Diablo® III

GEMS : not hard to aquire

it seems as though there have been a couple of threads stating the extreme difficulty of creating a lvl14 gem, and even though many people have stated reasons why this is simply not the case, it seems these threads keep getting made, so with this thread i hope to straighten this out once and for all.

Here are several reasons why gems will not hard to aquire

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml

Skilling up your artisans will unlock unique recipes, granting your character access to benefits that may not be found anywhere else in the world. The blacksmith crafts weapons and armor, and can add sockets to some items. The mystic creates scrolls, potions, magical weapons, spell runes, and charms, and can also enchant items. The jeweler crafts gems , amulets, and rings. The jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items and can combine gems to improve their quality.

yup, that means you can pay the jeweler to create a gem, and it should be possible to create a gem above lvl5, depending on the jewelers level, making lvl14 gems a long term but not impossible goal
Reply Quote
Maybe what they meant was that you could pay the jeweler to upgrade your gem by using multiple gems 1 rank lower? Like 3 rank 5s for a rank 6 or 2 rank 10s for a rank 11. Not, *fwoosh* outta thin air xD. This is probably how the ranking up of gems is implemented.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I'm hoping we're able to craft gems through materials gained in salvaging.
Reply Quote
08/29/2011 02:35 AMPosted by Zinqf
Maybe what they meant was that you could pay the jeweler to upgrade your gem by using multiple gems 1 rank lower? Like 3 rank 5s for a rank 6 or 2 rank 10s for a rank 11. Not, *fwoosh* outta thin air xD. This is probably how the ranking up of gems is implemented.

This seems right to me too, the way I have heard the jeweler explained is that he is actually the one turning your gems into the next level. (instead of us using the horadric cube like D2)
I can't confirm any of this, but creating gems out of thin air seems a little too easy.
Reply Quote
it seems as though there have been a couple of threads stating the extreme difficulty of creating a lvl14 gem, and even though many people have stated reasons why this is simply not the case, it seems these threads keep getting made, so with this thread i hope to straighten this out once and for all.

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml">http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml</a>

Skilling up your artisans will unlock unique recipes, granting your character access to benefits that may not be found anywhere else in the world. The blacksmith crafts weapons and armor, and can add sockets to some items. The mystic creates scrolls, potions, magical weapons, spell runes, and charms, and can also enchant items. The jeweler crafts gems , amulets, and rings. The jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items and can combine gems to improve their quality.

yup, that means you can pay the jeweler to create a gem, and it should be possible to create a gem above lvl5, depending on the jewelers level, making lvl14 gems a long term but not impossible goal

Nope. That isn't what it means at all. What it means is that since there is no Horadric Cube in D3 you have to talk to take gems to a jeweler to combined 3 of a tier into 1 of the next higher tier. This has been confirmed by Blizzard already.

The fact that it takes so many combines to make a Tier 14 has also been specifically addressed by Blizzard and they said they are considering whether to stick with 3 to 1 or whether to switch to 2 to 1 at the higher tiers. If you could just buy the higher tiers that would be a non-concern so that they addressed it at all indicates it is business as usual with gem finding and combining.
Reply Quote
I agree with iPanda, the jewlcrafter upgrades gems. In the discription it says that the jewlcrafter crafts rings, amulets, and gems. This is just an overview of what the jewlcrafter does not an exact interpertation.
Reply Quote
08/29/2011 10:49 PMPosted by iPanda
The fact that it takes so many combines to make a Tier 14 has also been specifically addressed by Blizzard and they said they are considering whether to stick with 3 to 1 or whether to switch to 2 to 1 at the higher tiers

I hope they do this!
Reply Quote
they confirmed that no gems above lv 5 would drop, and that it would take 3 of the previous level gem to level up to a new one. this would make getting a lv 14gem a long process, although it likely wont be very difficult it just may take an extreme amount of time
Reply Quote

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml">http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml</a>

Nope. That isn't what it means at all. What it means is that since there is no Horadric Cube in D3 you have to talk to take gems to a jeweler to combined 3 of a tier into 1 of the next higher tier. This has been confirmed by Blizzard already.

