Diablo® III

A softcore player question

Hey guys!!! From what I've heard Hardcore is a lot more enjoyable than SC and the community always helps you out, and so, I've got a question to you.

I'm a SC player but I wanted to try myself in the HC mode. What would you recommend me for a starting class? I always loved Barbarian but he's one of the classes without any "revive" passive skill so I don't think it's safe enough. And when it comes to safety - are you suffering much from server lags or some other factors making survival impossible or if I play reasonably safe I could avoid the problems?
Reply Quote
According to statistics demon hunters die most often on the way to max level while witch doctors die the least, all others are about even.

I haven't played in a while(back for ptr season 3) so I can't give you any specific advice but barb is pretty good, revives aren't really important, the most important is to have an escape(leap, teleport, etc) at all times because the vast majority of deaths will come from either disconnection or from being cornered and an escape takes one of those two out of the equation(at least as long as it's not on cooldown).
Edited by MadCookie#1419 on 8/13/2014 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Carry Wraith of the beserker and use it when in multiple packs or when under severe crowd controlling like frozen etc... Other than that just use your best sense, and becareful.
Reply Quote
Hardcore isn't for everyone because you die for all sorts of reasons that are completely out of your control. Lag and Disconnects have more to do with the player's own internet connection than Blizzard's servers. There is no such thing as a disconnect-proof build. If you disconnect only luck will keep you alive.

Don't play "safe". Play aggressive and smart.

Barbarians may not have a second chance passive but they are still one of the most survivable classes because its so easy to stack defense with them. You shouldn't worry about which class is most survivable. Play what you know and are familiar with and your odds of surviving will increase.
Reply Quote
Every class offers their own HC experience. Just play whatever you enjoy the most. The most important aspect of HC is to have fun! Don't sweat death, it happens everyday :)
Reply Quote
What many of these guys already said =)

I would play what you enjoy most. One option might be to play a little of everything to see what you like best for HC and then start in earnest come season 1.
Reply Quote
08/13/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Bartop
What would you recommend me for a starting class?

WD

Every class offers their own HC experience. Just play whatever you enjoy the most. ...

What many of these guys already said =)

I would play what you enjoy most. ....

^ they all mean WD.

;p
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
When other friends of mine first step into the HC waters, I recommend the Barb, Monk, or Crusader as those classes natively have a 30% damage reduction. It seems to me that does tend to act as buffer for the kinds of early missteps that can happen when a player is not used to the one-life mode of play.

In my own experience, the Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, and Wizard were a bit more of an acquired taste for HC and took more time and patience to build up. Each person’s experience will vary though, and it comes down to your individual style of play. Ultimately, it’s about whatever feels the most fun. If you try a character, but it seems it’s taking a bit long to climb up through Hardcore, I would suggest giving the character a rest and seeing how you fare with an alternate class.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!
Reply Quote
08/13/2014 06:06 PMPosted by Araxom
When other friends of mine first step into the HC waters, I recommend the Barb, Monk, or Crusader as those classes natively have a 30% damage reduction. It seems to me that does tend to act as buffer for the kinds of early missteps that can happen when a player is not used to the one-life mode of play.

In my own experience, the Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, and Wizard were a bit more of an acquired taste for HC and took more time and patience to build up. Each person’s experience will vary though, and it comes down to your individual style of play. Ultimately, it’s about whatever feels the most fun. If you try a character, but it seems it’s taking a bit long to climb up through Hardcore, I would suggest giving the character a rest and seeing how you fare with an alternate class.

I think the melee classes are good simply because you are always taking some damage and thus you gear with taking damage in mind. The ranged classes can avoid damage in many situations in the hands of skilled player. But in hc you actually want to test your mitigation even as a ranged player to make sure you will survive when damage cannot be avoided.

Seasoned hc players know this and test their survival often with all classes. It's a nuance you start to get after playing hc a while. So melee is good for new guys because they are forced to take damage and know when they need to beef their survival before it's too late.
Edited by Jim#1333 on 8/13/2014 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I dont play much HC but imo i think the Crusader is probably the best class to start off with. It does the most dmg out of the 30% red melee classes and it has a passive that saves you from death which is nice. They are also the easiest to gear imo.
Reply Quote

WD is ridiculously overpowered so I guess the OP should start there.

OP, If you like Barb, play Barb. Simple is as simple does, that's my motto.

I play Barb despite the lack of love for the class since Big Brother threw Crusader into the mix.
Reply Quote
Welcome to Diablo's awesome-sauce mode.

As far as what class to pick..?

Go with your favorite. You will die. May as well enjoy the ride as long as you are on it, right?

