Diablo® III

The potential of Taeguk

Let’s talk about Taeguk and damage. Taeguk is infinitely scalable where 1 stack = 1% dmg and 1% armor increase.
Let’s take an ability and do some math
Ability - exploding palm - impending doom - 6305% weapon dmg

Now let's add some stats (excluding %elite damage for now)
Main stat = 9000
Crit chance = 45%
Crit dmg =375%
Elemental dmg = 60%
Skill bonus dmg = 0%
Dmg buffs (passives/auras) = 120% (taeguk 60 stacks, determination, relentless assault, momentum)
Weapon dmg = 2500 - 3800

So with these stats our damage is around these numbers
Average actual hit = 198,806,107
Actual non crit = 63,617,954
Actual crit hit = 333,994,260

Ok well what if we had 30% increased palm damage from gear
Average actual hit = 258,447,939
Actual non crit = 82,703,340
Actual crit hit = 434,192,538

Big numbers right? Well at a certain point damage is not everything, but when is that? Can we quantify when we should be putting damage on the back foot and going for more defenses?

Ok now let’s say we add another 20% damage from strongarm bracers as you are using Cyclone strike to group mobs for EP
Average actual hit = 281,943,207
Actual non crit = 90,221,826
Actual crit hit = 473,664,587

So you think you got +20% damage? Wrong, in fact you only gained ~9.1% damage. Was it worth it? Yea ~40mil extra damage per palm is really nice, if you kill the target to explode it. But I bring you back to my point, when should we get more defenses rather than relying on damage to kill the mob before it kills you.

Actual Dmg Gains
20% = 20%
40% = 16.7%
60% = 14.3%
80% = 12.5%
100% = 11.1%
120% = 10%
140% = 9.1%
160% = 8.3%

Ok so let's replace a passive. Let’s take out determination and switch it to near death experience. Now we have a mechanic to help us push forward in A GR and compensate for "HOLY CRAP, jailer just one shot me". As far as that 20% damage gain passive, infinite upgrading Taeguk will compensate for that. Now switch out relentless assault for beacon of ytar, we can gain the damage back with taeguk and gain 20% cdr, sounds amazing to me I love cdr.

All in all taeguk will be the best dps gem as in it allows for you to swap out dmg gain passives for defense passives or utility passives. Ok, I understand that it will take quite a few upgrades to get to that point. But, being able to have 1 gem compensate for 4+ passive damage gain abilities is something I just cannot go without. No longer am I bound to specific passives because I NEED damage. At the same time this can be said for activated abilities as well. With taeguk scaling infinitely it will replace basically all +damage abilities be them passive or active. What is the point you ask, I will tell you, no longer are you pigeon hold into a build that requires damage amp abilities. Maybe you go 2 offense spells and 3 defense spells, maybe the other way.

But wait there’s more!
Getting 60 stacks on Taeguk also means 60% armor (essentially free defense stats).
I have not done any toughness math as I my free time is almost nil, sorry.

TL; DR Taeguk gem best DPS gem in game IF you can keep stacks up.
Reply Quote
Remember that you'll have to use a spender 60(!) times to get your 60 stacks (and getting the gem over level 50 won't be easy either). After that, lag for a sec, or simply run out of spirit/forget to hit something and you're done, all the stacks are gone. And so is your defensive bonus. Unless you're proposing that every monk run a TR+IF spec to hold the stacks I see no overkill to DPS. It's a ramp system, you'll be able to kill stuff faster than you get up to "worthy" bonuses (unless you're fighting RG, then it's great as long as you keep your spirit high)
Edited by Morindal#2760 on 7/26/2014 3:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As Morindal said, this gem has some serious ramp up time when you have it upgraded to high stacks. If you are not running any type of immunity to freeze or any other CC effects that stop you from activating any spenders for 3 seconds, which is NOT really a long time, you will lose those stacks and have to start over.

This gem works great for large packs and single long target fights. Works well for bosses that have multiple levels, like rift guardians because by the time they get to another stage in their damage, etc., the gem is ramping up to its upper limits.
Edited by Relvinian#1791 on 7/26/2014 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is the one time innas set is useful. With it you can be up 100% of the time most of the time. It's just annoying
Reply Quote
Taeguk is amazing on TR builds.

Between it, momentum and hexing pants my monk TR's around with perma 1.8m dps
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 03:18 AMPosted by Morindal
Remember that you'll have to use a spender 60(!) times to get your 60 stacks (and getting the gem over level 50 won't be easy either)

60 stacks is easy..keeping it for a full rift is easy, i am thinking of getting this gem into the mid hundreds (~500). My point being not having this gem, which may require a TR build, will most likely be the best dps/solo build as Taeguk is crazy strong and lets you have defensive passives etc.

07/26/2014 03:43 AMPosted by Relvinian
If you are not running any type of immunity to freeze or any other CC effects that stop you from activating any spenders for 3 seconds, which is NOT really a long time, you will lose those stacks and have to start over.

not using serenity in almost any monk build is almost inherently flawed as it is required for anything past gr32

07/26/2014 08:35 AMPosted by Shifty76
Taeguk is amazing on TR builds.

