Diablo® III

Upcoming Hotfixes: Disabled Event Bounties

Community Manager
Update: Friday, September 5

This hotfix is now live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings, nephalem!

One of our ongoing goals for Diablo III (and Seasons in particular) is to promote diversity in play styles and encourage a variety of experience whenever possible. In line with this goal, and as a direct result of your feedback from Season 1, we're in the process of implementing a series of hotfixes that will temporarily disable the following events as eligible bounties:

• The Matriarch's Bones
  • The Jar of Souls
  • The Miser's Will
  • A Miner's Gold

This change will apply to both Seasonal and non-Seasonal games. Additionally, please note that these hotfixes will only remove the above events from the active bounty pool, not the game itself. The events can still spawn in-game and will provide rewards as normal.

We don't have an ETA at this time for when these events will be re-added to the bounty pool, but are working to have them available for Season 2.

Looking Forward:

In Season 1, many players were able to quickly level their heroes and earn a coveted rank on the "Race to the Top" leaderboard exclusively by running the bounties in question. While we won't be removing any Conquest credit or ranking from players who chose to use this particular technique, we will be making changes to these bounties for future Seasons. The desire here is to help promote an environment where the most efficient way to play is also the most varied (and ideally the most fun too). With this, one of our goals for Seasonal Conquests is to encourage players to try out different tactics and explore different play styles, so we will be evaluating all Season 1 Conquests with that goal in mind and making changes for Season 2 as needed.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We'll continue to grow and improve Diablo III with your support, so please keep posting! In the meantime, we wish you glory and good fortune in Season 1, and good luck to those still racing for a spot on our current Conquest leaderboards.

See you in Sanctuary!
Edited by Lylirra on 9/10/2014 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And why is this being applied to non-seasons?
Reply Quote
what
Reply Quote
So since I'm late to the party on speed leveling I can't do it? I was hoping to do this after test running it last night on my new Barbarian... :(
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/03/2014 06:00 PMPosted by Hawkeye

Same reason. The way the events play out as bounties right now doesn't really align with and/or support our design goals, or what we'd like the game experience to be (not just for Seasons, but the game as a whole). In general, we'd prefer not to have the most efficient way to level up to 70 be running same 1-4 bounties that only require you to move around, stay alive, and not actually kill any threats over and over again. Ideally, we'd like the most efficient way to play to also be the most varied (and hopefully the most fun too). While this technique was used to level in Season 1, that gameplay exists in both Seasonal and non-Seasonal games.

In a future patch, we hope to return these bounties to the active pool (for everyone, Season and non-Season alike) in a form that involves the kind of demon murder we know and love. In the meantime, since these changes can't be hotfixed in, the bounty themselves have been disabled.

edits for clarity
Edited by Lylirra on 9/3/2014 10:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 06:06 PMPosted by Legend
So since I'm late to the party on speed leveling I can't do it? I was hoping to do this after test running it last night on my new Barbarian... :(

My thoughts exactly.
Reply Quote
Couldn't you have forseen this and fixed it before? Wasn't loads of players using it on the PTR?
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 06:00 PMPosted by Hawkeye

Indeed, good question.

It's a problem that arose during Season 1 because some lazy players around wanted their achievement(s) at light speed. Ok, well the damage is done now. There's no such achievements to rush for in non-Season, however. Also that change comes from a direct result from Season 1 feedback, not non-Season feedback. So... yeah, why applying that change to non-Season exactly?
Reply Quote
Same reason. They don't really align with and/or support our design goals (not just for Seasons, but the game as a whole).

09/03/2014 05:57 PMPosted by Lylirra
In Season 1, many players were able to quickly level their heroes and earn a coveted rank on the "Race to the Top" leaderboard exclusively by running the bounties in question.

And you see no contradiction between your two statements there?
Reply Quote
So... what's your design philosophy behind the PTR implementation?
Why wasn't feedback concerning these bounties address PRIOR to the official release of 2.1?
Why were complaints about xp/leveling on Adventure Mode and/or Bounties in general address in the myriad of threads?

This was never hidden knowledge. Any casual forum viewer could easily locate it.

