Diablo® III

The... Pain...

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Reached Greater Rift 32 while soloing with a Firebird-Chainpocalypse build.

Spec was something like: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UQhNSO!Zbhi!Zacbcc

SO PAINFUL playing a melee spec. Well, hybrid, technically, with Forked Lightning in there.

Didn't use dual Unity nor any immunity amulets. Going against elite Barbed Lurkers, Mallet Lords, Khazra spearmen... ugh, Fast Molten Health Linked crap running all over the screen, couple of Thunderstorm bolts and I'm gone. I think once the timer ran out, I wasn't even at the 60% completion mark.

:(

Items weren't the greatest. Sheet DPS stood somewhere around 1.5 million and toughness was sub-11 million (2000-2200 AR, 7700 armor, ~350K HP, 6 melee, 18 range reduction). Healing stats sucked.

Helm: Firebird
Chest: Firebird
Shoulders: Firebird
Pants: Firebird
Boots: Firebird
Gloves: Magefist
Bracers: Strongarm
Belt: Witching Hour
Weapon: Wand of Woh
Source: Myken's Ball of Hate
Ring 1: Ring of Royal Grandeur
Ring 2: Stone of Jordan
Amulet: Golden Gorget

Only 55% fire bonus (gloves, bracers, amulet). SOJ was int, CHC, elite, socket with Simplicity's Strength (boosted primary skill damage). 28% EB bonus.

So. Much. Pain. DPS actually wasn't much of an issue. Toughness was. Also, there's a serious art to dishing out enough damage to proc Firebird and then leaving combat to continue to other mobs while the previous ones burn away.

Also, Rift Guardians = jokes. Furnace is still king and with Firebird, you only need to get one single proc with a fire skill and Firebird will do the rest. You can even teleport back to town and hang out while the Rift Guardian burns and drops dead on its own.
Reply Quote

• Demon Hunter: Pet Tanking / Offscreen Damage / Perma Shadow Power 35% damage reduction (if M6 wasn't the only option)
  • Barbarian: Can have full COTA + EQ sets for perma 50% damage reduction
  • Crusader: Perma 150% Armor from Akarat's
  • Monk: Perma 50% damage reduction from Epiphany
  • Witch Doctor: Perma 30%-40% damage reduction from Zombie Dogs + Serpent

Wizard damage reduction is definitely lacking... there should be an item that redirects damage to your mirror images.
Reply Quote
Did you use Furnace on a follower, or do you swap it for your woh on your wiz?
Reply Quote
If there was only some kind of form... some special power wizards could use to boost stats for a short while against hard mobs... something that looks like it was directed by michael bay...

Oh well... keep letting archon be the silly kid in the playground that eats glue :D

About pain Jaech, there's a secret you might know. Full blackthrones + full firebird's + Teleport Clamity = perma-stun on ground effects.
SHHH!! :X
Edited by HolyDiver#1664 on 7/18/2014 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/18/2014 03:52 PMPosted by HolyDiver
If there was only some kind of form... some special power wizards could use to boost stats for a short while against hard mobs... something that looks like it was directed by michael bay...

Oh well... keep letting archon be the silly kid in the playground that eats glue :D

Jaetch doesn't know how to Archon.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
07/18/2014 03:44 PMPosted by Midnight
Did you use Furnace on a follower, or do you swap it for your woh on your wiz?

I swapped to a Furnace. My templar was rocking BK Wedding Band. Fire a few Electrocutes, see the proc...

Leave combat.

07/18/2014 03:54 PMPosted by Machado
07/18/2014 03:52 PMPosted by HolyDiver

Jaetch doesn't know how to Archon.

I foresee Archon changes in the future. So I shall sit here and wait until my beloved returns in all her glory. /wishfulthinkingmaybe
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 7/18/2014 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/18/2014 03:20 PMPosted by Jaetch
So. Much. Pain. DPS actually wasn't much of an issue. Toughness was. Also, there's a serious art to dishing out enough damage to proc Firebird and then leaving combat to continue to other mobs while the previous ones burn away.

then change the belt to string of ears?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
07/18/2014 04:08 PMPosted by aw3s0m0

then change the belt to string of ears?

Wouldn't help against things that pose the most threats like Thunderstorm, Mortar, trails of Molten and Electrified procs (especially for fire specs). Barbed Lurkers suck the most because of their DoTs.

