Diablo® III

New patch datamined. There may be hope for wizzard

07/17/2014 05:09 PMPosted by TheDoctor
They are pretty much the same damn spell and Ray of Frost blows Disintegrate away! All mages will work on getting frost sets over arcane sets. Both of these spells should do the SAME damage. Both should do the same damage as Ray of Frost. Then players can pick and choose which one they wold rather play.

No! Ray of frost is not equal to disintegrate. Disintegrate is a line attack that pierces all targets. Ray of frost is a line attack that stops at the first enemy it hits and splashes instead. The only time they become "equal" is if you use Lights Grace. Wich is a legendary and should be offering "game breaking effects". Wich it currently isnt because ray of frosts damage is equal instead of higher as one would expect from a weaker type attack.

As it stands, on live, Ray of Frost is not used unless lights grace is used. And even then its just a cold variant of disintegrate, not a game breaking effect. Infact, because disintegrate is getting a fire rune, fire might verry well be the dominant spec yet again. Because firebird + Cindercoat (30% reduced resource cost!!!). At the verry least, frost gets a viable build and fire gets a nice spender.
Reply Quote
^^ ray of frost is still mostly single target (it doesn't pierce without light of grace). This is good IMO. It could turn light of grace into a real game changer.

I'm more annoyed by the forked lightning change. The entire disintegrate spell could be changed to fire and still make sense conceptually (and right now this would prob be a good change), while forked lightning just . . . doesn't.

Edit:reply was meant for thedoctor, not skyqula. :x
Edited by Mars#1316 on 7/17/2014 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 05:09 PMPosted by TheDoctor
I just do not get it... I just don't...

Disintegrate : Now deals 390% weapon damage initially (up from 360%), increasing by 250% (up from 100%) per second, up to 890% (up from 860%).

And then you have a skill that FREEZES and SLOWS Ray of Frost...

Ray of Frost : Now deals 430% weapon damage initially (up from 380%), increasing by 450% (up from 115%) per second, up to 1240% (up from 955%).

They are pretty much the same damn spell and Ray of Frost blows Disintegrate away! All mages will work on getting frost sets over arcane sets. Both of these spells should do the SAME damage. Both should do the same damage as Ray of Frost. Then players can pick and choose which one they wold rather play.

Flat out incorrect when you factor in Slorak's and Cindercoat for Convergence (which is awesome in the new PTR build).

Blizzard did extremely well with the wizard changes for the most part. More testing is needed, but I feel like every element may have viable builds now. I was just messing around with Arcane Torrent + Lightning EB + Wand of Woh + resource cost reduction w/ paralysis passive. Great change here.
Reply Quote
Game Designer
07/17/2014 04:00 PMPosted by maSu
Energy Twister
Mistral Breeze : Now reduces cost to 25 Arcane Power (down from 28).

Energy Twister actually received a significant change (in addition to the AP cost reduction on Mistral Breeze) in the latest PTR patch that I’d like some feedback from you guys on. The change didn’t show up in datamining, so I’ll leave this tidbit of information here:

• Energy Twister now originates from the player’s click location

The goal here is to retain Energy Twister’s unpredictability, while still allowing you to hit the target you’re aiming for.

We'll get the PTR patch notes updated shortly. In the meantime, give ET a whirl and let me know what you think! Thanks!
Edited by Lylirra on 7/17/2014 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Eletrocute - Forked Lightning will go to fire... Awesome.

What's Blizzard thinking !?!?

The Wizard class is already all focused on fire damage, with few exceptions. And then, Blizzard decides to take the best lightning skill, the almost mandatory one for lightning builds, and turn it to fire... This is so stupid... In so many levels.

All the remaining lightning wizards are screwed. The mighty Shard of Hate doesn't proc with fire, and if you like Forked Lightning rune, all the +% lightning damage on your gear are useless...

Awesome !!
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 06:40 PMPosted by NaZGuL
Eletrocute - Forked Lightning will go to fire... Awesome.

What's Blizzard thinking !?!?

The Wizard class is already all focused on fire damage, with few exceptions. And then, Blizzard decides to take the best lightning skill, the almost mandatory one for lightning builds, and turn it to fire... This is so stupid... In so many levels.

All the remaining lightning wizards are screwed. The mighty Shard of Hate doesn't proc with fire, and if you like Forked Lightning rune, all the +% lightning damage on your gear are useless...

Awesome !!

this is the only change that i am supper disappointed with, this is was (now that AT has lightning might be good) the only good lightning skill. i REALLY hope they change this rue back and make surge of power or smething the fire rune.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 03:47 PMPosted by DeadDragon

Explosive blast no longer useless without woh? Cool.

In the end, only for lightning element. Fire element retains the (long) 6sec cooldown. I almost had hopes for Wiz!
HINT: Make Explosive Blast 3sec cooldown by default but change chain explosion to 6sec maybe?

No sign of decent buff to meteor shower still. Will there ever be some?
Edited by Zirkaloy#1968 on 7/17/2014 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 06:55 PMPosted by Zirkaloy
07/17/2014 03:47 PMPosted by DeadDragon

Explosive blast no longer useless without woh? Cool.

In the end, only for lightning element. Fire element retains the (long) 6sec cooldown. I almost had hopes for Wiz!

Explosive Blast : Cooldwon reduces to 3 seconds (down from 6 seconds).
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 06:57 PMPosted by DoomBringer

Only the Lightning rune. All the other runes are still 6sec: http://i.imgur.com/UJdcSRM.jpg
Reply Quote
I'm not going to hold my breath. There's a freaking lot that needs to be changed with Wizards.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 07:01 PMPosted by Bergtau
I'm not going to hold my breath. There's a freaking lot that needs to be changed with Wizards.

