Diablo® III

Follower for Greater Rifts?

1 Gnome Rogue
For those of you progressing in rifts solo, which follower (and skills) did you choose and why?
Edited by epolsen#1714 on 9/2/2014 2:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If I am playing DH, Wiz, or WD when I tend to play as a range attacker so I like to use the Templar. Not the greatest at tanking but he gets the attention of the mobs long enough for my ranger attacker to kill them. Also he as OK buff also just a minor extra.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Rogue
Bump.
Reply Quote
View profile
Been using the templar for the little things I do not care about in gearing....
Reply Quote
im broken between templar with TF and the new gems or scoundrel with WF for strongarm proc and new gems, tough decision lol i do like the templar heals though
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/02/2014 02:50 AMPosted by Stabbinjoo
For those of you progressing in rifts solo, which follower (and skills) did you choose and why?

I lean towards using whatever follower helps in the area I'm struggling with the most, or whatever follower I have the best gear for. For example, I use the Templar if I tend to be resource starved, or the Enchantress if I need crowd control, but I'll use the Scoundrel if I have a sweet Buriza Do Kyanon. I know it's sort of a cheesy answer, but I don't think followers have a definitive answer. Unless you're using double Unity, and then it's all about whatever relic you have that makes your follower invulnerable.
Reply Quote
I use double unity and Enchantress as I need her crowd control everywhere. I have pets to tank including Maximus' demon. It's almost unbeatable by other followers unless the AI is improved significantly.
Reply Quote
If you play hardcore (which I dont cos my isp is terrible and unreliable) , templar is your only option. His heal is almost a "second life" ability.
Reply Quote
Currently running Enchantress to top me over a breakpoint I was close on, and her CC is good. I'm looking to gear my Templar now, though.

I actually like Enchantress best with the All Skills token, but that's not as useful in the current state of Grifts.

My favorite thing to use is Lyndon, but he's underbudget (2h bow/xbow, but no off-hand, while 2h bow/xbow are itemized as 1h for balance reasons) and his skills are unfortunately a little lackluster compared to the others.

The disparity in skills isn't as bad now that the All Skills tokens aren't as valuable on Templar/Enchantress, but I still get better results using her than him. I tried the other day (without giving up a breakpoint), it just wasn't working.

Grim, any chance you guys might let Lyndon use a quiver? I know he couldn't use any of the DH specific stats on it, but it's not like he can use hatred regen on a bow, either. And he's already so limited in the items he can use because there's simply a smaller selection of bows/xbows than melee weaps for the other two. Most of the legendary effects don't even work with him (meanwhile Thunderfury on a templar is hilarious), and he's got few weapons to choose from to begin with. Though perhaps Buriza is all he really needs as far as that >.>

Still, please let him use quivers so he can at least not be down up to 750 dex (1875, really, as he's a follower). With 2h weaps improved, Eirena got a nice boost, and her skills are powerful. With weapon+shield and good skills, Kormac's doin' alright, too. But Lyndon is so much less effective to use.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 9/2/2014 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Templar is the best imo as he can heal you twice. And that comes in handy when your potions are on CD
Reply Quote
Templar. Jailor CD is faster than your potion cool down, and that's not taking into account the thunderstorm, mortar and what not.

Plus:
- His Ess Amulet effect is the most consistent of the 3
- Azurewrath is a very decent CC
- Bul-Kathos wedding band is 2000% per second.
Edited by Wilson#1580 on 9/2/2014 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I use Templar because

- He can tank
- Makes Ess usefull, as Wilson said
- Heals, heals and heals
- Can use Azurewrath (atm have 1.93 aps on him)
- Can use Shield, that allows - although very low chance - a proc
(I have tried Thunderfury as well, but the proc rate is too low)

EDIT: Apart from Immortal Relic, the only stat one should focus on is Attack Speed. The damage of templar is insignificant. We are doing over 600 million dps and he may add 300,000 dps (0,05%). Therefor IMO one should use a 7% ias Unity, a 16% Oculus Ring, 7% ias 80% Ess and 7% Azurewrath.

Scoundrel IMO is utter useless, as he most of the time just stand around and then when a mob gets close shoots once or twice before moving with me and then stand around again.
Edited by Cottonface#1659 on 9/2/2014 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Templar by miles. Grift 35+, his damage contribution is irrelevant. You just want him to freeze and heal. This is how you should gear your Templar. Stack attack speed and CDR.

Templar Relic - Immortal + 100% CHD
Azurewrath - STR, AS and +10% CDR
Oculus ring - reroll to double attack speed 16%
Unity ring - with AS and CDR
Amulet - with AS and CDR and CC. No need to have CHD, already max out by templar relic 100% and base CHD of 50% = 150%
Reply Quote
Why do you want CHD if his damage is irrelevant
Reply Quote
09/02/2014 10:34 PMPosted by myztikrice
Why do you want CHD if his damage is irrelevant

Irrelevant but still nice to have if it does not restrict stats like AS and CDR.
Reply Quote
templar cause he brings me the most magicfind due to gear
Reply Quote
Templar, for the snare.
Reply Quote
If I'm not using the Enchantress to hit a breakpoint my vote is for the Templar. Those heals are way too useful especially in the higher rifts where Jailer/Thunderstorm damage start to come faster than your evasion cooldowns can cope with, and up in melee is where you want a follower to be distracting mobs and laying down crowd control.

I'm kinda lazy to really min/max his stats though, but some follower items are too obvious to miss out on, weapons like Azurewrath, Ess of Johan for the pull, BK Wedding Band for the drain and of course Unity + unkillable trinket if you're running that.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 9/3/2014 2:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
My mind ain't always in the game anymore, especially moreso from having switched modes. I keep forgetting to even use my follower when playing on Trent; followers don't even have gear on that DHs loadout.
Reply Quote
09/02/2014 10:30 PMPosted by Cameo
Templar by miles. Grift 35+, his damage contribution is irrelevant. You just want him to freeze and heal. This is how you should gear your Templar. Stack attack speed and CDR.

Templar Relic - Immortal + 100% CHD
Azurewrath - STR, AS and +10% CDR
Oculus ring - reroll to double attack speed 16%
Unity ring - with AS and CDR
Amulet - with AS and CDR and CC. No need to have CHD, already max out by templar relic 100% and base CHD of 50% = 150%

I mostly agree with this, though I think CDR is top priority where it is possible, hence on all jewelry (if you can also get IAS there, it is fine of course) and the weapon. I reduced the CD of both heals to 22s which is great. Also, ess of johan is the best amulet, because it rolls with CDR and has a great legendary effect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]