Diablo® III

No Internet = No diablo 3? (Part 3)

08/24/2011 03:03 PMPosted by Aeox
You mention that you played D2 solely offline because you experienced lag within the game, are you not afraid that you are still going to lag within D3? even the minute amount of lag within an ARPG while completely diminish the gameplay experience...with the speed of how events happen and the way that everything needs to be tight i do believe anything over 200 ms is going to ruin this game for many people...

Not concerned in the least! I have played WoW from beta to Cataclysm and dealt with lag issues about as many times as I can count on my fingers. It was infrequent enough that it was fairly entertaining when it would happen (come on, I know I'm not the only one that fraps'd a video of their char running around still in the looting position). I think your estimate of 200ms and your overall concern shows a serious lack of faith, bro! D2 was laggy as heck, I'll agree with you there, but that was what, like 2000? You gotta appreciate how old that game is. Other things happening in 2000:

US adoption of broadband internet: 6%
Ipod was still a year away from release, general public had no idea what an mp3 was
YouTube is invented
windows xp was still a year away!
everyone is just starting to get cell phones
Radeon vid cards are released!

Come on, this is old crap, what you think the diablo 2 networking code looked like??
90 Draenei Paladin
More secure online-experience > unsecure online-experience + the ability for a few thousand nerds to play Diablo III when their internet goes down for a few hours.

More secure online experience ---> more sales for Blizzard due to a much higher quality game ---> more longevity for the Diablo series ---> more support for Diablo III ---> even better play experience for D3 and future titles --> enter endless loop.

Blizzard does not cater to people without electricity. Why? Because a Diablo board game or a Diablo Nintendo DS game would be boring as hell compared to the computer version they are soon to release.

On the same token, Blizzard does not cater to people without internet. Why? Because in this day and age, games like Diablo III - which are designed to be played in groups and in social settings - are absolutely terrible if they have an offline component, decreasing the security of the online game and worsening the play experience of millions.

No, Blizzard will not and should not release an offline-only version of Diablo III. Asking them to do so is like asking Blizzard to release an offline-only version of WoW. Offline modes greatly compromise the online game experience for the vast, vast majority of their players. The few thousand people who buy the games for offline play would NOT be worth unleashing the headache that is poor security, hacks, cheats, lack of support, piracy, botting, and everything else that having an offline mode heavily contributes to.

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of the game, don't buy it. It's not meant to be a personal insult to you - it's a simple business/"common sense" decision made by Blizzard, and you should expect it to be the norm for all future games.
Edited by Eloderung on 8/24/2011 3:40 PM PDT
What stops Blizzard from deleting all of the items off of a character being transferred from single player to multiplayer? Seriously, I wonder if Blizzard even realizes it can do this. For those that are worried about pirating, trust me, it will happen anyway, regardless of a required internet connection or not.

Also...

Didn't something like this happen awhile about? Like last year or so?

It was for a game that everyone thought would do super bad because it didn't have LAN support...

I think it is the number one Esport of all time...

Ah whatever, I'll think of it later.

Have you ever seen a Starcraft 2 tournament live? Some games lose connection to the server, and, if know how competitive games work, it's a tragedy that such a prestigious game doesn't have something so simple to implement. A LAN connection will reduce that number to zero.
Edited by JonTheBon on 8/24/2011 3:34 PM PDT
More secure online-experience > unsecure online-experience + the ability for a few thousand nerds to play Diablo III when their internet goes down for a few hours.

More secure online experience ---> more sales for Blizzard due to a much higher quality game ---> more longevity for the Diablo series ---> more support for Diablo III ---> even better play experience for D3 and future titles --> enter endless loop.

Blizzard does not cater to people without electricity. Why? Because a Diablo board game or a Diablo Nintendo DS game would be boring as hell compared to the computer version they are soon to release.

On the same token, Blizzard does not cater to people without internet. Why? Because in this day and age, games like Diablo III - which are designed to be played in groups and in social settings - are absolutely terrible if they have an offline component, decreasing the security of the online game and worsening the play experience of millions.

No, Blizzard will not and should not release an offline-only version of Diablo III. Asking them to do so is like asking Blizzard to release an offline-only version of WoW. Offline modes greatly compromise the online game experience for the vast, vast majority of their players. The few thousand people who buy the games for offline play would NOT be worth unleashing the headache that is poor security, hacks, cheats, lack of support, piracy, botting, and everything else that having an offline mode heavily contributes to.

