Diablo® III

Inferno Difficulty: Opinion and Suggestions

85 Human Paladin
I hope that Blizzard has more planned for "end game" than just Inferno Difficulty. I realize that obtaining the best of the best loot, gems, runes and etc will take quite a while but do not underestimate the farming capabilities of those with no lives such as myself.

Here are my issues with Inferno Difficulty:

1) Flat difficulty means that once I learn and get through the toughest challenges of Act 1; the rest of the Acts won't be of much challenge especially if I get good loot from the first Act.

2) They can't combat #1 at all because of the following:

• If they increase the difficulty in say Act 2 but keep loot drops the same then as a player I will have no reason to ever go past Act 1.

• If they increase the loot quality or quantity in say Act 2, then as a player I will have no reason to ever go back to Act 1.

• Considering these points I feel that the current implementation of the Inferno Difficulty is quite unnecessary, lacking, and will serve no real purpose other than being "just another difficulty".

Here is what I suggest for a revamp to Inferno Difficulty:

1) Keep rune drops, gold, gem drops, and most gear drops relatively flat across all 4 acts.

2) Scale the difficulty as to test the mettle of even the mightiest of warriors. With acts increasing in difficulty as done traditionally.

The difficulty must be insanely difficult for those in even the best of Hell quality equipment. This will be done to ensure that people aren't doing full runs of the content right off the bat with the suggested change described below. As well as making the game more enjoyable as power is nothing without those to test it upon.

3) Create a buff or mechanic with a limited duration to be obtained after a Boss is killed that increases your loot quality and/or quantity. This will encourage players to not only complete the entire difficulty but also to make them want to increase their skill level so they may get through content faster and more efficiently to receive better loot.

Having a limited duration of this buff would prevent people from obtaining the buff and then farming areas off the beaten path for loot. The idea is that you will want to continue through the difficulty and stack this buff as high as possible for epic loot off of Diablo or whomever is the "last boss".

This buff would also stack meaning I will have 1 stack if I kill the first boss and then if I kill the second boss before the first buff expires it will stack to 2 and so on.

TL;DR

• Change Inferno Difficulty!

• Keep most item drops; runes, gems, gold, gear, and etc relatively flat across the difficulties.

• Create a limited duration stacking buff to be gained after killing a boss that will increase quality and/or quantity of loot. The idea being that you would attempt to kill all bosses in quick efficient succession. This mechanic would encourage players to play across the entire difficulty and not perform "baal runs".

• Increase difficulty of Inferno as to test the mettle of even the mightiest of warriors as done traditionally, and I mean make it real damn hard.
  • Edited by Monath on 8/25/2011 5:59 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    not a turrible idea. People have talked about this sort of thing - stacking buffs obtained by killing act bosses - before. Unfortunately, it results in the same thing that inferno difficulty is meant to create. Instead of the monotony of baal runs, you now have the monotony of kill all 5 basses asap. Downsides and upsides. :\
    Reply Quote
    85 Goblin Shaman
    I couldn't bare to read that entire post, but the way I see it as far as difficulty goes, act 1 will probably be less complex, since its act 1, then act 2-4 will have more complex situations and abilities, making it progressively harder even in Inferno mode.

As far as the loot drops in act 4 being the same as in act 1, I don't know how else they'd give incentive to run all acts, unless certain pieces or runes could only drop from certain acts.

Now I think I will try to finish reading your post.

::EDIT:: The first thing I thought of when I heard of Inferno mode was that it would be like WoW's Heroic modes. In this thinking they could (I hope they don't) limit you to 1 inferno clear per day. So when you go into an Inferno mode, you get (in WoW terms) a raid ID. once you start killing that stuff, no matter if you leave the game and create a new one, the game won't generate a new map with new enemies for you until the next day. Also, you wouldn't be able to join a friends game unless they were further progressed into the campaign than you for that day, and then you'd get saved to that amount of daily progress.

Just an idea, its one way to make sure we go through the whole thing, since once we clear act 1 it's gone until the next day! OR, just keep it locked until we clear the whole darn thing, and then give us a new fresh run to start.

Sorry for wall of text ^^ Mines as bad as OP now, lol
    Edited by Beardasaurus on 8/25/2011 3:04 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Your approach to Inferno seems unnecessary and convoluted. They made Inferno flat so that Baal runs no longer exist. Your system encourages Baal runs while also instituting a system to counteract that. Why bother? Your suggestion seems short sided.

