Diablo® III

LoH change

So to my understanding, the change makes it so it will only proc when you attack, once per generator or spender use.

After a bit of playing on the new Ptr my sustain feels really lackluster, it seems I don't get procs off cyclones anymore, or from aoe effects like wall of light pillar of the ancients

Anyone else on the same page? This feels awful
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Life on Hit has undergone a number of changes, and it can be little confusing at first. I'll go over how LoH is currently working on the PTR, but it's also good to keep in mind that it's still subject to tuning.

The bullet-point basics:

• You gain your Life on Hit amount per cast, so long as you're doing damage.
  • The amount healed per cast does not change based on the number of targets hit.
  • You continuously gain a portion of your Life on Hit value while channeling.
  • We're increasing LoH on items by another 100%, and LoH in Paragon by 50% in an upcoming PTR build
  • We're aware that this needs tuning, particularly with large packs of monsters, or those with Reflect Damage.

More long-form explanation:

Currently in the live game, you’ll receive Life On Hit when an ability hits an enemy, and then that mechanic is run through the proc coefficient of the ability itself. As a general rule, this means that many AoE skills give very small amounts of Life On Hit vs. single targets, and you typically get large amounts of Life on Hit against multiple targets.

We want players to be able to heal consistently at the times you need it most: Boss fights and Elite fights. To support this, we’re altering some of the conditions of Life On Hit. Life On Hit will now trigger once per ability activation as long as that ability requires an animation*. This means casting Magic Missile, Frozen Orb, and Blizzard all provide the same Life On Hit per cast. Channeled spells provide an equivalent amount of healing over any given period of time to non-channeled spells.

Not only does this allow you to gain more Life when you’re attacking a low number of targets with AoE skills, it provides more consistent healing between various skills, and it also separates Life On Hit from the proc system. This last benefit is important as it means we can be more generous with allowing Legendary items to proc various effects.

All of that said, there is still some tuning to do now that we’ve adjusted how Life on Hit works. We’ll be keeping an eye a close eye on it, and continue to make the necessary adjustments to get it in line with where we want.

*Attacks that deal damage, but don't animate (like Overpower, or Frost Nova) do not trigger Life on Hit. The intention is to prevent double LoH procs per animation cycle since these skills can be cast while attacking, or channeling.
Edited by Lylirra on 7/15/2014 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Right. So Life on Hit isn't really Life on Hit anymore. Got it. It's more like Life per Second, as long as you're attacking.
Edited by percydaman#1512 on 7/15/2014 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So to clarify, if I shoot a cluster arrow for 40 hatred at a target, I got 1 x my LOH in return even tho the spell hits the target 4-5 times?
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:12 PMPosted by goatsword
So to clarify, if I shoot a cluster arrow for 40 hatred at a target, I got 1 x my LOH in return even tho the spell hits the target 4-5 times?

That sounds about right. Awesome eh?
Reply Quote
Grim, I appreciate you taking the time to explain the current iteration of LOH. Might I recommend a swap of where the benefits are going, however?

As it stands LOH will ALWAYS be less desirable than, say. CC or CHD. Increasing the amount by 100% on items isn't really going to change that.

The paragon boost will barely be noticeable even after the 50% increase, it would still just be 6257.

Switch the 100% boost to Paragon and the 50% to current and new items.
Edited by Endlessheals#1248 on 7/15/2014 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
should LoH be a secondary stat then?
Reply Quote
just bring back life steal, stop wasting time and resources on this useless topic.

INSTEAD work on improving 2 handers (and stop dodging questions about 2 handers)

and if you still have time, work on PVP.

now if someone can relay this message to the devs......
Reply Quote
So if i put sentry it wont give me loh? Because i put 1 sentry and got 1 x my loh even if sentry atack for 20 sec? o.o
Reply Quote
This works out just fine, if those packs of mobs have to elect one champion to slug me in the face. Toe to toe we go. One of them hits me, I hit all of them and get one sweet LOH proc.

They are gonna elect one champ, right? Only fair...
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
. Life On Hit will now trigger once per ability activation as long as that ability requires an animation*

So skills like explosive blast that deal damage have effectively been nerfed to no longer work with LoH? Fantastic idea Blizzard, lets take a skill that requires you to be close to your enemy and castrate it so that you can't use LoH to gain any life from it. To kick someone in the nuts a little harder you remove the ability for skills that hit multiple targets to benefit from LoH when hitting more than one enemy. So now for instance a wizard with a wand of woh has no effective way to heal through magic missile or through explosive blast. This is a horrible idea to say the least.

Do you people actually even play this game?
Edited by Phantom#11548 on 7/15/2014 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's life on hit, but with an ICD
Reply Quote
What an insanely complicated yet uninspired fix to a problem that blizzard created by removing lifesteal, a mechanic that works in like every semi modern ARPG ever lol
Reply Quote
What they are basically doing is making

LpH = Life Steal with a cap that doesn't matter how much damage you deal

Could have kept LpH the same as live and bring back LS in that design...
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
and it also separates Life On Hit from the proc system. This last benefit is important as it means we can be more generous with allowing Legendary items to proc various effects

This is only true if LoH is what has been keeping you from raising the proc rates on skills. I'm surprised because I would have thought that the incredible and varied legedary item effects would be more of a restriction.

The implication you're making here (whether or not you realize it) is that Blizzard will be raising the proc rate on a number of skills now that LoH is no longer linked to proc rates. Any word on what skills Blizzard felt that LoH was holding back the proc rates on? (Or on when we'll be hearing from Devs about that?)
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:22 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

lol why are you guys trying to make incorrect analogies to define LoH. A more accurate name would simply be Life per Cast, which is what it is.
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:21 PMPosted by Rooder
What an insanely complicated yet uninspired fix to a problem that blizzard created by removing lifesteal, a mechanic that works in like every semi modern ARPG ever lol

And would have worked fine in D3 if Blizz had chosen to not mega inflate damage and in turn have to mega inflate monster HP etc etc etc. There's no reason why we need to be hitting in the hundreds of millions in damage. It's just stupid.
Reply Quote
07/15/2014 02:24 PMPosted by ChadWarden
07/15/2014 02:22 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

lol why are you guys trying to make incorrect analogies to define LoH. A more accurate name would simply be Life per Cast, which is what it is.

Yeah well, then why is it called Life on Hit. Kind of defeats the purpose of the name, when you don't get life back when you hit something. Derp
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I'm not really a huge fan of the new LOH.

While proc coefficients were, well, hit or miss at best, you could manipulate them to work to your advantage. Now you can't.

And like others have mentioned before, the new LOH is basically just life regen as long as you're attacking, or life per cast, or life per attack, whatever floats your boat. It's not really life per "hit" anymore.

Better yet, it can be compared to shielding effects like the wizard's Magic Weapon - Deflection, which grants stacks of shield as long as you're attacking. It's basically more or less the same thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]