Diablo® III

Dearly departed DH...

Well I lost my DH Rally last night… my first 70, and it hit me pretty hard (harder than I thought it would). She didn’t die to a PK’er, or a DC, or even to a lag spike. She died due to my ego… “stood in the fire” just a little too long to get off that extra shot of the bow, for just a little more damage. Changed up the tried and true spec (away from extra protection) for just a little more DPS. Swapped out a “save me” skill for “more action”… I killed her just as much as the monster did… and I need a drink… I think I will leave her active for a long while for her ghostly figure to remind me to be cognizant of what I do.

Color me “lesson learned”, I almost wish I didn’t finish my Marauders set yesterday, I wasn’t prepared for the play-style change it requires… I wanted to be in the action continuing to mash buttons.. GO-GO-GO. But, that isn’t the way you are supposed to do it, and Rally paid the price for it.

So, re-roll DH tonight, or wait till seasons fire up (when DH has an ow-!@#$-save-me passive like everyone else?) and roll that Sader slot now? What do you think?
Reply Quote
Ho Snap man!

at least you received an honorable death!

if you learn something in death then it is all the more honorable.

To commiserate, I lost my firewiz (t4 capable IG) to the act kw (t1...) and here is what I learned:

1. I play act 1 too much
2. it isn't just the reflect projectile feature of the Sokhar that cause issues it is the slow projectile function. I was using 3MM/+2MB fire build with around 105% fire dmg and +50% to elites @ 1.1M dps. The entire bubble filled up with my fireballs before he spun then game over man, game over.

gl on reroll!
Reply Quote
I shall raise my drink in Rally's honor!
Reply Quote
RIP Rally.

I'd say roll a HC Crusader if you haven't yet. Death is the game's way of telling you to try something new.
Reply Quote
What you are feeling right now is normal and it's also GOOD.

This is why we say that death makes you better.

Without this sting you are feeling now, then you feel no joy or pride in avoiding death.
(See also: SC mode)

Don't worry though- you carry the lessons learned with you into your next character- just like the gold and items in your stash. . .so your next character will be better I promise.

Glory to the fallen.
Reply Quote
rip bro. better roll now to train for hc seasons :)
Reply Quote
RIP sorry man..
Reply Quote
RIP Rally.

There's always threads about "why play HC?" For me, this is why. Going into the character knowing one day they will die and the sense of both loss and accomplishment when that happens. The death story that sticks with you and the memory of the things you did with that character. The gear they found (and took with them!). The longer they are with you, the greater that sense of attachment.

SC is just a repeatable grind with no risk, more about just putting in time without any risk of loss - anyone of any skill can eventually do anything in SC mode; they need only play long enough. If you can't lose, how is it a game?

I left my first lost 70 active for a while, too. She died to a rubber-banding staircase (heh).

Good luck with the next hero!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
RIP Rally

07/21/2014 10:55 AMPosted by Javelin
There's always threads about "why play HC?" For me, this is why. Going into the character knowing one day they will die and the sense of both loss and accomplishment when that happens. The death story that sticks with you and the memory of the things you did with that character. The gear they found (and took with them!). The longer they are with you, the greater that sense of attachment.

Well put! I raise my flagon in your direction, Longgone!

If I were you, I’d hold off from creating the new Demon Hunter until Seasons are released (but that’s just me). In the meantime, I’d recommend rolling a new class to keep it fresh. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best of luck!
Reply Quote
you could always copy your account to PTR and if your lucky revel in your DH a little longer. Thats what I did in the previous PTR before RoS came out.
Reply Quote
RIP.

I will drink to this after work!

-DooB
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've just lost my first HC character the other day, and I must say it's very unique experience.

And I remember some player who said "When you die on HC, you actually GAIN experience", and that's definitely the truth.

RIP.
Reply Quote
RIP.

This is complicated, I had my first HC character last month, a crusader, named MrDerp, and he died like one... I was lvl 66 or 64, being happy for earning HC achievs and being good at keeping myself alive, and one day he just...died.

His grave is at "The Battlefields of eternity", I think this is a good place for a warrior to rest.

Edit: And I learned a lot, he died because I was without patience to finish the rift (battlefields theme), I was searching the entry to level 2 because that level had some horrible monsters and terrible affixes, all together, armaddons / graveworms and that huge monster from act 3 that look like a giant onion and shield itself when it gets hurt, anyway, I was running like crazy avoiding everyone to find the exit, the sad part is that level was just a big one with only the exit to the town, so I had to finish it, there were 3 or 4 packs chasing me and I runned out of wrath, got cornered and that was his end :( he at least managed to kill 4-5 bastards and gave a good fight to the yellow one,
Edited by Vintersorg#1343 on 7/23/2014 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm 500 hours deep in my monk... I completed Inferno and then wrecked shop in patch 2.0 torment.. and am working my way through T6 consistently (albeit slow cause I'm a monk).. When he dies I'll be super sad :/ lol

My last HC death I walked away from the game for a year lol
Reply Quote
There's absolutely no reason to play HC.

I enjoy challenging games and HC is one of the things I always wanted to play.

But whatever skills you may have... whatever Gear you may find...

There's the angel of death called: LAG

Once it comes.. All of your hard work is going through the window..

If blizzard wants more people to play HC, they should form some "Safe" spots, aka checkpoints, of the character..
For example.. from playing HC : from level 1 to 35 you wont have any saves until you hit 35, then 70 another save... and each few paragons at the start .. etc... just some idea.. there could be many ways to improve the HC experience so people will actually try it without the fear of dying by LAG.

Thanks for reading :)
Reply Quote
07/24/2014 06:52 AMPosted by TheOne

SC ---------------------> (don't let the door hit you)
Edited by Javelin#1180 on 7/24/2014 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You realize your errors, which is 3/4 of the journey. Now applying what you have learned from this is the last quarter to adapt to your next journey :)

Good luck!
Reply Quote
07/22/2014 04:25 PMPosted by Araxom
RIP Rally

07/21/2014 10:55 AMPosted by Javelin

Well put! I raise my flagon in your direction, Longgone!

If I were you, I’d hold off from creating the new Demon Hunter until Seasons are released (but that’s just me). In the meantime, I’d recommend rolling a new class to keep it fresh. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best of luck!

This!
Reply Quote
07/24/2014 06:52 AMPosted by TheOne

I enjoy challenging games and HC is one of the things I always wanted to play.

But whatever skills you may have... whatever Gear you may find...

There's the angel of death called: LAG

Once it comes.. All of your hard work is going through the window..

If blizzard wants more people to play HC, they should form some "Safe" spots, aka checkpoints, of the character..
For example.. from playing HC : from level 1 to 35 you wont have any saves until you hit 35, then 70 another save... and each few paragons at the start .. etc... just some idea.. there could be many ways to improve the HC experience so people will actually try it without the fear of dying by LAG.

Thanks for reading :)

You came here just to disparage the hardcore mode of the game? There's a reason it's called hardcore...

I'll stop short of saying that we're superior players for that's not always the case e.g. when we lose a character but you just wouldn't understand that.

I say to you, start a new SC character and level as far as you can without dying. When you finally die, don't respawn and continue on. Don't play that character again, just tell yourself that they're gone.

Come back and let us know how you feel or better yet if you get a sense of satisfaction from it create a hardcore character and join in on what you know nothing about. You may actually find you enjoy it more than you think.

- a former SC player.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]