Instead wouldn't it make more sense to introduce different endgame options in different modes? I'll put this in WoW terms. Inferno seems like the Heroics stage once your max level. At this point you farm it for good gear so that you can tackle the real endgame.

So what would be the "real endgame" for D3? Instead of focusing on changing Inferno to meet all your needs for challenge, we should instead have different modes to specifically accommodate them. An endless dungeon with a timer or checkpoint markers, uber bosses, endless waves survival mode ect.

Ultimately Inferno is not the end all be all content for max level. I believe its just one of many systems that Blizzard plans on implementing.
    Reply Quote
    08/25/2011 02:12 AMPosted by Monath
    I hope that Blizzard has more planned for "end game" than just Inferno Difficulty. I realize that obtaining the best of the best loot, gems, runes and etc will take quite a while but do not underestimate the farming capabilities of those with no lives such as myself.

They have said there is more to it then just a flat difficulty, though they implied whatever more there is may not come out until shortly after the game is released, and then may expand further for quite some time.

Here are my issues with Inferno Difficulty:

1) Flat difficulty means that once I learn and get through the toughest challenges of Act 1; the rest of the Acts won't be of much challenge especially if I get good loot from the first Act.

Maybe, maybe not. We don't actually know enough yet to make this statement with certainty. However, if the mobs change (to different kinds of mobs) in the later levels, then chances are some things will still take you by surprise. Also I believe there is not yet any confirmation either way on whether you will actually have to fight through Act 1 in Inferno in order to access Act 2. Given the devs stated goals with Inferno they could easily decide to just give everyone automatic access to either all waypoints, or to the first waypoint of each act. This would let people go wherever they want in Inferno right from the start. It's not like the point of Inferno is to make people play the entire game a 4th time.

2) They can't combat #1 at all because of the following:

Your first mistake is in assuming #1 is fact. Your second mistake is in assuming that even if it is they would want to combat it. The stated goal is to provide flat difficulty and no reason to NOT go wherever you like best. Not to provide reasons to go anywhere specific.

• If they increase the difficulty in say Act 2 then as a player I will have no reason to ever go back to Act 1.

• Actually you have this backwards. If Act 2 is harder than Act 1 then Act 1 will be more lucrative UNLESS:

• ...they increase the loot quality or quantity in say Act 2, then as a player I will have no reason to ever go back to Act 1.

• This is true. But their stated goal is to make it equally lucrative to go anywhere in the game. So there is no reason to think that Act 2 will have better drops than Act 1.

Considering these points I feel that the current implementation of the Inferno Difficulty is quite unnecessary, lacking, and will serve no real purpose other than being "just another difficulty".

*sarcasm on* Wow. You played the final game all the way through Inferno difficulty already, and are not under an NDA either? Why don't you fill us in on what the game is like!!!! *sarcasm off*

In other words, you don't have a freaking clue what the current implementation of Inferno Difficulty is, just like the rest of us, and it isn't even finished anyway, so this statement is pointless.

Here is what I suggest for a revamp to Inferno Difficulty:

1) Keep rune drops, gold, gem drops, and most gear drops relatively flat across all 4 acts.

Most people already think this is the plan. They all but said it was.

2) Scale the difficulty as to test the mettle of even the mightiest of warriors. With acts increasing in difficulty as done traditionally.

This is 100% counter to the dev's stated goals. People would just do act 1 repeatedly, as you already stated.... But lets just see what your fix is:

The difficulty must be insanely difficult for those in even the best of Hell quality equipment. This will be done to ensure that people aren't doing full runs of the content right off the bat with the suggested change described below. As well as making the game more enjoyable as power is nothing without those to test it upon.

3) Create a buff or mechanic with a limited duration to be obtained after a Boss is killed that increases your loot quality and/or quantity. This will encourage players to not only complete the entire difficulty but also to make them want to increase their skill level so they may get through content faster and more efficiently to receive better loot.

Having a limited duration of this buff would prevent people from obtaining the buff and then farming areas off the beaten path for loot. The idea is that you will want to continue through the difficulty and stack this buff as high as possible for epic loot off of Diablo or whomever is the "last boss".

