Diablo® III

Lightning more than T6 capable on PTR

Tested a few T6 rifts using the lightning rune on Blizzard and Arcane Torrent Lightning rune. Not only is the upfront damage fanatastic but it seems to have a great proc rate to boot. While channeling Arcane Torrent my Shard of Hate seemed to proc at a rate of every other missile.

With this short testing (going to do more later) I killed elite packs within seconds and Rift Guardians died like a pet doctor was going full BBV on it.

Stats were...

2.125m Light damage.
36% IAS
46% CC
336% CHD (can't get a roll on my Light ammy)
29.21% RCR
4 APoC
16.5 AP/S

Kept almost everything stunned until dead with the new Lightning Armor and Paralysis and with Blizzard light rune and Torrent Light rune it kept everything stunned while Torrent and SoH did most of the heavy lifting. Toughness was low but i got a rift with Corrupted Angels and Anarchs with no issues at 6.5m toughness before Unwavering Will.

---Gäbriel
Reply Quote
View profile
Sounds epic. Hmhmhm.

Still can't believe what happened today morning.
Reply Quote
How is the proc rate on the new shock armor? "Chance" on hit for 450% or so sounds really good. Do you have any AP issues? Torrent, blizzard, and black hole lightning looks fun!
Reply Quote
I didn't use Lightning Black Hole, Spellsteal is just too great to pass up unless you need Event Horizon. AP isn't an issue with my APoC, RCR, and AP/S. I'm currently stuck using Astral Presence but once i get a good Storm Crow with 4 APoC i could most likely drop Astral Presence.

I'm going to do some testing on T4-5 without any buffs up to see what the actual proc rate of JUST torrent is. I can't tell if it's the Storm Armor that attacks on crit (Great damage by the way) or if it's all Arcane Torrent.

If the build makes it to live i'll make a build guide and video, i need to research the proc rates on the new runes though. If Arcane Torrent has a high proc rate then IAS becomes a very valuable stat for those who want to perma channel because it will give you a good amount of AP back with 8 APoC.
Reply Quote
Kudos. Wrote this in a similar thread earlier today:
"Nice step in the right direction I think. Lighnint EB is a massive upcoming change. Though for those out there without Wohs (include myself even though being the one wiz item I dont posses) they clearly intend to grant some other intresting alternatives. Heard they removed the decaying nature of Electrocute which is great for Mykens/Camaral users. Still needs a better proc coefficient than 8% if it seeks for Wyrdward perma stun. But on the other hand maybe lightning AC can make good use of it. At 20% proc rate considering it fires multiple proyectiles per second a 17% Wyrd would grant an addicional 3.4% chance if not wrong to stun per hit. I get its not much but still more than what Electrocute offers in that way. All of it after the initial 15% Par passive stun of course. Personally I think lightning base builds are mostly about CC. Still havent seen changes that trully enhances that aspect of them. Cold leads on that field yet.
Light Blizz plus light Force Wave stacked by Mirros sounds like some %ele dmg boost."
Reply Quote
It's all about greater rifts now. How high can you get in GRs will show how "viable" a build is.
Reply Quote
I can do 28-30 with this build... Meanwhile 30-35 with fire (depending on the build).
Reply Quote
View profile
07/18/2014 10:02 PMPosted by tommos
It's all about greater rifts now. How high can you get in GRs will show how "viable" a build is.

Why would you say that?

Right now the loot you get in a GR is far less than a regular rift, so unless you are perfectly geared and just upgrading your legendary gems, regular rifts are going to more important.

Besides, do you WANT to only play one mode (with an annoying timer to boot)?
Reply Quote
07/18/2014 10:44 PMPosted by GunnersDream
07/18/2014 10:02 PMPosted by tommos

Why would you say that?

Right now the loot you get in a GR is far less than a regular rift, so unless you are perfectly geared and just upgrading your legendary gems, regular rifts are going to more important.

Besides, do you WANT to only play one mode (with an annoying timer to boot)?

Blizzard said this not me. Blizzard said that they are going to measure classes and balance them by using GRs as the benchmark. T6 is no longer end game; GR is. I think we should discuss builds and skills and items in the context of high level (level 30+) GRs.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/18/2014 11:45 PMPosted by tommos
Blizzard said that they are going to measure classes and balance them by using GRs as the benchmark.

Link?
Reply Quote
Can't be bothered finding it. Maybe someone else has the link saved.
Edited by tommos#1135 on 7/19/2014 12:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been testing various builds of the PTR on T6, have a pretty decent Firebird setup using either the new disintegrate, MB, galeforce, or hydra's etc. The damage is good but lacks a lot of control imo.

