Diablo® III

Lightning is T6 legit now in PTR

ahh... yeah after a few basic calculations i can see that fb still provides 1.5-2k/s dmg more.
Reply Quote
The new lightning arcane torrent is crazy strong, it is like 1900% wd per cast, and it doesn't need any build changing legendary to make it work.

Assuming nothing changes, I can see it being the build for low gear wizards who don't have firebird or Wand of Woh. With this skill I can see wizard clearing t5 or t6 in nothing but yellow and crafted legs.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/18/2014 01:12 AMPosted by Jenny
There also needs to be some buffs to Electrocute (non fire runes) to facilitate VC/Mykens use with the new spenders. but yes I agree all is starting to look good in Wizard land :)

Ya, while I appreciate the fact that they made some runes of more viable skills Lightning, I had hoped at some point to get a buff to Electrocute itself in some way (skill or gear-wise.)
Reply Quote
Nice step in the right direction I think. Lighnint EB is a massive upcoming change. Though for those out there without Wohs (include myself even though being the one wiz item I dont posses) they clearly intend to grant some other intresting alternatives. Heard they removed the decaying nature of Electrocute which is great for Mykens/Camaral users. Still needs a better proc coefficient than 8% if it seeks for Wyrdward perma stun. But on the other hand maybe lightning AC can make good use of it. At 20% proc rate considering it fires multiple proyectiles per second a 17% Wyrd would grant an addicional 3.4% chance if not wrong to stun per hit. I get its not much but still more than what Electrocute offers in that way. All of it after the initial 15% Par passive stun of course. Personally I think lightning base builds are mostly about CC. Still havent seen changes that trully enhances that aspect of them. Cold leads on that field yet.
Light Blizz plus light Force Wave stacked by Mirros sounds like some %ele dmg boost.
Reply Quote
The real thing to pull away from this is that Blizzard is finally giving Lightning the tools it needs to succeed. It may not have the best sets around to support it, but without the right tools, no set in the world can support it. This is a great first step.

Now Cold, on the other hand...
Reply Quote
View profile
07/18/2014 10:50 PMPosted by Demo

Have you seen the top damage of RoF now? Looks pretty competitive to me (with a nice low AP cost to boot.)
Reply Quote
07/18/2014 10:56 PMPosted by GunnersDream
07/18/2014 10:50 PMPosted by Demo

Have you seen the top damage of RoF now? Looks pretty competitive to me (with a nice low AP cost to boot.)
I have not. That sounds nice.
Reply Quote
07/18/2014 09:48 AMPosted by GunnersDream
Ya, while I appreciate the fact that they made some runes of more viable skills Lightning, I had hoped at some point to get a buff to Electrocute itself in some way (skill or gear-wise.)

I've heard that electrocute now doesn't lose damage as it hits new targets. If it's true, then that's a pretty major buff, especially with velvet and Myken's.
Edited by Kurono#1772 on 7/19/2014 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Electrocute Chain Lighting is now the bomb baby.

Well at least compared to now. No more dmg reduction after jumping.

There are stronger aoe skills in game but this one is fun again for me. Strap on my Ball O Hate and Lighting storm. Single target at range anyways the new Lighting AT rune rocks.
Reply Quote
07/19/2014 06:41 AMPosted by Kurono
07/18/2014 09:48 AMPosted by GunnersDream

I've heard that electrocute now doesn't lose damage as it hits new targets. If it's true, then that's a pretty major buff, especially with velvet and Myken's.

I heared the same thing I have been on PTR and checked it out with my Ball of Hate.

I do about 2mil on first hit and about 2 mil on last hit. The ones inbetween looked ok too. But I did not freeze fram everyone. Just first and last. It looks legit now if only they dont nerf us. With o that's a bug lets fix it. They do that and it's back up in arms to make Forked Lighting again.

If Electrocute dont loss dmg per jump now fire can keep Forked :)
Edited by Umbra#1460 on 7/19/2014 7:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/19/2014 07:10 AMPosted by Umbra
If Electrocute dont loss dmg per jump now fire can keep Forked :)

yeah, I think they gave forked fire damage because it's no longer the best to use with lightning builds.
Reply Quote
Out of curiosity, running AT and blizzard, did you run into AP issues? It seems like the high cost of blizzard would sap AP and make perma channel difficult. Were you able to run without a sig spell or did you run with one?

EDIT: So I was playing around with this an AT/blizzard build in the PTR (keep in mind I really don't have much channeling or lightning equipment) and what I ended up doing is mainly using mirror images to cast blizzard. I'd open a fight with it sometimes, but mainly leave it up to the duplicates to cast. If I cast it more than a couple times it ate my AP and I couldn't sustain channels.
Edited by Gorgenstone#1817 on 7/19/2014 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So after trying Cold EB and finding that damage and AP sustain really lacked, I tried Lightning again and it's pretty good.

With 8 APoC and 17.2 RCR (10 paragon and 8 on my shoulders), Lightning AT regens AP against fatties... against Perdition RG, I was permachanneling Lightning AT whilst casting Flash whenever it was available. I am not optimised in any sense neither. I think with more CDR, I could hitting a lot harder but my problem now is low Vit.

