Diablo® III

Lighting monk feels weak. Suggestions please.

My monk doesn't seem to be as efficient as I would like it. I have been reading that the Odyn's Son + Thunderfury combo is better than to use those with a WKL. Any suggestions to critique my monk would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
- craft auglild's shoulders and bracers
- ditch those thousand storm pieces and craft cain's
- focus on one resist on your crafts to go with OWE
- gamble helms for andariel's or eye of the storm
- gamble thundergod's vigor (belt)
- get sockets in pants
- use dex gems
- try to get better weaps (they both have low damage range as attack speed doesn't affect it) - aim for Odyn+SoH, WKL or TF
- get double unity ;p
Edited by kadius#2152 on 8/2/2014 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/02/2014 01:31 PMPosted by kadius
- craft auglild's shoulders and bracers
- ditch those thousand storm pieces and craft cain's
- focus on one resist on your crafts to go with OWE
- gamble helms for andariel's or eye of the storm
- gamble thundergod's vigor (belt)
- get sockets in pants
- use dex gems
- try to get better weaps (they both have low damage range as attack speed doesn't affect it) - aim for Odyn+SoH, WKL or TF
- get double unity ;p

Dude, this is all horrible advice, except maybe the aughild's mention.

OWE is gone in like a few weeks or so. DS nukes are more damage than anything, Diamonds in sockets, Cain's doesnt do much.
Reply Quote
08/02/2014 09:52 PMPosted by DarkxLord
Dude, this is all horrible advice, except maybe the aughild's mention.

OWE is gone in like a few weeks or so. DS nukes are more damage than anything, Diamonds in sockets, Cain's doesnt do much.

huh? he's playing old cookie cutter lightning monk, not stormbreaker. nobody uses +resist gems in softcore and the advice is obviously for 2.0.6.

well, since you use epiphany OP you can go for born's/captain crimson's instead of cain's but the rest stands.
Edited by kadius#2152 on 8/3/2014 3:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My monk is (still) pretty weak, I know. Very bad equipment, but I do have a thundergod's vigor that rolled rather poorly (11% ligh damage, dex, vit, wothf, light res).

How good is thundergods for a lightining monk like myself? I read it procs the weapon procs, but doesn't all but Odin have internal cooldowns? I do have a decently rolled Odin, but is it worth it?

I'm afraid I spent all my crafting mats on my crusader, recently, and can't really upgrade my monk with some farming, but what would be easy upgrades for this monk? (I know I would be wise to craft aughids when I have the mats, finding a new pair of gloves + ring would be nice as well).

I do have a handful of other legendary rings, but none come close to the dps this one gives me, and the same for the gloves. I usually am prioritizing my DPS instead of toughness.

At one point I had over 14mil toughness and it did me no good (I used thundergods vigor + some other thing that procced on dodge) even though I had over 60%¨dodge or something. And just 300k DPS. Since then I exchanged probably all my equips and can do T2 confortably with this setup.

TL;DR: Is a poorly rolled thundergods good for my build? Suggest a few other equips I should aim for.

Thank you all
Reply Quote
Posting again to link to my d3 profile. I don't know why Blizzard thinks I still play SC2 since it's been years I don't even have it installed.
Reply Quote
08/03/2014 06:57 AMPosted by Jotoco
Posting again to link to my d3 profile. I don't know why Blizzard thinks I still play SC2 since it's been years I don't even have it installed.

Your gear needs serious help. Sockets in Chest and Pants are a must, they represent 800 Dex with minimal investment (Flawless Imperial Emeralds), or 500 Dex with zero investment (Imperial Emeralds). I'd reroll the FoT bonus on those pants for sockets, and definitely reroll the DS bonus on that chest for them as well. Start with the chest first, an FoT damage bonus at least might be useful come patch 2.1 (though hopefully you'll have better gear by then).

The Mempo isn't doing you any favors either, IAS is much worse than Crit Chance. Even a decently rolled rare helm would probably be an improvement on that Mempo, unless you reroll that Allres for Crit Chance.

I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of Souls for rerolling though. If that's the case, you're going to have to keep trying to find more, and hopefully find some better gear along the way.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the analysis.

I rerolled sockets, though with only about 8 souls I couldn't get the amount needed, but kept it anyway.

I wanted to know if the thunder gods vigor is any good as well.

And I still haven't found better gear. It seems this monk has a penchant for finding unique weapons (but not Shards of hate Furnace...) I found a handful weapons in one act 1 run + rift, nothing for other slots. I may make a Kadala spending spree to remedy that.
Reply Quote
08/05/2014 10:30 AMPosted by Jotoco
Thanks for the analysis.

I rerolled sockets, though with only about 8 souls I couldn't get the amount needed, but kept it anyway.

I wanted to know if the thunder gods vigor is any good as well.

And I still haven't found better gear. It seems this monk has a penchant for finding unique weapons (but not Shards of hate Furnace...) I found a handful weapons in one act 1 run + rift, nothing for other slots. I may make a Kadala spending spree to remedy that.

Until you get more of a lightning build going, I'm not entirely convinced that I'd take a TGV over that WH you have equipped. Take it for a spin and see if you like it by all means, but I'd personally prefer 7% IAS and 49% CHD over 11% Lighning damage and Vitality (assuming you're trying to re-roll that Vitality to Dexterity on your WH).
Reply Quote
Lightning monk is pretty weak. I have tons of different gear combinations and I am continuing to experiment but...not looking that great as far as T6 is concerned.
Reply Quote
08/05/2014 06:20 PMPosted by reasoned
Lightning monk is pretty weak. I have tons of different gear combinations and I am continuing to experiment but...not looking that great as far as T6 is concerned.

Perfectly viable up to T4 though. Given the gear this guy has (2-piece Born and Caine for example), just getting beyond T2 is probably the goal for the moment so he can more efficiently farm.
Reply Quote
With 2.1 T6 is possible with Depth Diggers but slow going due to still limp wrist DPS. My toon's current gear works more or less.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]