Diablo® III

Twitch Games

07/12/2014 03:30 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI
Not that this is any definitive indicator of anything, but right now on Twitch Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Ocarina of Time have more viewers (4,061 & 1834 respectively) than Diablo 3.

Just sayin...

Who cares ?? Just saying ..
Reply Quote
Maybe because D3 isn't a very good game and is boring to watch?
Reply Quote
Are there people spending time watching others play? I though streams are for winning games for free that's why people join to have chance of winning.

Why would anyone watch others play when can spend same time actually play??
Reply Quote
I'll just copy paste what i wrote in the other thread since people apparently don't know what a search funtion is or just look at the frontpage of thier screen.

While twitch can sometimes be a wink of how a game is doing it can't really be said about all games.

The reason D3 once had high viewers was because it was new and people wanted to see what it looked like. Same with RoS.

That being said D3 is not a competative game (yet) and in all honesty while fun playing is absolutely no fun watching. We are not talking about watching some pro player here or E-sport event we are talking about sitting and watching someone farm.
Reply Quote
I don't like this game at all but getting 2 to 3000 viewers consistently on twitch is not that bad.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 05:27 PMPosted by babinro
D3 is still definitively superior than D2 & D1 combined

lol? u serious? LOL
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Shurgosa
dont kid yourself....this game was supposed to be WAY bigger than it has been.....

diablo 1 was at one time one of the most popular games around....taking the computer gaming world by storm..

d2 to EVERY aspect if D1 except A SINGLE ONE....and turned it up to 11. and went on to be a landmark in this particular sub-genre. paving the way for future titles from NOX to Titan Quest and onward...

D3 is still trying to figure things out or they would not be pumping out 50 page patch notes and ptrs for months at a time...

they already figured it out. they basically invented the friggen genre.......its so sad watching them fumble around and screw up such a potentially massive success....

Diablo 2 did well for it's time but it didn't bring people who are new to gaming into gaming really. Not enough to really matter. Diablo 2's statistics aren't as great as people make it out to be.

D2 sold 4.2 million copies and only 2.5 million people bought Lord of Destruction. 2.2 million people bought Lord of Destruction on the opening two weeks. This means that only 300,000 people bought the game within it's 12 year lifespan. Most of those probably being bots that were banned that had to get a new CD. Only the most hardcore fans continued to buy the game and actually keep playing.

I'm not knocking Diablo but let's be honest. Action RPGs is a niche market. Blizzard action rpgs being the the most popular but in the end they're still niche compared to other games nowadays.

Diablo 3 sold 7.8 million copies with reaper of souls selling 2.7 million copies. People attribute this to meaning that since a small % returned to the game as opposed to d2 that means d3 didn't do as well but there's other factors. Diablo 2 released relatively soon after Diablo 1. The same generation of players that played d1 also bought d2. D3 released amongst a new generation of gamers who probably got d3 just because they liked blizzard and likely never played an ARPG in their life. These people probably moved on pretty quickly. I had many friends get into d3 that never played an ARPG before and absolutely hated the top down view, the grinding, etc.
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 05:27 PMPosted by babinro
D3 is still definitively superior than D2 & D1 combined (not to mention every other loot hunt game in the world) using the same metrics.

Just sayin....

thanks for the laugh :D

and when ppl finally realize that graphics don´t matter at all ? tztztz
Reply Quote
07/12/2014 08:20 PMPosted by Goodbrew
Who the hell is watching somebody else play video games? How is that a thing!?
I get sitting in your room with your friends all playing together watching/taking turns.
I get watching a dev look at new features, or a pro give a guide or tutorial

But just watching somebody stream D3? ....wha?

Who the hell is watching somebody else play football? How is that a thing?
I get going into the street with your friends, all playing together/taking turns.
I get watching the best players showing training techiques, or a pro giving strategic advice.

But just watching somebody stream a football match? ...wha?
Reply Quote
View profile
07/12/2014 08:05 PMPosted by DeadRu
07/12/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Kute

it's like d2 with half the features but improved graphics but the graphics are still !@#$ anyways so noone cares. this game isn't a quarter of the game d2 was, and that is not an exaggeration. d3 was a step backwards in this genre, and an abomination of the franchise name and development time. a creative farce

LoL you don't even play RoS you have no creditability here on this topic.
Put this guy on Ignore he has nothing to offer D3 or the forum.

Well I have played it and I approve of what he said. There, credibility.
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 08:10 AMPosted by Frostraven
Who the hell is watching somebody else play football? How is that a thing?
I get going into the street with your friends, all playing together/taking turns.
I get watching the best players showing training techiques, or a pro giving strategic advice.

But just watching somebody stream a football match? ...wha?

Football players make how much money? How many people watch football?

Streamers make how much money? How many people watch streams?

2/10, made me reply.

10/10 encouraging people to go outside and play something, anything.
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Reslin
dont kid yourself....this game was supposed to be WAY bigger than it has been.....

diablo 1 was at one time one of the most popular games around....taking the computer gaming world by storm..

d2 to EVERY aspect if D1 except A SINGLE ONE....and turned it up to 11. and went on to be a landmark in this particular sub-genre. paving the way for future titles from NOX to Titan Quest and onward...

D3 is still trying to figure things out or they would not be pumping out 50 page patch notes and ptrs for months at a time...

they already figured it out. they basically invented the friggen genre.......its so sad watching them fumble around and screw up such a potentially massive success....

Diablo 2 did well for it's time but it didn't bring people who are new to gaming into gaming really. Not enough to really matter. Diablo 2's statistics aren't as great as people make it out to be.

