Diablo® III

No Internet = No diablo 3? (Part 3)

how important is ping in single player? Because mobile broadband has bad ping.
08/24/2011 01:55 PMPosted by Nico
how important is ping in single player? Because mobile broadband has bad ping.

You will not be able to play with bad ping even in single player...just like Wow

Understanding this is an ARPG as well lag/framerate play such a huge role...with anything over 200 ms you will probably have a really poor game experience...
08/24/2011 02:14 PMPosted by Melkor
zzzz. Anoying. Get over it, everyone has internet now.

Not true you are an idiot

As I have said before people need to stop commenting this
I really don't understand the argument, if you are on the forums you obviously have internet access. Just play in a game with a password by yourself if that's your thing, I did it all the time in D2.
08/24/2011 02:28 PMPosted by Tofu
I really don't understand the argument, if you are on the forums you obviously have internet access. Just play in a game with a password by yourself if that's your thing, I did it all the time in D2.

I live in Zambia, my connection is intermittent at best and in WoW I have over 1.2k MS yes I have internet Yes I am connected hells no i cannot play any game online...
100 Tauren Druid
wow wall of test. Thumbs down
85 Troll Priest
The reasoning is all well and good but they have built the game on the client and server archetype so it really won't work any other way. You'd have to sort of... host your own server or something. Then you really wouldn't be a part of any community, not even a single player one.
After all this time, I can almost believe that Aeox is serious instead of trolling. But there's just one easy answer. It's been clearly stated by blizzard, it's widely supported among the community, and fortunately, while there are some dissenters, blizzard has gone ahead and made their mind up in favor of security.

Security, cheating, hacking, etc.. were absolutely rampant in D1 and D2. Even on the realms and ladders, the game was absolutely hacked to pieces by cheaters, and blizzard was running around trying to patch things up. Having an offline single player mode would mean that blizzard has to provide the user with 100% of the game content, mechanics, and code. That is everything they need to reverse engineer the game and figure out how to exploit things. What is so hard to believe about that? If blizzard said you can only play this game with one hand tied behind your back, because that's the only way we can keep cheating out of it, then I'd be first in line at the handcuff store!

If everyone was honest, making offline play available would be win, win! In fact, I EXCLUSIVELY played offline in D2 because of the lag on battle.net. But I can feel good about the decision not to provide offline play because:
1. I'm confident the network code will be MUCH better than D2 was.
2. I'm confident that this time (thanks to this decision), Blizzard will finally be able to limit cheating and hacking to an acceptable level.
08/24/2011 01:49 PMPosted by Aeox
Oh man, I really was hoping this thread would stay where it was... my escape celebration was premature I think.

Sorry to disapoint

I'm more disappointed in the lack of anything better to talk about than the actual argument itself. It just makes me tired.
The only reason I quit playing Diablo 2 was because of the multitude of hacks. PvP became impossible as anyone could hack items and just own everyone else. Not to mention all the fake SOJ's and all that crap. Online only is probably the best way to combat hacking the game.

The thing is, people who want to play offline and single player don't seem to understand this because they didn't have to deal with all the hacks and crap because they weren't online.

Hacks RUIN this game.
After all this time, I can almost believe that Aeox is serious instead of trolling. But there's just one easy answer. It's been clearly stated by blizzard, it's widely supported among the community, and fortunately, while there are some dissenters, blizzard has gone ahead and made their mind up in favor of security.

Security, cheating, hacking, etc.. were absolutely rampant in D1 and D2. Even on the realms and ladders, the game was absolutely hacked to pieces by cheaters, and blizzard was running around trying to patch things up. Having an offline single player mode would mean that blizzard has to provide the user with 100% of the game content, mechanics, and code. That is everything they need to reverse engineer the game and figure out how to exploit things. What is so hard to believe about that? If blizzard said you can only play this game with one hand tied behind your back, because that's the only way we can keep cheating out of it, then I'd be first in line at the handcuff store!

If everyone was honest, making offline play available would be win, win! In fact, I EXCLUSIVELY played offline in D2 because of the lag on battle.net. But I can feel good about the decision not to provide offline play because:
1. I'm confident the network code will be MUCH better than D2 was.
2. I'm confident that this time (thanks to this decision), Blizzard will finally be able to limit cheating and hacking to an acceptable level.

