Diablo® III

New Idea For Competition in D3: Races

I just thought of this idea trying to figure out how ladders could be more exciting. Wouldn't it be awesome if they had RACES. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 where people go head to head in, let's say, the SAME exact rift/greater rift, or races to complete all the bounties in all 5 acts on a certain torment level? I haven't really thought into detail about this, but I think this would be a great feature for competitive play.

What do you guys think? How would you expand this idea?
Reply Quote
I'm sure the obvious way to expand this idea is, "And then give those who like this mode of play incredible loot not available to anyone else as incentive to do what they apparently love."

Truth is, if it was just a race with no reward but leaderboards it could be great fun. Can't see you someone posting a side-by-side video of the two teams?
Reply Quote
And here I thought someone was going to suggest being able to play as an angel/demon/treasure goblin. :(
Reply Quote
There could be some sort of matchmaking option and of course the only reward would be leaderboards. But there could be something that showed the other teams % cleared. There would be rankings for solo, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. Just thought it was a cool idea but i'm sure it will never be implemented
Reply Quote
Races..i was thinking about this word when i was doing the Aranae bounty and literally 4 players were rushing to explore and find the boss entrance.
My emphasis was on exploring, while what you suggest is additional to greater rifts leaderboards.
As long as there's no mini-loading times (whole race preloaded) and it's separated by difficulty, i'd be in. Now you got me thinking also about speed and balance, how some gears/classes/environment can all affect moving speed.

We could also have time scores for each bounty , but that would look too clunky.
I like the idea of timing a whole act / all 5 acts though.

Could also race for completing an act in campaign mode. Now that's alot of exploring. There's a tiny bit of a problem. All act maps need to be better randomised.

I have always wondered why they made us chase 25k trees. There could be race just for that : explore the map and find/kill the hidden trees. The better randomised, the wider spectrum of end times.

I have a feeling there's more "hidden" races..like longest streak of a combo or kills or objects destroyed..minigames that could eventually be scored, but with specific maps. The most creatures lightning-chained ? There could be scores for some skills as well. Some other achievements make you think of racing as well. For one, that Olympian achieve really made me think where's the races.

As for seasons, obviously fastest 100 would be something to want. Or who got 1st the next paragon icon. 2, 4, 6, 8, 9 stars.
Edited by Tornado#2254 on 7/7/2014 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/07/2014 04:31 PMPosted by Shadow
And here I thought someone was going to suggest being able to play as an angel/demon/treasure goblin. :(

Goatman.

Let me be a goatman dammit.
Reply Quote
I don't like the "fastest paragon" race idea just because all that means is whoever plays the most will be the top. With rift racing or act racing, it's about teamwork rather than sitting at the computer 16 hours a day
Reply Quote
Look up race events in Path Of Exile. These would be a great addition for D3. They could also be expanded upon in many ways.

Have a range of races going from brand new characters, to mid level characters required for the event, and any # of Paragon tiered races.

The possibilities are endless.

Also, it's a great way to add in unique and "targeted" rewards for winning something that's more than just who can sit at the CPU longer.(or bot the sneakiest)
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 7/8/2014 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
tiered rifts are a race.

who can complete X level faster?
Reply Quote
I wish my witch doctor wasn't black.
Reply Quote
They're not the same rifts though. someone will advance farther because they got a greater rift with more density. It's a poor assessment in my opinion. Also, people will just hit a gear wall and everyone will be at the top of the leaderboards at the same tier level. Head 2 head races in the same rift would give greater competition
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]