Between it, momentum and hexing pants my monk TR's around with perma 1.8m dps

im running similar but will be dropping momentum eventually

07/26/2014 07:56 AMPosted by ZeeBearjew
This is the one time innas set is useful. With it you can be up 100% of the time most of the time. It's just annoying

i have 100% uptime on 99.5% of my rifts atm..waiting for my diabo to drop then i will proceed to the leaderboards :)
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 12:44 PMPosted by Azlol
07/26/2014 07:56 AMPosted by ZeeBearjew

i have 100% uptime on 99.5% of my rifts atm..waiting for my diabo to drop then i will proceed to the leaderboards :)

Innas' set does not allow you to keep the gem stack active by using sweeping winds, if that is what you are thinking. Just pressing SW does not increase the stack. If you do not have Innas', then SW will increase the stack.
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 03:44 PMPosted by Relvinian
Innas' set does not allow you to keep the gem stack active by using sweeping winds, if that is what you are thinking. Just pressing SW does not increase the stack. If you do not have Innas', then SW will increase the stack.

i do not use inna's as it will not give me the stats/set bonuses i need/want. I was simply stating that I already (without inna's) have 99.5% uptime.
Reply Quote
Taeguk with 4pc Inna's 2 pc Istavan's Paired Blades, 4pc Sunwuko's, and using Chant of Resonance with Mantra of Healing, and Inner Storm Sweeping Winds using either Cyclone Strike or Wave of Light Empowered Wave, and Mystic Ally Air Ally.

This works well because the Istavan's Swords buffs attack speed, the addition of so much spirit regen allows you basically spam Mantra of Healing shield, and stack both Istavan's and Taeguk with of course the SWK explosions.

I'm doing this on the PTR, but a few of my items have less that ideal rolls (SWK Ammy) and my RoRG with socket isn't so great.

I can see it working well after you go insane trying to get the gem to level 50.
Reply Quote
First isn't it 59 stacks? 10 stacks at lvl 1 + 49 more levels (stacks)?

Second.. It makes jawbreaker that much more powerful overall doesn't it? being able to constantly dash (if you aren't TR build) is quite insane.
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 04:45 PMPosted by iMind
First isn't it 59 stacks? 10 stacks at lvl 1 + 49 more levels (stacks)?

Second.. It makes jawbreaker that much more powerful overall doesn't it? being able to constantly dash (if you aren't TR build) is quite insane.

it is infinitely up-gradable, so you could theoretically have 1000 stacks (if you cant get there and keep them).

DS wont proc the gem as you need to spend resources, possibly mantra spam? not sure as i do not play DS build.
Reply Quote
Yea, just to confirm. Inna set bonus to spam 5 spirit cost SW does NOT proc Taeguk.

So I'm thinking TR focused builds to sanely keep 50+ stacks up.
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 03:44 PMPosted by Relvinian
07/26/2014 12:44 PMPosted by Azlol

Oh yes it does. every time you hit sw, you get a stack
Reply Quote
07/27/2014 11:43 AMPosted by ZeeBearjew

Oh yes it does. every time you hit sw, you get a stack

Not with the 3-piece Innas' bonus. The SW that costs 5 spirit WILL NOT increase the gem's stack count.
Reply Quote
07/27/2014 12:07 PMPosted by Relvinian
...Oh yes it does. every time you hit sw, you get a stack

Not with the 3-piece Innas' bonus. The SW that costs 5 spirit WILL NOT increase the gem's stack count.
]
Well that sucks cause i just tested it with the 3 piece and the 4 piece and was getting stacks up to 14, which is what i currently have it at. it uses 5 spirit which procs the stack. Ill take screenshots if you want, but it's working for me
Reply Quote
I'll test it for you guys. Gimme a min

EDIT:

Confirmed NOT working with Inna's 3 pc when you have Resource Cost Reduction

Confirmed WORKING with 3 pcs innas otherwise.
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 7/27/2014 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/27/2014 12:27 PMPosted by ZeeBearjew

]
Well that sucks cause i just tested it with the 3 piece and the 4 piece and was getting stacks up to 14, which is what i currently have it at. it uses 5 spirit which procs the stack. Ill take screenshots if you want, but it's working for me

Do you have ANY resource cost reductions?

I have over 10% myself, closer to 15% for the most part.

Maybe there is a threshold limit before the gem will recognize and increase its stacks.
Reply Quote
Well there it is guys, now someone go report this bug=)
Reply Quote
07/27/2014 12:39 PMPosted by scrapz

EDIT:

That does sound like a bug. Since you did the testing, Scrapz, you should report it. :P
Reply Quote
07/27/2014 12:50 PMPosted by Relvinian
07/27/2014 12:39 PMPosted by scrapz

EDIT:

That does sound like a bug. Since you did the testing, Scrapz, you should report it. :P

This has already been tested once you hit 6.6 RCR it stops working, below that will allow you to spend one spirit per tick, and keep the stacks up, I have tested this myself. The RCR takes the cost off the 75 spirit before the reduction of 70 points, make it cost 74 with RCR and you have a way to abuse it with inna's set.
Edited by Blackglitch#1350 on 7/27/2014 1:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]