I am serious, you make every valid point and it is understandable, I have stated various times how I understand Blizzard's intentions completely and whole heartily agree with them (apart from Jay telling me that people got upset when they couldnt play a single player character online)

You mention that you played D2 solely offline because you experienced lag within the game, are you not afraid that you are still going to lag within D3? even the minute amount of lag within an ARPG while completely diminish the gameplay experience...with the speed of how events happen and the way that everything needs to be tight i do believe anything over 200 ms is going to ruin this game for many people...
The only reason I quit playing Diablo 2 was because of the multitude of hacks. PvP became impossible as anyone could hack items and just own everyone else. Not to mention all the fake SOJ's and all that crap. Online only is probably the best way to combat hacking the game.

The thing is, people who want to play offline and single player don't seem to understand this because they didn't have to deal with all the hacks and crap because they weren't online.

Hacks RUIN this game.

I played D2 online for about 4 ladder seasons, I never hacked nor duped yet whenever I played in the season there was always the few obvious people that were hackers running the community (Matrony back then) however even with all that I still enjoyed playing the ladder seasons. People are talking about hack/dupes/cheats as if they were SO rampant everywhere in Diablo II, they were there yes but in now way did it ruin my PvP experience/trading experience if not it made it more interesting...the only thing that pissed me off were Bots entering every game and spamming...I do believe Blizzards new Battle.net 2.0 however will stop all bots and would stop hacking/duping even if we had all the information client side...can you imagine if someone duped gems it would be so easy for Blizzard to notice that person is cheating with all the new achievements/stat logs etc.
85 Night Elf Hunter
People need to accept that Diablo 3 is NOT a single player game anymore. The game was designed to be played online. It's not D2, stop treating it like D2. And i understand the argument that you cannot have the game be offline and not compromise the security of the game in a huge way due to having server side files be on the hosts machine. If hackers can examine that data it will make it much easier for them to inject their duped items into the online world.

The game will still be troubled by bots and gold farmers I'm sure, that's just the nature of online gaming in general. But if they allowed the server file architecture to be seen by the hackers due to an offline mode it would be MUCH MUCH worse. And with the addition of the RMAH, this cannot happen. If your someone with a shoddy internet connection or you live out in the sticks, sucks but your minority here.

This will likely be like any other whiny complaint that goes against blizzard, when the game comes out it'll be a forgotten issue, most people are just blowing smoke anyway and are gonna buy the game cause well, they love diablo.
zzzz. Anoying. Get over it, everyone has internet now.
Edited by Damouse on 8/24/2011 3:14 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Priest
Yea but not EVERYONE! have high speed line so what about them and not every one has internet so idk sounds kinda of lame on blizz part
Edited by Cybellena on 8/24/2011 3:14 PM PDT

This will likely be like any other whiny complaint that goes against blizzard, when the game comes out it'll be a forgotten issue, most people are just blowing smoke anyway and are gonna buy the game cause well, they love diablo.

I love Diablo, I think the game looks AMAZING but I cannot physically play the game this goes to all my other comrades out in South America, Africa and Australia...so as much as I am in love and have waited patiently for this game to not be able to play it makes me want to cry...

I just thought Blizzard of all companies would be capable of innovating this area and create something for all the Franchises fans
08/24/2011 03:18 PMPosted by Lomak
Im getting pissed off with people saying this day an age everyone is connected etc. etc. etc. We don't all live in first world countries or close to the servers...around 30% of Diablo II fans are going to suffer because of this implementation. Either suffer from poor gameplay due to latency issues or no gameplay at all...I am trying to voice mine and their problems. I cant play a game I have been avidly waiting for for 12 years...I will try my best to be able to play it...

You have a problem with it that's fine. Sure, there are probably like minded people out there, but keep in mind that the only person YOU speak for is YOURSELF.

Thank you, and good luck with your futile complaints.

No I speak for everyone else that filled out the 26 pages of the first thread and the 10 pages of the second thread...I speak for everyone that wants offline play as long as it doesn't ruin the integrity of the game...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]