This buff would also stack meaning I will have 1 stack if I kill the first boss and then if I kill the second boss before the first buff expires it will stack to 2 and so on.

This idea is completely counter to the devs stated intention with Inferno and just a bad idea in general anyway.

First, other people have already come up with a far more useful version of this based on % of mobs killed in a given act raising your MF. Your idea is like a horrible backwards version of that one. If your idea was implemented people would just get all the waypoints and then run the bosses in order from Act 4 to Act 2 (They would start with hardest because it will take longer and since the loot is the same there is no point in risking losing your buff to a long 4th fight), bypassing everything else in the game they could. Then once only the easiest Act 1 boss was left the would put on as much MF gear as they could get away with and beat the Act 1 boss too. Then they would put on even more MF gear and clear as much of the easy Act 1 as they could before the MF buff ran out. Rinse and repeat.

It would be D2 Boss runs all over again.

The simplest solution is to make the difficulty flat but VERY hard, and give people access to the first waypoint in every act automatically. People could then fight their way through the acts in any order and go anywhere that interests them whenever they like, which is the devs stated goal for Inferno to start with. "Problem" solved.
    Edited by iPanda on 8/25/2011 3:36 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    Inferno's current implementation is pure and simple "just another difficulty" they could have just made hell "really hard" like they are intending Inferno to be and there would be no difference at all.

Blizzard wants the entire difficulty to be rather similar for loot and difficulty to prevent players from farming specific areas. They CANNOT increase difficulty or loot quality/quantity in any area or Act without making their initial goal void. If any area or act of the game has better loot, drop rates, or is easier to farm for the same loot then I have no reason to play other areas.

For example if Act 4 drops better/more loot then I have 0 reason to play Act 3, 2, 1. If they increase difficulty of 2, 3, 4, and don't change the loot scaling then I have 0 reason to play Acts 2, 3, and 4.

@iPanda, from reading your comments it appears to me as if you really didn't understand what I was saying or misinterpreted it heavily but here are some counterpoints anyways:

First, other people have already come up with a far more useful version of this based on % of mobs killed in a given act raising your MF. Your idea is like a horrible backwards version of that one. If your idea was implemented people would just get all the waypoints and then run the bosses in order from Act 4 to Act 2 (They would start with hardest because it will take longer and since the loot is the same there is no point in risking losing your buff to a long 4th fight), bypassing everything else in the game they could. Then once only the easiest Act 1 boss was left the would put on as much MF gear as they could get away with and beat the Act 1 boss too. Then they would put on even more MF gear and clear as much of the easy Act 1 as they could before the MF buff ran out. Rinse and repeat.

It would be D2 Boss runs all over again.

• Remove subsequent waypoints in acts from Inferno Difficulty. This meaning that I couldn't teleport from the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1 but could still go from the beginning of Act 1 to the beginning of Act 2. Waypoint problem solved.

• Implement second mechanic that disallows you to gain the MF buff from bosses if you skip ahead. This meaning that if I choose to take a waypoint to Act 2 before I kill the boss from Act 1 I can no longer recieve the MF buff from killing the boss in Act 1.

• Also if they implement Inferno the way they have stated it will be implemented as a "Flat difficulty" tell me how it will be any different than "just another difficulty".

If they increase loot or difficulty of any act without increasing every other one just the same then Inferno is no longer a "flat difficulty".
    Edited by Monath on 8/25/2011 5:58 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    @ Desolation

The current implementation of Inferno is purely just another difficulty because they plan on having it "flat" as to prevent 1 or 2 areas being farmed similar to how Diablo 2 was.

It being flat makes it unnecessary in itself. What is the point of creating a 4th difficulty when in reality it will be no different than the previous three. It just seems unnecessary to do that and in my opinion Inferno should be molded to be different.

@ Static

Unfortunately, it results in the same thing that inferno difficulty is meant to create. Instead of the monotony of baal runs, you now have the monotony of kill all 5 basses asap. Downsides and upsides.

Well removing waypoints as I suggested in the post above would counteract this quite well.

Removing most waypoints would force you to play through the entirety of the game. When you consider the fact that Acts will become progressively shorter I think my idea would work quite well.
    Edited by Monath on 8/25/2011 6:20 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]