Diablo® III

Current Monk Information

Monk is definitely my first play through choice right now. Can't wait to see what kind of staves get up in the late game :-D.
Reply Quote
08/24/2011 12:19 AMPosted by SoliD
The monk looks like a souped-up version of a martial arts assassin.

It's essentially an Assassin / Paladin hybrid. Everything is better with auras. :D

Yes please
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
i like the combo system that the monks have where you build up your attacks and then have to choose the right time to execute the last
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Monks are looking really good at the moment. Can't wait for the game to come out and give them a go!
Reply Quote
talking to some gamers that tried all classes, they said Monk was OP but it was also the hardest to play. I think that is a great combo, and look forward to playing the monk! They said Monk was not for new mmorpg-ers.
Reply Quote
MVP
08/25/2011 02:19 PMPosted by Furionstorm
i like the combo system that the monks have where you build up your attacks and then have to choose the right time to execute the last

Yeah, I really like the Combo system. It's one of the perfect examples of Blizzard's "easy to learn, hard to master" approach for this game, ;).
100 Orc Rogue
Near Death Experience: (Requires Level 25) - When the Monk receives a fatal blow, the Monk gains 30% HP and 30% Spirit

No one else sees this as being a "little bit" OP in hardcore....?

I think you should give barbs:
I'm a Freakin Barb: (Requires Level 32) - When the Barbarian receives a fatal blow, the Barbarian instantly counters the blow, stopping 100% of the damage and dealing a reverse fatal attack to the enemy and instantly healing for 100% of the damage dealt.

The animation could be the barb grabbing the enemy by the lower jaw and skull, and violently ripping them apart.

Of course you'd need to put it on a 15sec cooldown or so, or it might be considered a "little bit" OP.

....Only fair.... :)
Edited by Jashinkyo on 8/27/2011 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
lolz...i'm a barb bruh...i'm a barb!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
katars, staves, fists, claws.. maybe kunai...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Passives (Subject to change)

• Frenzied Attack: (Requires Level 13) - When wielding two weapons, the Monk has 20% increased critical strike chance and 30% increased critical strike damage.

• Superior Skill: (Requires Level 15) - Increases precision by 20%.

• Weak Spot: (Requires Level 20) - Increases critical strike damage by 100%.

• So this is clearly pre-emptive, but it seems to me that for a pure damage build a crit focused monk is the way to go, in large part because there's only a handful of non-situational damage increasing traits otherwise.

Note that at low levels it's probably worth less, but once you start getting higher gear levels you can afford to really focus on +crit/precision and +crit damage gear.

Some quick assumptions here: I've heard that at base level the bonus damage on a critical hit is 50%. Let's assume crit damage is multiplicative like it is in WoW.

50%+(100%)+(20%)
    =100%+(20%)
    =120% damage on a crit from traits alone. (170% if we assume it's additive, but I think that's unlikely).

Now, there's a screen shot floating around of a 2 handed barbarian weapon with +30% crit damage on it, so it's not unreasonable to assume we will be able to get AT LEAST +30% crit damage from gear (probably much more, but I'll play it safe).

120%+(30%)
    =156%

So at this point with some moderate assumptions we will be dealing +156% additional damage on a crit (or 256% of base damage).

So let's make a silly assumption here just to emphasize how big a number 156% extra damage on a crit is:
    Let's assume we're starting with 0 crit rating - we never crit, ever for some silly reason.

Now we get a piece of gear with exactly 1% worth of crit rating on it. That's a full 1.56% average damage increase.

Now, from traits alone we get 20% crit chance, we'll probably have something like 5% base line and since we're focusing on crit/precision gear I think it's pretty safe to assume we can get AT MINIMUM 25% crit rating from gear (again, assuming we're going for crit all the way).

If each point of crit is worth about 1.56% increase damage from baseline and we can push 50% crit in high end gear - that's (50x1.56=78) a 78% increase in average damage with no conditions other than being spikey/slightly random.

And that's assuming we can only get 30% additional crit damage from gear, which seems pretty unlikely to me given that we've seen 1 item which gives 30% additional crit damage ON IT'S OWN. I find it much more likely that we'll probably be able to push our crit damage up to 230-250%, which makes each percentage of crit worth 2.3-2.5% of our baseline damage.

At lower gear levels it'll probably be safer to go with a straight attack / conditional trait build but crit and +crit damage scale AMAZINGLY well together.

