Diablo® III

Current Monk Information

I am going to love playing is the Monk, it really is a great class and totally different than what I thought the "wild card" classes were going to be. How many times do get to perform a flying kick into a Hoardling's face and then proceed to banish the foes circling around you with one fell swoop of your mystical staff in a matter of 1-2 seconds at most?

You will definitely find me kicking !@# with this class!
Reply Quote
What was the monks pvp skills and passives at blizzcon?

Were they similar to these? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#RcjdSY!bYe!bYcYZc
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I am not sure what they were like at blizzcon
Reply Quote
I just wanted to note that a lot of this data is VERY out of date. Check the Game Guide for more up to date information on Monk Skills.

For up to date info on Monk Combos see this thread here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038703917
Edited by Lusus on 2/8/2012 8:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
hope this is the right place to be asking this question.

I noticed that when the monk has a daibo equipped, the animation still looks like he is using his fists when i use the skills. but when i use a basic attack he uses the daibo... is it supposed to be like that? it just seems kinda weird to carry around this awesome looking weapon just to "put it away" whenever you attack... anyone else notice that?

p.s.
not trying to be nit picky. blizzard still rocks. :)
Reply Quote

I noticed that when the monk has a daibo equipped, the animation still looks like he is using his fists when i use the skills. but when i use a basic attack he uses the daibo... is it supposed to be like that? it just seems kinda weird to carry around this awesome looking weapon just to "put it away" whenever you attack... anyone else notice that?

p.s.

No it is working as intended. The lore for the monk and the feel for the monk all points towards fist and martial art based attacks and defense.

So the animations have been adjusted to do just that. Shows fist and martial arts.

Im happy that there is no axe weilding monk animations because it wouldn't feel right for a monk to be using weapons for fist based attacks.
Reply Quote

p.s.

No it is working as intended. The lore for the monk and the feel for the monk all points towards fist and martial art based attacks and defense.

So the animations have been adjusted to do just that. Shows fist and martial arts.

Im happy that there is no axe weilding monk animations because it wouldn't feel right for a monk to be using weapons for fist based attacks.

If it is working as intended than the Monk should never carry the staff in his hands and it should remain on his back. No good designer would purposefully have you carry a staff weapon that teleports to your back while you punch and then immediately back in to your hands again afterward. I'm guessing it is animation bug or they simply haven't finished staff animations yet. If it really is working as intended than it is a massive oversight in animation detail and I would be very disappointed in Blizzard for letting that slide.

EDIT: Well I just took a look around and wasn't aware that so many people are also complaining about this issue and from what I can tell, yes, it is working as intended. Some sources show that there are staff animations as well but for all other weapons they dont? Well whatever... I just hope they have full Staff animations because if they don't it's just sad cutting of corners... understandable if they don't have animations for other non monk-like weapon types.
Edited by Ahgama on 3/21/2012 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Ahgama

With the default attack there are animations for all weapon types. But when using the Monk skills they default to the skill animation. Which i know i am fine with. It wouldn't seem right to have a monk wielding a staff, then to use 100 fist and you see him just flailing around the staff like a mad man. lol

I like how the feel of the monk is martial arts and is using his fist.

Now the fact that fist weapons even disappear seems a little off. Those should at least stay on the hands while your punching but this could have been the discussion.

"We want the Monk to fit and feel like a martial artist and to use his fist. With that said, lets not worry about all the different weapon annimations that would go with his skills, this way we can keep the Monk feel of fighting consistent."

"What about fist weapons? Could we find an animation for those?"

"Well, we could, but if we are deciding to not show any weapons for the skill animations, then why would we work to create it for just 1 weapon type? Its all or nothing, otherwise the community may wonder why we could do it for Fist weapons but not anything else. We have to remain consistent otherwise things could go south."

"Alright, we'll get on it then. Go team Venture!" ( .")/*clap*\(". )

Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
Monk was my first run-through character...definitely enjoyed the class with the skills available...I did notice standard weapons including sword, axe, shield, and knuckle...are there going to be more claw/knuckle type weapons for the monk or is that too much like the assassin class from previous game?
Reply Quote
04/01/2012 03:01 AMPosted by Nachttoter
Monk was my first run-through character...definitely enjoyed the class with the skills available...I did notice standard weapons including sword, axe, shield, and knuckle...are there going to be more claw/knuckle type weapons for the monk or is that too much like the assassin class from previous game?

When looking at the items on the website.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/fist-weapon/

There seems to be a nice variety. I am looking forward to seeing the stats on the higher level ones.
Reply Quote
Now that piece of lore... Really made my mind up.

I'm playing as Demon Hunter.

(Jking lol, obviously I'm a Monk.)
Reply Quote
5 Troll Rogue
XP
Have to admit my group of friends I'm playing with will never play the monk and I'm the only one that wants too. I'm perfectly fine with that more monk love for me!!!! Plus they will miss out hahaha
Reply Quote
04/16/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Sneakypoofjr
Have to admit my group of friends I'm playing with will never play the monk and I'm the only one that wants too. I'm perfectly fine with that more monk love for me!!!! Plus they will miss out hahaha

They may change their minds once they see how much survival you will have come Inferno while they struggle to stay alive.
Reply Quote
Monks unite!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
cool
Reply Quote
Fun weekend.

Happy to see some of you online who are also on these forums pretty regularly. We are nearing the end of BETA. But we are getting that much closer to release so that is exciting.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
Noticed my beta invite from the 13th -.- today after the end of the beta :/ definitely want to make a monk first

Also the fist animations would be nice.. but if the monk were using them in the animations http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/scarbringer would be a bunch of stabbing lol imagine how the hundred punches would feel
Edited by DeathGenie#1237 on 5/5/2012 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard has stated now that in a latter patch they will try to bring in some of the weapons into our animations. I even think they have fixed a few ready for release.

It was good news to hear, that's for sure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]