Now with the new torrent lightning rune with a SS and Taskers and shocking aspect, the damage isn't that far of the firebird setups but you have an immense amount of control from paralysis. Similar results with a shard of hate setup. Lightning is in a very good place I feel and my favourite in the current PTR build.
Reply Quote
I been playing around with Chain lightning with a VC/Mykens AT and Blackhole build
at about 2APS with 8Apoc and AP isn't a problem at all and even if I run low some hits with Chain Lightning and I'm full again. Found a Lightning Gem and that Procs almost constantly from Chain Lightning so chain on big groups of trash clears quicker than AT. single targets rock with AT will have to try light armor and maybe Blizzard.
Mucked around with Grifts but found the PTR server to laggy from Australia to get a good feel for it but got to 22 despite rubber banding and stuttering all the time. so I think on live (Australian) servers could easy goto 30.
Reply Quote
07/19/2014 12:17 AMPosted by tommos
Can't be bothered finding it. Maybe someone else has the link saved.

I think you're referring to this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14244559/patch-210-ptr-preview-6-17-2014

"Of course, with so many competitive elements hitting the PTR, we're also reviewing each class thoroughly to ensure no matter what you play, you have a fair chance at reaching your Seasonal goals. While we won't be getting into class specific details here, we wanted to share with you a few examples of overarching adjustments we plan on experimenting with during the Public Test phase."

It looks like they are monitoring the progress made by players with the new data from GR ladders and seasons, and using it to make potential class changes. That would make sense. If there is a discrepancy in the ladders by class, a player has legitimate case against Blizzard's class balance logic.

T6 is old news, GR is the new hotness. Touting that your build can do T6 is like touting your build can do T4. Ok, good, but it's just not impressive. Many players have been doing T6 the first week of RoS.

In terms of loot, I'm only interested in certain legendaries. In both rifts and GRs, I get a few legendaries from both, so I don't feel there is any big difference between the two. But the challenge is night and day. The only fault I can find with GR is that the challenge is too RNG, so I'm not sure how accurate it is to say your build can do a certain GR level. At least with T6 (non-rifts), you can specify map and mobs, making comparisons a bit more accurate.

That's why I have always advocated Ghom tests (or even Azmo tests) and looking at numbers like GR level to compare. Those numbers aren't truly reflective of how good a build is, but it's much better than saying "me T6 can do."
Reply Quote
The build has potential in Greater Rifts as well. Would require the help of a few of the legendary gems yet, but i don't really know what gems there are and what combination would improve the build.

The stun potential that the lightning build has with Paralysis, after a few levels you would probably have to switch from the Lightning Armor rune to either Prismatic or another defensive rune on Energy Armor but it can keep just about everything locked down and your kill speed is much faster than what an old lightning build can do.

If someone with more time to test could take the time to figure out what legendary gems synergize well with the build i would greatly appreciate it.
Reply Quote
A lot of it has to do with the fact that Lightning now has a useful spender that hits hard enough. I still think that Disintegrate could use a lightning rune. Maybe Volatility could be changed to Lightning.
Reply Quote
What was your gear and build, can you please post it?

How is your survival on T6, is unity required?
Reply Quote
Personally I think the best gem for this build is the one that gives you a damage boost to enemies that are under the effects of control-impairing effects. It has a base damage bonus of 20% and increases by 0.5% per level, which means a maximum bonus of 45%. Since pretty much everything gets perma stunned by Arcane Torrent, you will do 45% more damage while channeling it.
Reply Quote
07/19/2014 11:17 AMPosted by icemanfan
Personally I think the best gem for this build is the one that gives you a damage boost to enemies that are under the effects of control-impairing effects. It has a base damage bonus of 20% and increases by 0.5% per level, which means a maximum bonus of 45%. Since pretty much everything gets perma stunned by Arcane Torrent, you will do 45% more damage while channeling it.

That gem is good along with Taeguk. I also tried the Gogok of Swiftness and even at rank 1, AT will get it to 10 stacks instantly and keep it there.
Reply Quote
@OP:
Can you share your exact build, paragon point allocation, gear, and stats that you have on the PTR? Are you using double Unity in solo T6 runs? Which follower do you use for solo? Can you run some T6 rifts with a non-proc based weapon? I'm very interested in how the new Lightning rune changes perform without weapon procs.

Thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]