07/18/2014 04:12 PMPosted by Osiris
Mirror image is very good. You would have more control if you included it in your build. It's bugged on the ptr now.

Yeah, I REALLY wish I could have included Mirror Image to break crowd control and provide some more mobility and utility, but... that's a hit to DPS there.

Well, better Firebird pieces could also help.
Reply Quote
I think into greater rifts, the real issue is sustainability and dmg avoidance.

firebird WoW does neither, but the dmg output is definately top notch.

If 2.1 was LIVE today, I probably would run full mitigation pieces with life regen on every slot, and play disintegrate with firebird, while having Furnance as weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry I am at a loss, what is Firebird and Furnace?
Reply Quote
All I know is I am weak as hell at 800-1mill dps and I would love to know what i can do to fix this....it seems difficult to find good info.
Reply Quote
i just time-failed by about 30s on GR 31. I would have made it except i died so much in the first couple minutes that i had to leave the rift and swap out diamond skin for prismatic.

LMB: spellsteal
RMB: prismatic
1:EB: short fuse
2:FN: bone chill
3:teleport: safe passage
4:meteor: molten impact

Head: FB
Neck: tal's
shoulder: aughild
chest: aughild
bracer: strongarm
gloves: FB
belt: tal's
pants: FB
boots: FB
source: FB
weapon: Woh
ring1: unity
ring2: RoRG

i'm thinking about dropping strongarm and going with a very nice 7% melee/7%ranged int vit 6%cc 20% fire aughild bracer, and going for tal's chest instead. the extra mod will let me have a nice survivability boost and some of the missing dps can be had from tal's meteors...IDK.

will have to try again later. my FB gears actually aren't very good, the pants don't even have sockets...and the rolls on the boots are terrible and i haven't taken them to the enchantress yet.

I will try again tonight and see if i can get to 33+
Edited by kokopuffs#1945 on 7/18/2014 5:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, Jaetch, you played wizard forever, I am surprised you are trying to facetank Greater Rifts with our class with only one CC spell - blackhole.

I think for soloing mirrors+frost novas should be a must.
Reply Quote
i was messing around with aug shoulders / bracers, firebirds source, and string of ears.

t6 is easy mode, havent gotten to the 30+ grifts yet tho to test the build's true toughness

def an art form to getting your dot damage going, im having a lot of fun with it
Edited by GrizZ#1908 on 7/18/2014 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
32 is ez, wait till u get to 35/36,

These casuals~
Reply Quote
Didn't use dual Unity nor any immunity amulets.

So. Much. Pain. DPS actually wasn't much of an issue. Toughness was.

There is no reason to not use unity if you have one. It's far too good (until you get to the level where everything is one shotting you).

Also, Rift Guardians = jokes. Furnace is still king and with Firebird, you only need to get one single proc with a fire skill and Firebird will do the rest. You can even teleport back to town and hang out while the Rift Guardian burns and drops dead on its own.

This may be a bug. Witch doctors have a similar (almost) infinite length DOT and it stops working when you get far enough from the monster you applied it to.

There is a bug with certain rift guardians that do not stop taking damage from the WD DOTs when you go to town. It's quite annoying when running a Jade WD and trying to use rift it forward because the boss will sometimes die when you are in town inviting people for the kill.

I've tried the firebird bonus on a couple rift guardians now and it does not turn off when I go to town. These were rift guardians who normally work correctly with Jade (the dot turns off). So maybe the firebird bug is more extensive than what's going on with jade, if it is a bug.
Edited by JackStraw#1836 on 7/18/2014 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
07/18/2014 08:56 PMPosted by JackStraw
There is no reason to not use unity if you have one. It's far too good (until you get to the level where everything is one shotting you).

Might just be making sure his setup can survive in a group setting.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
There is a bug with certain rift guardians that do not stop taking damage from the WD DOTs when you go to town. It's quite annoying when running a Jade WD and trying to use rift it forward because the boss will sometimes die when you are in town inviting people for the kill.

Off topic, but you can just temporarily switch out Creeping Death and that will cut down the DoT. Temporarily removing Quetzacoatl should also stop the DoT if it works the same way as Marauder DHs temporarily dropping a set piece to unsummon all the Sentries.

07/18/2014 10:58 PMPosted by GunnersDream

Might just be making sure his setup can survive in a group setting.

Sort of. I just wanted to see how far I could go without using dual Unity. Otherwise it's going to be SOJ and RoRG.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 7/19/2014 12:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]