The changes are quite good. Try them out. EB has all elemental runes now, which opens up alot of builds with Woh. Arcane Torrent with the new lightning rune is awesome. Also an excellent change to the blizzard rune that freezes for 2.5 seconds. Between this and paralysis, wizards have a ton of CC.

Overall, it's a huge step in the right direction upon my initial testing, and that's not even with ideal gear.
Edited by noble#1104 on 7/17/2014 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 07:00 PMPosted by Zirkaloy

Only the Lightning rune. All the other runes are still 6sec: http://i.imgur.com/UJdcSRM.jpg

Indeed. I read it wrong. I scanned through the changelog and thought lightning removed the cooldown while other runes had its cooldown reduced to 3 seconds.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 06:39 PMPosted by Don Vu
07/17/2014 04:00 PMPosted by maSu
Energy Twister
Mistral Breeze : Now reduces cost to 25 Arcane Power (down from 28).

Energy Twister actually received a significant change (in addition to the AP cost reduction on Mistral Breeze) in the latest PTR patch that I’d like some feedback from you guys on. The change didn’t show up in datamining, so I’ll leave this tidbit of information here:

The goal here is to retain Energy Twister’s unpredictability, while still allowing you to hit the target you’re aiming for.

We'll get the PTR patch notes updated shortly. In the meantime, give ET a whirl and let me know what you think! Thanks!

The problem is that even if you "hit" your target a few times, the spell is still a waste.

Why do you want to retain Energy Twister's unpredictability? What does it add to the game play? Do you actually like the frustration of Energy Twisters spinning off into no-man's land after dumping a third of your Arcane Power into them?
Reply Quote
Easiest fix to Energy Twister: Energy Twister will now (slowly) spin towards nearby enemies.
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 07:05 PMPosted by Orrion

The problem is that even if you "hit" your target a few times, the spell is still a waste.

Why do you want to retain Energy Twister's unpredictability? What does it add to the game play? Do you actually like the frustration of Energy Twisters spinning off into no-man's land after dumping a third of your Arcane Power into them?

Wait for some testing with Valthek's Rebuke and the 2H buff before saying it's still useless. With blizzard having the ability to freeze for 2.5 seconds, I can see a similar build to SNS in vanilla making a return. Blackhole to group -> Blizzard to freeze -> Cast multiple WWs.
Reply Quote
Energy Twister now originates from the player’s click location

Raging storm is amazing now, you can aim the second tornado over the first and always get them to combine.

I need to test this, but certain combining is going to be quite the change, and for the better.
Reply Quote
Just tested with WoH.
Lightning Spec: Arcane Torrent lightning rune is strong. The charge it releases can pierce, which make it much stronger than Electrocute - Forked Lightning rune. The lightning Black Hole just got massive buff in damage (~600% increase), while Blizzard with new lightning rune increase damage by 20%. WoH lightning rune damage is weaker than arcane, but it still opens up new build. It has 3s CD, while other runes still have 6s cd.

Cold Spec: RoF damage ramp up is fast, combine that with FrostBurn, and Blizzard with 100% freeze chance. You have plenty of time to channel. WoH with EB works great too, 18 yards radius.

Arcane Spec: Disintegrate is now solid in damage. The 2s ramp up time can be done with Black Hole - Event Horizon and Slow Time - Point of No Return. Temporal Flux helps too.

About Twister: Cast two energy twister, wait 3-4s, cast another on top to combine them.
Edited by Ksdsdf#1424 on 7/17/2014 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/17/2014 07:11 PMPosted by noble
Wait for some testing with Valthek's Rebuke and the 2H buff before saying it's still useless. With blizzard having the ability to freeze for 2.5 seconds, I can see a similar build to SNS in vanilla making a return. Blackhole to group -> Blizzard to freeze -> Cast multiple WWs.

You know Valthek's Rebuke makes the Twister move forward right? So you freeze an enemy, cast a twister on them, they get hit by 1-2 seconds worth of the DoT and then it's out of range. 1-2 seconds of the 1500% 6 second DoT is 250%-500% damage.

I see no way Energy Twister can be good without either:

• Massive damage boost so that 1-2 seconds of a 6 second DoT is worthwhile.
  • No more random movement so that you can reliably get all 6 seconds to hit the enemy.

Or are you talking about the stationary Whirlwind rune 'Wicked Wind' (aka the only usable rune)? If so, it still deals poor damage (~800% over 6 seconds) and isn't affected by Valthek's Rebuke or the cast location change (it already was cast at your cursor).
Reply Quote
Yes, I did forget ray of frost does splash damage. It also slows and if everything is bunched up, it can do a lot of damage.

As for the change in the rune, they might as well just remove every other single element from the game and just keep it fire. No need for lightning spec, arcane spec, and with the use of cindercoat that will kill frost as well. Blizzard just does not learn, was mainly the reason for my first post. They just can not get away from fire. They change something that was a total arcane spell and add fire. Pretty soon there will be a fire rune for ray of frost called frostfire rune or something.

I just do not understand why people are not in outrage over this fire BS. I mean yeah, I have like 4 cindercoat, a nice firebird's set, but I do not want to be like everyone else and I DO NOT want to keep letting Blizzard get away with this laziness! They will not seem to make the gear to support the other elements, instead they will just change the element of the spells and everyone is just ok with that.
Reply Quote
I think some of these changes are in the right direction.
Wooo wizard changes! Lets get it right!

I do wish I could use less fire.
Edited by illPixel#1674 on 7/17/2014 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]