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of the game, don't buy it. If you can afford a gaming computer - especially in a third-world country where such equipment is extremely pricey and only available to the top .000001% of the population - then you definitely have the means and capability of obtaining sufficient internet access.

Oh no it's you again...
08/24/2011 03:30 PMPosted by ctb
You mention that you played D2 solely offline because you experienced lag within the game, are you not afraid that you are still going to lag within D3? even the minute amount of lag within an ARPG while completely diminish the gameplay experience...with the speed of how events happen and the way that everything needs to be tight i do believe anything over 200 ms is going to ruin this game for many people...

Not concerned in the least! I have played WoW from beta to Cataclysm and dealt with lag issues about as many times as I can count on my fingers. It was infrequent enough that it was fairly entertaining when it would happen (come on, I know I'm not the only one that fraps'd a video of their char running around still in the looting position). I think your estimate of 200ms and your overall concern shows a serious lack of faith, bro! D2 was laggy as heck, I'll agree with you there, but that was what, like 2000? You gotta appreciate how old that game is. Other things happening in 2000:

US adoption of broadband internet: 6%
Ipod was still a year away from release, general public had no idea what an mp3 was
YouTube is invented
windows xp was still a year away!
everyone is just starting to get cell phones
Radeon vid cards are released!

Come on, this is old crap, what you think the diablo 2 networking code looked like??

I have also always dealt with lag issues within WoW, but it still doesnt make the game less likeable. WoW and Diablo III are completely different games but im sure the architecture to the servers is going to be the same technology...if you experience 500 MS in WoW ill guarentee it will be the same in Diablo III, however due to WoW's nature you can deal with 500MS in Diablo III you will not be able too, this is what I am afraid of...
90 Draenei Paladin
08/24/2011 03:32 PMPosted by JonTheBon
What stops Blizzard from deleting all of the items off of a character being transferred from single player to multiplayer? Seriously, I wonder if Blizzard even realizes it can do this.

Give somebody all of your personal information. Credentials to your bank accounts. Your ID. Your wallet. Also, allow that individual to share that information with the entire world over the internet, including some of the best identity thieves in the world.

After that, see how well you can limit the damage. Sure, you can limit some of the damage. If you try really hard, hire dozens of people to protect your info 24/7 , and spend a lot of money you can still function normally... assuming you keep it up for many, many, many years.

It's pretty much the same thing with online games with client-server architecture.

No, Blizzard is not that stupid. They have dozens of experts. They know what an offline mode will do to D3. They're not going to ruin their game just so a few nerds can play their game on the train, or so that the maybe five people who can afford a gaming computer in the entire population of <insert low-wealth country here> can enjoy the game.
An offline mode would be grand, I see no reason to be against one if it could come into play without interfering with the online game. Who won't miss playing Diablo while on those long trips cross-country? It was one of my favorite single player games.

However, I will not be heartbroken if an offline mode isn't included as long as the online experience is spectacular.
08/24/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Aeox
It's going to be a part of what the game requires. You'll have games you need an internet connection to play, and those that don't. If you're in a situation where you won't have internet access, Diablo III won't be a game you play at that time. Being on the World of Warcraft forums it's a distinction that we all have to plan around. I have my offline games, and I have my online games. Which ones I can play and when is just a part of what each game is and its requirements.
from bashiok

Haha, thats funny. There are other games to buy instead of diablo 3, too.
Considering I very rarely even play single player games.. I honestly couldn't care less if they have offline play or not. I only play the game when im either at home or "laning" at a friends. Not real LAN, just haulin over the ol PC for some good'ol online action!

I can see why some people want it, but I think its safe to assume this wont affect to much of the games population. The added security measures caused by forcing a connection are a fair trade imo.
Edited by Havoc on 8/24/2011 3:42 PM PDT
TL;DR

It's blizzards games, they will and can do what ever the hell the want and you just gota groove on it. Is it really that hard to have a 24/7 connection these days?

Answer: No.

Basically Im the player, I paid the $50, with a game that has the ability to be played single player why do I NEED to have an internet connection, I want to play the game in single player as that is important to me...this system of only online play in a way contradicts what the Diablo franchise is primarily about an ARPG.

