Diablo® III

RMAH?

Hello all,
I heard recently that D3 will have an auction house. awesome! the idea of using real money troubles me somewhat. will blizzard be taking a cut of those transactions? if so, i suppose the purpose of this move is more clear...

rich kids buy the sweet gear with mom's credit card, poor kids farm gold off of quill rats? I dont see the reasoning behind wanting to buy items with real money. you got the game to PLAY it, not buy your way into prestige. this RMAH system discourages me from buying because i could spend time to collect sweet gear (and have fun doing so) only to have the worth (time worth) of the those items lessened by lazy Mr. Moneybags who bought all the same gear.

the release from which i heard of this stated that only a third of the people polled were opposed to this real money system. what?? why? the majority of you would rather buy your way out of the fun of the game? the fun is in getting the items right??? not having them..

scott
Search tool brah!
There is a flat fee when you post your auction, when you sell your auction, and another fee supposedly if you cash out. I agree with your sentiment, but this has been debated to death and Blizz seems to be pretty dead set in their plans for an RMAH.
So you never played d2 eh?

Welcome to the diablo universe. The nice thing about d3 is that the people who choose to go that route can rest easy knowing that the source they got their gear from is legitimate.
Blizzard's RMAH lends legitimacy to the practice that threatens my status as a unique and beautiful snowflake. It cheapens the game, breh.
Edited by Static on 8/25/2011 1:31 PM PDT
When will the RMAH threads end?
Hello all,
I heard recently that D3 will have an auction house. awesome! the idea of using real money troubles me somewhat. will blizzard be taking a cut of those transactions? if so, i suppose the purpose of this move is more clear...

rich kids buy the sweet gear with mom's credit card, poor kids farm gold off of quill rats? I dont see the reasoning behind wanting to buy items with real money. you got the game to PLAY it, not buy your way into prestige. this RMAH system discourages me from buying because i could spend time to collect sweet gear (and have fun doing so) only to have the worth (time worth) of the those items lessened by lazy Mr. Moneybags who bought all the same gear.

the release from which i heard of this stated that only a third of the people polled were opposed to this real money system. what?? why? the majority of you would rather buy your way out of the fun of the game? the fun is in getting the items right??? not having them..

scott

Sorry that your e-peen will be lessened by someone else having more money in real life than you. It is probably best you learn this now while you are young though, those who have have, those who don't have should be spending more time working hard so they can have and less time worrying about those that already have.

Also, it isn't about buying your way in the game. If you find item A and sell it in the RMAH then use that money to buy item B, then it is really just a trading system and you haven't spent any money at all. Sure some losers will be paying actual cash into the system, but what other people do only affects you if you let it... Like if you need to have a giant e-peen to feel good about yourself.
08/25/2011 01:31 PMPosted by Dispicable

When D3 does I imagine. If nothing else, Troll's be Trollin'.
Hello all,

scott

Sorry that your e-peen will be lessened by someone else having more money in real life than you. It is probably best you learn this now while you are young though, those who have have, those who don't have should be spending more time working hard so they can have and less time worrying about those that already have.

Also, it isn't about buying your way in the game. If you find item A and sell it in the RMAH then use that money to buy item B, then it is really just a trading system and you haven't spent any money at all. Sure some losers will be paying actual cash into the system, but what other people do only affects you if you let it... Like if you need to have a giant e-peen to feel good about yourself.
Sup, opportunity cost. If you sold item A and you didn't take the money and run, you just effectively lost money. The RMAH will have the demoralizing effect of placing a value of pennies on to anything you may happen to find. Congratulations on your wind force! You coulda just dropped two dollars at the RMAH instead of farming for a month though.
90 Human Paladin
08/25/2011 01:31 PMPosted by Dispicable

Still get player housing threads on a regular over on the WOW forums after 7 years.
08/25/2011 01:32 PMPosted by iPanda
When D3 does I imagine. If nothing else, Troll's be Trollin'.

Back on the legacy forums, at least there was SOME constructive argument, but now people are just rinse and repeating the same thing.
...only to have the worth (time worth) of the those items lessened by lazy Mr. Moneybags who bought all the same gear.

You are most likely never going to meet Mr. Moneybags, so why would you give him the power over you to make you feel less accomplished.

Do what Mr. Moneybags is doing; take what you like from Diablo 3 and make it your game and enjoy it.

buying and selling items in the auction house with ingame gold seems like not spending any money at all to me. its blizzard weaseling in a way to nickel and dime the players. a kick in the e-nuts, right below my e-huge e-peen.
08/25/2011 01:39 PMPosted by Myth
...only to have the worth (time worth) of the those items lessened by lazy Mr. Moneybags who bought all the same gear.

You are most likely never going to meet Mr. Moneybags, so why would you give him the power over you to make you feel less accomplished.

Do what Mr. Moneybags is doing; take what you like from Diablo 3 and make it your game and enjoy it.

point taken
08/25/2011 01:41 PMPosted by Scott
buying and selling items in the auction house with ingame gold seems like not spending any money at all to me. its blizzard weaseling in a way to nickel and dime the players. a kick in the e-nuts, right below my e-huge e-peen.

But it is. You could have sold the ingame gold you earned instead of spending it on ingame items, so every item will have a monetary value.

Regardless, why should it affect your play? QQ more.
08/25/2011 01:44 PMPosted by Damouse

But it is. You could have sold the ingame gold you earned instead of spending it on ingame items, so every item will have a monetary value.

it is only because blizzard makes it have a real dollar value. they are going to tax trade in the game with real money. gay. i mean as long as you can play and trade adequately without any real money.. its no skin off my nose, but dang, how much money do you think they will pocket off of trades? if you sell for cash, they get a cut, you buy, they get a cut, you cash out, they take a chunk..
08/25/2011 01:53 PMPosted by Scott
it is only because blizzard makes it have a real dollar value. they are going to tax trade in the game with real money. gay. i mean as long as you can play and trade adequately without any real money.. its no skin off my nose, but dang, how much money do you think they will pocket off of trades? if you sell for cash, they get a cut, you buy, they get a cut, you cash out, they take a chunk..

Don't use the RMAH. /thread

I do not care how blizzard makes its money, nor do i care if Activision is a greedy hungry monster. All i want is my fun game.

No, its not only because Blizzard will give it a real dollar value. If gold is a stable currency and the RMAH didn't exist, then gold would STILL have an exchange rate with dollars because of third party sites. If you dropped 1k on an item and your friend tells you "dude, thats almost 100 dollars!" you'll take notice.

Thats the whole point of the RMAH. Its going to happen one way or another, this way is just safer and easier, and hurts no one but the users who need to flex their epeen.
if you sell for cash, they get a cut, you buy, they get a cut, you cash out, they take a chunk..

Almost; they get a cut when you post an auction, sell an auction, and cash out an auction. They don't take anything if you buy an item, as their fees are already taken from the sellers side.

What's Blizzard's cut?

As with other online auction sites and real-world auction houses, our fee structure will vary by region. However, we plan to collect a nominal fixed transaction fee for each item listed in the auction house. This fee consists of a fixed charge to list the item, which is assessed whether or not the item is successfully sold, and an additional fixed charge that is assessed only if the item is sold. The listing portion of the fee, which helps encourage sensible listing prices and discourage the mass posting of items that are very low quality or would be of little interest to other players, will be waived for a limited number of transactions per account. For players who opt to have the proceeds of their auction house sales go to their third-party payment service account instead of to their Battle.net account, Blizzard will collect a separate "cash-out" fee. Specific details regarding these fees will be announced at a later date.

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]