Diablo® III

Twitch Games

Not that this is any definitive indicator of anything, but right now on Twitch Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Ocarina of Time have more viewers (4,061 & 1834 respectively) than Diablo 3.

Just sayin...
Edited by IllIllllIllI#1106 on 7/12/2014 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
d2 would have more viewers if ppl actually would stream it :D
Reply Quote
And there are probably more people watching reruns of Friends as well. So yeah. Not indicative of anything really.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 03:35 PMPosted by Jimdio69
And there are probably more people watching reruns of Friends as well. So yeah. Not indicative of anything really.

I was never really a big fan of that show, Seinfeld was my guilty pleasure.
Reply Quote
dont kid yourself....this game was supposed to be WAY bigger than it has been.....

diablo 1 was at one time one of the most popular games around....taking the computer gaming world by storm..

d2 to EVERY aspect if D1 except A SINGLE ONE....and turned it up to 11. and went on to be a landmark in this particular sub-genre. paving the way for future titles from NOX to Titan Quest and onward...

D3 is still trying to figure things out or they would not be pumping out 50 page patch notes and ptrs for months at a time...

they already figured it out. they basically invented the friggen genre.......its so sad watching them fumble around and screw up such a potentially massive success....
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Shurgosa
screw up such a potentially massive success....

Games that generate something close to a billion dollars for their creators have gone beyond being a 'potentially massive success'. They're a success, critical or otherwise. Anyone that wants to measure success of a game that's incredibly repetitive, features little in the way of eye candy that can't be seen in just a short period of time, and is not that much fun to watch is trolling down the wrong path.
Edited by Eschaton#1854 on 7/12/2014 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 03:36 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI
Seinfeld was my guilty pleasure.

People actually found that show funny? I thought it was terrible and Seinfeld is a horrible comic.

"What is the deal with airline food, seriously?"

That was the joke and most of his were like this. Terrible.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 03:35 PMPosted by Jimdio69

My buddy is guilty of that, but he gave it up as soon as he heard himself say out loud: "Yeah guys Im out for the night, I might stay up and watch a few episodes of Friends but-"
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 04:22 PMPosted by Eschaton
07/12/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Shurgosa
screw up such a potentially massive success....

Games that generate something close to a billion dollars for their creators have gone beyond being a 'potentially massive success'. They're a success, critical or otherwise. Anyone that wants to measure success of a game that's incredibly repetitive, features little in the way of eye candy that can't be seen in just a short period of time, and is not that much fun to watch is trolling down the wrong path.

Im not interested in finances. i dont care how much money a game makes. thats not the yardstick i use to measure how good a game is......and there are a handful of aspect of this game that are the very best on the market as far as im concerned...

Their goal may be to make a gazillion dollars....and based on work that had already been done and products already available, they could have given us empty boxes and they would have made close to a billion dollars..... so just because it made that money doesnt mean that money can be attributed to whats in the game right now.

they stripped elements out of the previous 2 titles and now are leeching them back in slowly over a 2 year period.
more random areas

more ways to configure equipement with sockets and varying unique items and properties

and removal of accumulated weath to sustain the desire for progress in the playerbase....

which is great..........

Except every 25 year old on the forums could have told them to do that years ago and around the alpha and beta campfire's YEARS ago.... they were being told under no uncertain terms....

so its pretty pathetic to just watch it all unfold......thats what I mean when i say potential success..

they were supposed to be the U2 of ARPGs not the Miley Cyrus...
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 04:58 PMPosted by Shurgosa
Except every 25 year old on the forums could have told them to do that years ago and around the alpha and beta campfire's YEARS ago.... they were being told under no uncertain terms....

It's questionable that they were making the game with 25-year-old players in mind.
Reply Quote
D3 is still definitively superior than D2 & D1 combined (not to mention every other loot hunt game in the world) using the same metrics.

Just sayin....
Reply Quote
Never judge a game by how many streamers it has or doesn't have. A few days ago one of the upper tier streams was one of those monster hunter games on the Wii.

Yeah...
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 05:27 PMPosted by babinro
D3 is still definitively superior than D2 & D1 combined (not to mention every other loot hunt game in the world) using the same metrics.