What was the point of having test seasons on the PTR, again? In fact, what's the point of the PTR if valuable feedback such as the bounty "exploits" weren't addressed until 2.1 went live?
Reply Quote
i think the only problem is just why is adventure mode available at the beginning of a season??... i think everyone is starting from point zero ... so just fix that everyone has to get through campaign mode to get to adventure mode ... easy problem solved :-)
Reply Quote
No offense but the game doesn't truly start until level 70, so getting there fast and blazing through the low levels is to keep people interested. I'd rather grind the same quest for 3-4 hours then play however I want the rest of the season. This proposed way we are being forced to grind the end game with no chance for any reward because even if you get legs they are completely pointless when you get to level 70.
Reply Quote
Just to be clear, as I'm not one to understand policy-talk well, the "structure" that you're not satisfied with concerning these bounties is actually "experience" and to a lesser extent, "gold received upon completion"?

The explanation is a little vague. I assume you (blizzard) are not removing or altering the design of the events? Like, Jar of Souls isn't being changed to just break the jar and kill a rift boss, right?
Reply Quote
better late than never, but too bad most of the damage is already done at this point.
Reply Quote
Can you give more details about "align with and/or support our design goals (not just for Seasons, but the game as a whole)." It is very vague and doesn't provide of us with information, that would help us understand better what these "goals" are. I understand that you want to make seasons a fair playing field but non season characters shouldn't be punished for it. Like some have already said, the damage is done.

I would also like to address this too.

"The desire here is to help promote an environment where the most efficient way to play is also the most varied (and ideally the most fun too). With this, one of our goals for Seasonal Conquests is to encourage players to try out different tactics and explore different play styles"

With conquests such as "Race to the top" Do you really think something like that is fair for everyone? Just imagine heading to a race and because your competition got there early they were allowed to start early. I think it is a good idea but the lack of effort with conquests like that shows how enthusiastic you really are about the game. If you want us to tackle these in unique and interesting ways and trying different play styles, then create something that forces us to do this.

Conquests should be activities that regardless of player or torment level should be able to be done by everyone at anytime. The only difference is they are challenging to do. So when other players see those people immortalized on the boards they ask "HOW!!!??? O_o" instead of saying" wish i had time to grind gear or attain X level to do something like that"

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying Seasons. I don't really care for leader boards it's something new and everyone likes something new.

P.S. Since you are in the neighborhood of disabling bounties would you mind disabling Kill the spider queen and Kill adria? Please and thank you. If not then can you at least provide me with a GPS system that prevents me from wandering aimlessly to find them.
Edited by Cinic#1831 on 9/3/2014 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 06:12 PMPosted by CyberGoat
So... what's your design philosophy behind the PTR implementation?
Why wasn't feedback concerning these bounties address PRIOR to the official release of 2.1?
Why were complaints about xp/leveling on Adventure Mode and/or Bounties in general address in the myriad of threads?

This was never hidden knowledge. Any casual forum viewer could easily locate it.

What was the point of having test seasons on the PTR, again? In fact, what's the point of the PTR if valuable feedback such as the bounty "exploits" weren't addressed until 2.1 went live?
Anybody that has been around here long enough knows that PTR feedback is useless in large part. Let that be lesson to you when the next PTR hits the servers.
Cheers!
Reply Quote
The goal should be pretty obvious to anyone who has been around since the beginning. Get rid of power leveling with little effort.

Just look at all the previous nerfs to exp gain on easy to repeat quests like Azmodan.
Reply Quote
Hi Lylirra, since some bounty that can be exploited already removed, can you check and add some event and some unique monster kill to the bounty pool? this event is missing since ROS come out and i never can find it until now for example Tollifer's Last Stand event in westmarch common.

some people from EU forum already publish the masterlist from the event and unique monster kill that missing from the bounty:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkaORTOkm6csdG9WSHkyTEJTN0liV2NwMXgwYmhzOWc
Reply Quote
Blizzard hotfixing an issue after all the leaders and exploiters have multiple 70s. Grats on finally fixing an issue that was posted on the PTR forums months ago, and ignored, then implemented in 2.1, and ignored, until 45 minutes ago when you guys finally decided to do something about it after all the damage has been done.

Superb work dev team. Let you never wonder why this game is in such an abysmal state.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]