Reply Quote
    85 Troll Shaman
    Near Death Experience: (Requires Level 25) - When the Monk receives a fatal blow, the Monk gains 30% HP and 30% Spirit

they will most likely add an internal cooldown on this like 2 minutes or somthing. its like a last stand. When this happends, run to a health globe :P
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Rogue

they will most likely add an internal cooldown on this like 2 minutes or somthing. its like a last stand. When this happends, run to a health globe :P

Well of course it would have a CD or that would mean monks would be unkillable.... What I am saying is, don't you see this as being a bit overpowered and unfair that monks get a passive skill that allows them to cheat death, EVEN if its on a 10min cooldown, when playing hardcore most players would just afk for 10mins or go back to doing trivial things till the cooldown is up... The fact that they are the only class that can cheat death is pretty OP if you think about it from a hardcore player point of view....
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Death Knight

Well of course it would have a CD or that would mean monks would be unkillable.... What I am saying is, don't you see this as being a bit overpowered and unfair that monks get a passive skill that allows them to cheat death, EVEN if its on a 10min cooldown, when playing hardcore most players would just afk for 10mins or go back to doing trivial things till the cooldown is up... The fact that they are the only class that can cheat death is pretty OP if you think about it from a hardcore player point of view....

Just because they get healed back to 30% from the ability after a would be fatal blow doesn't mean that they are still going to be able to necessarily survive the encounter. They could easily drop dead right after.
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Rogue

Just because they get healed back to 30% from the ability after a would be fatal blow doesn't mean that they are still going to be able to necessarily survive the encounter. They could easily drop dead right after.

That is true, but I still see it as being highly unfair that they are the only ones with a sort of cheat death passive.

I would see most monks in hardcore stacking really high HP, which in turn would make the 30% from the passive ability a pretty hefty amount. Allowing them to, once proc'd, to ether leave the game, or retreat easily within the amount of time... Which isn't what the problem I see... The problem I see is the fact that they are the only ones with this sort of passive, and in hardcore that is a bit redic.
    Reply Quote
    86 Human Mage
    This was the class I knew i'd be the moment i saw it
    Reply Quote
    Looks like no one can really argue with the OP.

But the monk also has Sanctuary, a move making him take no damage for a while.. another good escape move.
    Reply Quote
    08/24/2011 07:46 AMPosted by Coscette
    what I'm not understanding is why have Dash as the Monks mobility move when you can just dash for free (even though a shorter distance) with the first part of WoHF?

My guess is that dash comes in at level 6 whereas WoHF is at level 21. In combat, closing distance is absolutely imperative. A good combat Monk will probably either use dash to cover distance before graduating to the higher level WoHF or will use the two in tandem to ensure he or she has a maximized set of combat options.
    Edited by XDAstyanax on 9/9/2011 9:25 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Tauren Druid

That is true, but I still see it as being highly unfair that they are the only ones with a sort of cheat death passive.

I would see most monks in hardcore stacking really high HP, which in turn would make the 30% from the passive ability a pretty hefty amount. Allowing them to, once proc'd, to ether leave the game, or retreat easily within the amount of time... Which isn't what the problem I see... The problem I see is the fact that they are the only ones with this sort of passive, and in hardcore that is a bit redic.

Just think of it as the monk having 30% more health and spirit than it looks like in their globes. The initial amount is simply hidden initially. You could then look at is as "outside of the cool down, a monk only has 70% of their health and spirit accessible". This perspective then makes it look like a detriment rather than a OP monk-only skill.

Don't forget that the barbarian (the other melee class) basically has more health/defense than the monk. Taking that into account, the survivability rate is probably a lot closer. And you wouldn't consider the barb to be OP simply because they can block/soak more damage.
    Reply Quote
    08/24/2011 12:19 AMPosted by SoliD
    The monk looks like a souped-up version of a martial arts assassin.

It's essentially an Assassin / Paladin hybrid. Everything is better with auras. :D

I agree, but I'd also like to add that the Monk doesn't look boring as hell like martial arts assassins are.
    Reply Quote
    i see alot of post that were thought around world of warcraft. this is diablo and not an mmo.
    so dont even think about balance in here. if the monk gets his passive to cheat death, then he gets it and theres no barb thats gonna cry over it.
    monk dosent get a passive like "tough as iron" wich gets your barb's amor value + 100 %

this monk class is going to be my inferno farmer for sure.
    Edited by MonkForTwny on 9/21/2011 8:53 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]