The slot that changed my toughness was Storm Crow since I have to roll with +Lightning, Int, APoC and a socket. Anyway, I do have room to move things around, but at the end of the day, even if I can sustain my channeling whilst Flashing, I'm still gonna get hit by a lot of affixes. The worst mob so far are Morlu Incinerators. Meteors hit hard, knockback attack is a pain and what seems to be no cool down teleport makes them difficult. Add Fire Chains, Nightmare, Molten and Electrify and I can't get near enough to even scratch them really :(

Edit:
I'm running with no follower at the moment but I think I'll need to go double Unity setup soon to push higher GRs.

Current gear is:

Storm Crow (+Lightning, Int, APoC, OS)
Vaxo (no +Lightning.. I actually don't have any other amulet to use D:)
Aug's shoulders (CDR), chest (EB... might change to Armor or Life%), bracer (+Lightning)
Thundergod's (currently Life%... might switch to armor)
FB Gloves (don't have anything else... CHC/CHD/CDR)
WoW (damage%, not CDR)
SoJ (+Lightning)
Unity (OS with Taeguk)
Captain's pants and boots
Triumvirate (CDR, APoC)

I've lost about 200k sheet DPS from my fire setup, but nothing is beating fire either way because of FB6.

Might start hunting for a RoRG (finally). It would free up Aug's bracer slot and the RCR roll on my shoulders since I'd get RCR from Captain's 3p. I could go with Asheara's shoulders and gloves instead for more EHP though. Anyone out there with the gear to test this (*cough koko cough*).
Edited by MrDuMa#1541 on 7/19/2014 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried this combination yesterday:

Electrocute: Surge of Power
Lightening torrent

Gears: Tal chest+belt, Velvet+Myken, Augild Shoulder+Brace, SOH. And Vyr 3 pieces. Of course SOJ+RoRG.

I don't worry about running out of AP. Surge of Power can restore AP really quick. To endlessly cast AT you lose at least two primary affix on Helm and off-hand, which is a great lost. Let along all the active/passive skills to support AP. They can be switched to more offensive skills.

I am quite interested with the new brace + belt set. Immune to knockback is a big deal, I can't wait to try it.

BTW, anyone knows the difference between Vampiric and Votex? I seem to be sucked in by both of them.
Edited by Jacul#1805 on 7/19/2014 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, so I ended up running the following build:

Lightning AT
Lightning Blizzard
Frost nova - Bone Chill
Spellsteal
Duplicates
Energy Armor

I have to say, it was really fun. I don't have gear optimized for this build at all (I really wish I had a SOH to run with it), but it still felt really good. I had regen from Tal's 3 piece and the Templars inspire along with 3 APOC and never ran out of AP (I also had RCR from Captain's and Paragon).

The lightning blizzard debuffs seem to stack when MI casts them, which really ramps up the AT damage. As I said above I ended up rarely casting blizzard myself, mainly letting my images do it for me. One or two casts now and then was all I did. Frost nova works great because it gives me crowd control without resetting my AT damage and Black hole cause its a great skill with AT. I tried using supermassive, but still prefer the debuff/buff of spellsteal.

I also tried switching Energy Armor for Shocking Aspect and the DPS boost was noticable ... but then again, so was the mitigation hit so I doubt its worth it with higher difficulties. I was running on T5.
Reply Quote
Just tried a lightning hydra + electrocute build, melting T5 and I don't even have Storm Crow yet :D
Reply Quote
Using my currently equipped gear, with legendary gems, (simplicity's strength and wreath of lightning) and I clear t6 rifts in about 8-10 minutes, and I got up to 27 last night in GR before I had to pass out, though that one came down to 4-5 seconds remaining when I killed the RG, so I suspect I may have capped out.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 11:05 PMPosted by chrisloup
what about lightning woh wizards

stack lightning. stack conduit gem (since there is no fire% legendary gem yet)
3 second cd.

blizzard has lightning storm deal 20% more dmg , or 100% chance to freeze for 2.5 seconds.

shocking aspect..

This is exactly why fire needs firebirds and fire needs more fire % gear. If it wasn't for firebirds and cinder/fist than lightning in it's current state would completely be superior to fire IE the exact opposite on live.

It maybe just superior period though considering skill % > all , glad I saved lightning pieces to test..I just need a damn velvet.
Reply Quote
07/19/2014 11:19 AMPosted by Gorgenstone

I also tried switching Energy Armor for Shocking Aspect and the DPS boost was noticable ... but then again, so was the mitigation hit so I doubt its worth it with higher difficulties. I was running on T5.

Well, we said the same thing in vanilla and switched pretty soon in meta. The difference is there's no AH so there's no super progression but I'm sure once we've been grinding on G rifts for a month or so and have upgraded gems we'll no longer need to clutch on Energy Armor..just a matter of time. The shocking aspect buff is huge and considering lightning spams a lot faster than fire if the shocking aspect procs were even 1/3 of traditional SNS vanilla you'd have some killer eDPS already...

I always wanted to end game lightning, was a little peeved when I was forced to reroll fire cuz of WoW..now might be a good time to go back to my lightning home :D

Btw I'd use Supermassive for the lightning build. 1290% skill dmg >> spellsteal
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/19/2014 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I ran lighting AT / lighting storm / super massive

APOC not an issue at all with 8% chest, 10% crimson, 10% paragon, and 4 APOC from source, not even at RG.

dmg was comparable to my Firebird Dist build, but still less than WoW Bird. Survival was not a problem at all with Shocking aspect, life regen and LOH, everything is just CCed and I heal fast.

Done at T6
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]