-world
hmm, his approach is to ignore the wishes of the fans? sounds like he would fit right in at blizzard to be perfectly honest.
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 01:11 PMPosted by falacu
07/10/2014 09:30 AMPosted by Hookha
This company is starting to look a lot like the titanic, even the captain is starting to think this sucker is going down. Good luck Pardo, thanks for all the fish.

So nobody is ever supposed to leave a company unless it's "going down". Well I'm sorry to tell you that that's not how life works. Things like this happen all of the time, especially in the video game industry. Someone will work for a company for 15-20 years and decide they want to either retire, or move on to something new. If the success of the company had anything to do with it, you would see a lot more than this.

Bro, if your CCO wants to jump ship or go to another company and you are the top game company per title out there...know what you do?

Make him an offer he cannot refuse.

Rob made a reason to refuse without it being seen as "first rat jumping ship". Truth is the whole gaming industry, due to profit margins needing to increase and title prices holding constant....becoming a piecemeal made in India story.

Having experience at Williams Gaming (If you are in the industry you know who that is) and can tell you the scene of today is nothing like it was in 2001
Reply Quote
07/11/2014 04:34 AMPosted by Houzi
Truth is the whole gaming industry, due to profit margins needing to increase and title prices holding constant....becoming a piecemeal made in India story.

That's not entirely accurate. It's a tough time to be a AAA publisher, true, but indie game developers are thriving, possibly because they're willing to make smaller games, targeted at niche audiences, and leverage the power of the internet to reach them. Every indie game may not be a best-seller, it may not make all the money in the world, but they do make money, and the money that they're scooping up is money that the big players are just leaving on the ground.

That's why Square Enix decided to return to their roots, and resume making the kinds of games that made them a success in the first place -- Bravely Default showed them the value in making some money with each title, gaining a greater share of a narrower slice of the market with each game, rather than homogenizing their entire catalogue to chase a mythical mass market ideal of game design which doesn't seem to actually exist.

Ironically, Blizzard have a Bravely Default of their own: Hearthstone, which is a quirky little game, made for very little by AAA standards, and designed to appeal to a narrow, niche audience (World of Warcraft players who also enjoy Magic The Gathering), and which has managed to become a huge hit. Unlike StarCraft 2, which is still only catching on slowly as an e-sport, and then only after Blizzard spent heavily to promote it as such, Hearthstone already has its own rapidly-growing tournament scene, created entirely by the game's fans, and costing Blizzard nothing.

Sadly, though, I'm not seeing any signs of Blizzard having a Square Enix moment, and deciding to "return to their roots" as a result of Hearthstone's success clearly demonstrating the potential upside in just making good games that please all of the players who pick them up, rather than making less-good games that are cynically designed to appeal to as many gamers as possible, while actually pleasing fewer of them. Square Enix were losing money each quarter, and thus motivated to change their business practices; Blizzard still has millions of WoW subscribers dumping $10 a month each into Blizzard's bottom line, and they won't see a need to change until that flow tapers off much more sharply.
Edited by OldSchool#1630 on 7/13/2014 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 11:05 PMPosted by OldSchool
Ironically, Blizzard have a Bravely Default of their own: Hearthstone, which is a quirky little game,

Sorry if this sounds idiotic.. but how is bravely default . a Console RPG at all similar to a DOTA style game?
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 11:24 AMPosted by STG
more lies and fake emo babble from a self-centered, egotistical, not to mention presumptuous blizzard tool thinking ppl give a rat's !@# about his personal life.

good riddance (edit: and please take any ideological compatriots with you).

fix the game, IMO.

It seems that Rob Pardo is not well-received here. When Jay Wilson left his thread had 225 pages of posts, it's still up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994

I haven't seen much posts from Rob Pardo in the past so maybe most people don't know who he is? I do believe he has a nice long gaming resume though...not defending D3 in it's current state because it's pretty dismal but I'm sure Rob isn't the reason the game is floundering. I think people may be too hard on a guy that just wants to retire.
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 11:17 AMPosted by Zaruen
Ironically, Blizzard have a Bravely Default of their own: Hearthstone, which is a quirky little game,

Sorry if this sounds idiotic.. but how is bravely default . a Console RPG at all similar to a DOTA style game?

Hearthstone is Blizzard's collectable card game, not their MOBA. You may be thinking of Heroes of the Storm.

The answer to your question, though, "How is Hearthstone similar to Bravely Default?" was right in the sentence you were quoting from, in the section that you chopped off. Each one is
a quirky little game, made for very little by AAA standards, and designed to appeal to a narrow, niche audience (World of Warcraft players who also enjoy Magic The Gathering), and which has managed to become a huge hit.

There are no gameplay similarities between the two, so far as I'm aware; it's more the development process behind them, and size of their development budgets, that I was referring to. Both are more akin to indie games than AAA titles, in all the best possible ways.

07/13/2014 03:34 PMPosted by Thanoscopter
It seems that Rob Pardo is not well-received here. When Jay Wilson left his thread had 225 pages of posts, it's still up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994

I'm not sure what you mean by "well received," but "Seven Years in Sanctuary" got so rough that Rob Pardo had to weigh in to defend Jay Wilson's honor:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994?page=106#2104

It you wanted to say that Rob Pardo hasn't inspired the same intensity of emotion in the D3 community, both good and bad, then I'd say you have a point; everyone in the D3 community knew who Jay Wilson was, and had a strong opinion, but I've seen more than one "Rob who?" post in this thread. He doesn't appear to be well-received, or poorly-received; most people just don't seem to know who he was, or care much that he's left.
Reply Quote
Any news yet if there's a new CCO? If it's David Brevik I will be the happiest Diablo player that ever lived! :D
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 06:08 PMPosted by Zeyta
Any news yet if there's a new CCO? If it's David Brevik I will be the happiest Diablo player that ever lived! :D

That would be great, but I think DB is happier being his own boss over at Gazillion -- with an exclusive 10 year contract with Marvel, and Brian Michael Bendis working for him as lead writer, he'd have to be crazy to jump ship for a company from which he'd parted so acrimoniously. It seems like there's still a fair bit of bad blood around Blizzard over that split, too ("F that loser" did not come out of nowhere), so even if Brevik were willing to come back, I don't know that he'd be able to, and be effective.
Edited by OldSchool#1630 on 7/13/2014 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bye bye bye.
You will not be missed.
Reply Quote
sounds like another qq thread
Reply Quote
Goodbye.
Reply Quote
If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me.

This is from his other post in regards to Jay Wilson's departure.

Sadly, despite the numerous threads that detail D3's major flaws and offering creative solutions to fix those problems, the game is going backwards. Itemization is as weak as ever, end-game options are severely limited, build diversity is a myth, the dev team completely out of touch with the community. Why bother with feedback if they won't listen or are dismissive of the criticisms?

If Jay Wilson's departure was meant to change the whole direction of the game, it certainly has not shown it. Many of the flaws that plagued D3 vanilla are still present in RoS. I expect Pardo's departure to have the same impact i.e. none.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 7/15/2014 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]