D2 sold 4.2 million copies and only 2.5 million people bought Lord of Destruction. 2.2 million people bought Lord of Destruction on the opening two weeks. This means that only 300,000 people bought the game within it's 12 year lifespan. Most of those probably being bots that were banned that had to get a new CD. Only the most hardcore fans continued to buy the game and actually keep playing.

I'm not knocking Diablo but let's be honest. Action RPGs is a niche market. Blizzard action rpgs being the the most popular but in the end they're still niche compared to other games nowadays.

Diablo 3 sold 7.8 million copies with reaper of souls selling 2.7 million copies. People attribute this to meaning that since a small % returned to the game as opposed to d2 that means d3 didn't do as well but there's other factors. Diablo 2 released relatively soon after Diablo 1. The same generation of players that played d1 also bought d2. D3 released amongst a new generation of gamers who probably got d3 just because they liked blizzard and likely never played an ARPG in their life. These people probably moved on pretty quickly. I had many friends get into d3 that never played an ARPG before and absolutely hated the top down view, the grinding, etc.

yea I supposed I shoudl clarify, when I spout on about how "successful" d1 and 2 was I often mean critical success as opposed to mainstream or financial....

I have looked up the actual sales numbers for the titles a few months ago... before and although I might have read different actual numbers because we're dealing in millions of units the conlusion was just as you pointed out....that far less people bought LoD than D2. your description of the numbers is really interesting....

here is an old quote from a thread I replied to many months ago..

this is what I found on websites that seemed to be "press release posts" on D2 and expansion sales....obviously when dealing with millions of units across the globe some flexibility must be displayed when digesting the raw data :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 3, 2014

D2 was released jun 29th 2000
D2 then sold about 4,000,000 copies in the months to follow
D2 LOD was released June 27th 2001
around August 29th 2001 it was mentioned that D2 LOD sales were at just over 1,000,000
take that for what you will...
-------------------------------------------------------

When I read the rest of your post I feel as if your saying that the heavy success of the other franchises blizzard has helped spur on the sales of D3 to those not familiar with the series....is that the jist of it?
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Reslin

Why do you stop counting the Diablo 2 sales after 2002?
What about the 13 000 000 copies Diablo 2 sold AFTER 2002?

According to VIVENDI, Blizzard's owner -- before Activision got their dirty claws on Blizzard -- Diablo 2 sold a total of 17 000 000 copies, PLUS 17 000 000 copies of Lord of Destrution.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Blizzard_games

After the merging of Blizzard and Activision, Vivendi only has one report left that contains data about Blizzard, from 2004 -- the 2008 report is not there any more.

Keep in mind Diablo 2 was one of the top 10 best selling PC games of 2010.

YES. TWENTY TEN.
Edited by Frostraven#1952 on 7/13/2014 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
D2 sold 4.2 million copies and only 2.5 million people bought Lord of Destruction. 2.2 million people bought Lord of Destruction on the opening two weeks. This means that only 300,000 people bought the game within it's 12 year lifespan.

so...
4.2 million copies of D2 + 2.5 million expansions sold = 300,000 sold

Redo your math....
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 08:25 AMPosted by Bouldergore
D2 sold 4.2 million copies and only 2.5 million people bought Lord of Destruction. 2.2 million people bought Lord of Destruction on the opening two weeks. This means that only 300,000 people bought the game within it's 12 year lifespan.

so...

Redo your math....

+1

Redo your math and your facts.
Reply Quote
07/13/2014 08:25 AMPosted by Bouldergore

so...

Redo your math....

Uh. No. You misunderstood my post. 2.2 million people bought it in the opening two weeks. The current sales numbers are 2.5 million. That means in 12 years only 300,000 new people bought it from opening week. After the opening week numbers there was only 300,000 copies sold. Barely anyone was buying copies after the first two weeks.

As for where I got my numbers

http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/

Frostraven. Vgsales is wrong. They give wikipedia as their source. Click wikipedia. Wikipedia claims that D2 expansion only sold 1,000,000 copies and d2 vanilla isn't even listed amongst the top games sold. Their own source doesn't have ANY of the information they claim. Also top 10 games of 2010?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/01/14/the-best-selling-games-of-2010

Where is D2?
Edited by Reslin#1758 on 7/13/2014 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
<span class="truncated">...</span>

so...

Redo your math....

Uh. No. You misunderstood my post. 2.2 million people bought it in the opening two weeks. The current sales numbers are 2.5 million. That means in 12 years only 300,000 new people bought it from opening week. After the opening week numbers there was only 300,000 copies sold. Barely anyone was buying copies after the first two weeks.

Frostraven. Vgsales is wrong. They give wikipedia as their source. Click wikipedia. Wikipedia claims that D2 expansion only sold 1,000,000 copies and d2 vanilla isn't even listed amongst the top games sold. Their own source doesn't have ANY of the information they claim. Also top 10 games of 2010?

Where is D2?

well from what I read on the Wikipedia it has 11 million people were still playing D2 as of 2010. lets see D3 get even a fraction of that in 10 years
Edited by Bouldergore#1377 on 7/13/2014 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Where is D2?

well from what I read on the Wikipedia it has 11 million people were still playing D2 as of 2010. lets see D3 get even a fraction of that in 10 years

Yet statistics anywhere else and from blizzard disagrees. That 11,000,000 is wrong. There is no sources that state diablo has sold that many. Blizzard's own data says 4.5 million sold. You can't have 7,000,000 more people than even bought the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]