Typical modern generation !@#$ right here. You bought the game to play it as it was presented, with no single player, not how YOU wanted to play it. You can't buy a car then sue Toyota because you can't fly in it. "I'm the buyer, I paid the 13,000.00, with a car that has the ability to fly. WHY DO I NEED TO STAY ON THE GROUND?!"

This kind of moronic "I want it my way and I want it now" attitude is just disgusting.

I find it ironic that you complain about modern generation BS, but fail to recognize your own in the first part assuming people have internet 24/7
90 Draenei Paladin
08/24/2011 03:40 PMPosted by ThorIsHere
An offline mode would be grand, I see no reason to be against one if it could come into play without interfering with the online game.

It can't exist without compromising the online game. That's the only problem with having an offline mode, considering that Blizzard games are vastly more popular online than off. (This was true even when internet sucked for everyone in the mid-late 90s and networking code was vastly inferior).

I'll trust the dozens of online security experts and programmers at Blizzard with many, many, many years of experience, first-hand knowledge, and college-level courses when it comes to this issue.
7 Human Hunter
Considering I very rarely even play single player games.. I honestly couldn't care less if they have offline play or not. I only play the game when im either at home or "laning" at a friends. Not real LAN, just haulin over the ol PC for some good'ol online action!

I can see why some people want it, but I think its safe to assume this wont affect to much of the games population. The added security measures caused by forcing a connection are a fair trade imo.

How is it fair when the game is essentially shut out entirely from a group of people? You can't really quantify the "safety" that is provided.
90 Draenei Paladin

How is it fair when the game is essentially shut out entirely from a group of people? You can't really quantify the "safety" that is provided.

Computer games by their very nature already shut out a very large number of people: those without electricity access and those who are poor.

The percentage of people with internet who can afford a gaming computer is much, much higher than you (or any other deniers in this thread) think it is.

If Blizzard doesn't cater to people without electricity, then why should they cater to people with electricity but without internet? The former is a MUCH larger population than the latter.
08/24/2011 03:50 PMPosted by Klavdiya
I find it ironic that you complain about modern generation BS, but fail to recognize your own in the first part assuming people have internet 24/7

Im sorry im un-employed at the moment, not on any kind of aid, and can afford 20 MBPS Cable internet. If you can't even get 19.99 DSLExtreme or live in a rural area, that is what i like to call "YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT".

There is NO reason we should be plagued by possible exploits and giving botters free grounds to make their bots just because you make bad decisions. Deal with it.

So I reiterate, if you can't afford or don't have access to 24/7 internet connection, this game simply isn't for you.

So someone who lives in a rural area, it is somehow their own fault they live in that area? this is a news flash to me! shall i alert the press?(although i feel like the onion most likely covered this).

Ah so now its clear, its a superiority thing, we will bar out the weak who may diminish my gameplay so i can enjoy it better. Can see this community shaping up great.

And i have a 24/7 internet connection, i just dont have a internet connection 24/7 :)

Im sorry im un-employed at the moment, not on any kind of aid, and can afford 20 MBPS Cable internet. If you can't even get 19.99 DSLExtreme or live in a rural area, that is what i like to call "YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT".

There is NO reason we should be plagued by possible exploits and giving botters free grounds to make their bots just because you make bad decisions. Deal with it.

So I reiterate, if you can't afford or don't have access to 24/7 internet connection, this game simply isn't for you.

So someone who lives in a rural area, it is somehow their own fault they live in that area? this is a news flash to me! shall i alert the press?(although i feel like the onion most likely covered this).

Ah so now its clear, its a superiority thing, we will bar out the weak who may diminish my gameplay so i can enjoy it better. Can see this community shaping up great.

And i have a 24/7 internet connection, i just dont have a internet connection 24/7 :)

It has nothing to do with superiority. It has everything to do with - Welcome to the real world -. You cannot design a game to please everyone. Sadly, those of you without an internet connection would be unable to play. if you have spotty internet connection, then read a book or go see the sun when it's not working for you.

IT"S NOT BLIZZARDS FAULT YOUR NET CONNECTION IS NON EXISTENT OR SUCKS!
Edited by Alcovitch on 8/24/2011 4:12 PM PDT
85 Undead Priest
Obviously very very few people here are intimately knowledgeable about hacking and importing.

Having a single player in any way shape or form just gives people a place to test hacks and gain information about how things work.

SP is gone, the game is better for it.

Stop talking about it.
Im fine as long as I can buy the game---play it without paying monthly, Wow felt more like a game rental system.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]