The fact that it takes so many combines to make a Tier 14 has also been specifically addressed by Blizzard and they said they are considering whether to stick with 3 to 1 or whether to switch to 2 to 1 at the higher tiers. If you could just buy the higher tiers that would be a non-concern so that they addressed it at all indicates it is business as usual with gem finding and combining.

again i will read you the paragraph in case you missed the point

The jeweler crafts gems , amulets, and rings. The jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items and can combine gems to improve their quality.

in this part they mention that yes, you use the jeweler to create higher lvl gems from lower level ones, but they also say that you can create your own gems.

you are right that there will be no Horadric Cube, and you will have to fuse your lower ranked gems into higher ones @ the jeweler, however you will be able to create gems from the jeweler, the process is still unknown and so are the requirements, however being able to buy gems will really help us with creating those lvl14 gems, and im sure when you fully upgrade the jeweler you will be allowed to create higher level gems then lvl5. if there will be such an option as to create a gem higher than lvl5 im sure there will be more than a gold fee in order to create it.

having the option to have jewelers create gems makes achieving lvl14 gems possible.
Reply Quote
09/03/2011 05:21 PMPosted by Savior
Your still speculating on the fact that you can create a level 6 gem. You still have 0 confimation that they aren't restricted to lvl 1-5

ok fine

lets say you can buy up to a lvl5 gem from the jeweler

that still means it will be much easier to reach lvl14 gems since you can buy the same type of gem at a available source

happy?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
What it means is that since there is no Horadric Cube in D3 you have to talk to take gems to a jeweler to combined 3 of a tier into 1 of the next higher tier. This has been confirmed by Blizzard already.

And confirmed again just now.

Gems are intended to be a long term min/max upgrade path. One rank to the next probably won't make or break the game for you, but it will surely set you apart.
Reply Quote
Yo Bash question, but it's not related to the OP topic but I don't want create a new thread for a simple question that only needs a yes or no answer. Tab switching skills (for right click) still in the game?
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
just out of curiosity ... if you had say 3 open slots in something ... and were short on gems ... would it be more beneficial to use 3 gems of the same type or combine them and put them in as one gem ... which would give you more of the stat you were after ??
Reply Quote
09/04/2011 10:29 AMPosted by Menotaur
just out of curiosity ... if you had say 3 open slots in something ... and were short on gems ... would it be more beneficial to use 3 gems of the same type or combine them and put them in as one gem ... which would give you more of the stat you were after ??

Even if the one gem gives less of the stat than the 3 lower gems, it still may be advantageous to upgrade to the one gem because it leaves 2 empty slots.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
09/04/2011 10:29 AMPosted by Menotaur

Welcome to the world of Min/Maxing.

If you have 3 slots, and you have 3x 10th tier gems, it would be best to throw all 3 into that item (assuming you had no other gems to fill the slots). However, if you have 3 open slots, and you have 3x 10th tier gems, and 2x 9th tier laying around, theres a good chance that combining the 3 10th tier ones could be best for you.

Since we don't have stat sheets on every item/gem, there's no way to answer this with 100% certainty, but it is a VERY good assumption to say that when you combine 3 gems, the stats on the higher tier gem created will be lower than the combined totals of the three you used. When you see it in game, it will make more sense...and you should know without question what needs done at that time.
Reply Quote
09/03/2011 11:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
What it means is that since there is no Horadric Cube in D3 you have to talk to take gems to a jeweler to combined 3 of a tier into 1 of the next higher tier. This has been confirmed by Blizzard already.

Gems are intended to be a long term min/max upgrade path. One rank to the next probably won't make or break the game for you, but it will surely set you apart.

looks like i was under the wrong impression

i thought you could simply buy gems from the jeweler, without requiring any previous gems, but rather with other ingredients or simply with money, while having the option to also allow the fusion of multiple gems you find from drops to create one higher lvl gem

i misread the artisan faq.

well i take this whole thread back, it'll take forever to make a maxed level gem

sorry if i confused anyone :S
Reply Quote
09/03/2011 11:17 PMPosted by Bashiok

Any word on if the max level of gems that can drop has been changed? Is it still lvl 5 gems or has that been increased?
Reply Quote
Any word on if the max level of gems that can drop has been changed? Is it still lvl 5 gems or has that been increased?

Judging by the posts near the top of this thread I'm guessing they go up to at least level 14 now seems to be the trend at least.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]