D1 was ground breaking in it's time.

Diablo was awarded GameSpot's Game of the Year Award for 1996. As of January 7, 2013, Diablo has GameSpot's #1 spot of all PC games, with a score of 9.6 out of 10

Diablo 2 was the game everyone wanted to copy.

The game has received the "Computer Game of the Year", "Computer Role Playing Game of the Year", and "Game of the Year" awards from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences at the 2001 Interactive Achievement Awards.

It was awarded a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records 2000 edition for being the fastest selling computer game ever sold, with more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability.

Diablo III was released with the success of the Diablo chain intact.

Activision Blizzard reported that Diablo III had broken the one-day PC sales records, accumulating over 3.5 million sales in the first 24 hours after release and over 6.3 million sales in its first week, including the 1.2 million people who obtained Diablo III through the World of Warcraft annual pass.

The only acclaim, other than sales, was the trailer won an award.

The game was criticized for being an online only game. With good reviews but not ground breaking.

More sales in a bigger market. Less critical acclaim. Yes, it looks better but technology is better.

D3 is not definitively better. If anything, D1 and D2 were much more highly regarded when released.

D4, if it comes, will help determine the success of D3. If sales drop off sharply, than D3 did not live up to the success of D1 and D2.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Kute

Just sayin....

it's like d2 with half the features but improved graphics but the graphics are still !@#$ anyways so noone cares. this game isn't a quarter of the game d2 was, and that is not an exaggeration. d3 was a step backwards in this genre, and an abomination of the franchise name and development time. a creative farce

LoL you don't even play RoS you have no creditability here on this topic.
Put this guy on Ignore he has nothing to offer D3 or the forum.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Morbrew1

D1 was ground breaking in it's time.

Diablo was awarded GameSpot's Game of the Year Award for 1996. As of January 7, 2013, Diablo has GameSpot's #1 spot of all PC games, with a score of 9.6 out of 10

Diablo 2 was the game everyone wanted to copy.

The game has received the "Computer Game of the Year", "Computer Role Playing Game of the Year", and "Game of the Year" awards from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences at the 2001 Interactive Achievement Awards.

It was awarded a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records 2000 edition for being the fastest selling computer game ever sold, with more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability.

Diablo III was released with the success of the Diablo chain intact.

Activision Blizzard reported that Diablo III had broken the one-day PC sales records, accumulating over 3.5 million sales in the first 24 hours after release and over 6.3 million sales in its first week, including the 1.2 million people who obtained Diablo III through the World of Warcraft annual pass.

The only acclaim, other than sales, was the trailer won an award.

The game was criticized for being an online only game. With good reviews but not ground breaking.

More sales in a bigger market. Less critical acclaim. Yes, it looks better but technology is better.

D3 is not definitively better. If anything, D1 and D2 were much more highly regarded when released.

While I agree with your statements as they are well thought out...my post was just a snarky retort to the OP's joke of a thread. I personally feel that D3 is better a better designed and more fun game but that's just my opinion.

It's clear that D3 will always be viewed upon as a total failure even if some feel it did redeem itself. The average person who thinks of D3 will be quick to point out it's launch stability issues, the RMAH and the removal of said AH's. That's D3's legacy.

07/12/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Morbrew1
D4, if it comes, will help determine the success of D3. If sales drop off sharply, than D3 did not live up to the success of D1 and D2.
I disagree 100% with this.

Bioshock Infinite did incredibly well despite the mediocre disappointment that was Bioshock 2. A Link to the Past follow up to Zelda 2 was a huge success despite that being considered a failure. Assassin's Creed Black Flag vs AC3. I can almost guarantee you that Dragon Age: Inquisition will perform well relative to Dragon Age 2.

A franchises appeal and demand doesn't always lessen from a single miss or substandard entry.
Reply Quote
Who the hell is watching somebody else play video games? How is that a thing!?
I get sitting in your room with your friends all playing together watching/taking turns.
I get watching a dev look at new features, or a pro give a guide or tutorial

But just watching somebody stream D3? ....wha?
Edited by Goodbrew#1305 on 7/12/2014 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you played Euro Truck Simulator 2 its the bomb GOTY material
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]