There is a TON of good advice in this thread. The first several posts are real Hardcore Bread n Butter type of stuff. CyLaNt, Swisha, EO, and Pro know a couple of things XD

For my part, I would echo these things:

-Escape Skills. You needs them. The ability to Leap/Teleport/Vault etc. is worth 10 second-chance passives. Everytime.

-Resist-All. The Godly defensive stat. You do eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, but that doesn't stop me from trying to have 1000-1500 AR on all my toons.

-Play aggressive. If THEY are dead, YOU are not. Not Berserker SC lolz style, but tactically and methodically.

P.S. But seriously, folks... The Witch Doctor. If you have any love for this class, give it a go. Pets, DPS, Spirit Walk AND Spirit Vessel? The Doctor OWNS in Hardcore XD
Reply Quote
Personally for me the most fun build is the jade witch doc. Dh can be fun but since m6 is too strong you will end up focusing on laying down sentries rather than actual shooting for efficiency. Witch doctor is also a relatively safe class. If you prefer to have near 0 chance of dying you can try a holy shotgun crusader but it can get boring.
Reply Quote
When other friends of mine first step into the HC waters, I recommend the Barb, Monk, or Crusader
Have you played hardcore from level 1 recently? Witch Doctor is the strongest class at the moment, followed by the Crusader and then the Demon Hunter. Next are the Barbarian and the Wizard. The Monk should only be used by expert players.

This seems horribly out of date, like advice that made sense right after the Crusader was given the 30% buff. Now, all of this may have changed on the PTR, but in the current live patch, both the Witch Doctor and the Crusader are better introductory classes for hardcore.

To get back to the original poster's question, I'm also going with the Witch Doctor. If you really want a melee character, try the Crusader before the Barbarian.
Reply Quote
Blue doesn't know WD is like cat with 9 lives perfect for HC???

wut?
Reply Quote
08/13/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Bartop
I'm a SC player but I wanted to try myself in the HC mode.

Join us in the dark side <insert spooky breathing noises here>

What would you recommend me for a starting class?
Play what you love. You're going to play it better. If you know the class you're going to know it better. Your skill is worth more than the cheat death passive -- unless you're like me and you have no skill and even less wisdom.

If you don't like that answer then go pet doctor. There's nothing quite as safe as not actually doing the fighting yourself :) WD's are also relatively easy to gear.

And when it comes to safety - are you suffering much from server lags
No. I've never had a lag related death in D3.

or some other factors making survival impossible
Yeah, playing hardcore, solo, and risky. I am my own worst enemy.

or if I play reasonably safe I could avoid the problems?
Sure, gear up for T6 and then fight T1 in full parties until you slit your own wrists in boredom. You can always adjust the risk level via the difficulty setting and your choice of group or solo. "Problems" can always be avoided. Are you sure you want to? The whole reason I play hardcore is for "problems".
Reply Quote
I don't have much HC experience, only 1 lv 60 toon in D3vanilla and never died in HC. From a tactical standpoint, I recommend to have all your cooldown skills available when you first enter a new level/dungeon, as this is the most dangerous chokepoint with nowhere to retreat/backtrack if the entrance can't be reached. In line with this problem, it's usually smart to kill everything in your way so that a nice safe path is open if a retreat is necessary. Good luck.
Reply Quote
Didn't expect that much of a feedback, thanks for all the advices ;]. I think I'll start with Barb eventually and if I die... well... I was always a big fan of ladder resets ;).

Once again, thank you very much for your time!
Edited by Bartop#2558 on 8/14/2014 3:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
In 2.1 I am also going to join the HC club and this thread confirmed for me that I should start a char that I am familiar with, so thanks.

WD it is then as it has been my main since vanilla.
Can't wait to try out the Creeping Death/Bad Medicine/Locust Swarm/Hwoj Wrap combo :-)
Reply Quote
I don't even know why people tend to stick to those "escape death" pssives in HC. As you will certainly do EVERYTHING you can to keep it from triggering I consider it a wasted slot that you want to use for something actually useful.

Some useful hints might be:

- While leveling up just stick to diffuculties you are comfortable with. Whenever you encounter a near death experience and say to yourself "Wow, that was close.. perhaps I should turn difficulty down.." turn down IMMEDIATELY.

- Begin looking for items with allresist when hitting the mid 50s. Yes.. you may well sacrifice those 2% dmg for +50 resist and vita/healing. Especially when playing anything other than "Normal", resistances will get more and more important the closer you get to lvl range 60-70.

- Every single char I leveled up (solo) really seemed to encounter a kind of gear gap between lvl 62 and 66. While getting closer to 66 and before being able to find any "lvl 66 required" items with every level the chars seemed to be more and more undergeared. I've never been too proud to switch back to Normal in that phase.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]