Diablo® III

Will good recipies be the most valuable loot?

I know that a lot of the items in D3 will have random properties but don't you think that recipies that have the potential to create sick loot will be the best loot to have?

Think about recipies for set items. Unless set items also have random attributes the recipie for a sweet set item could be worth SOOO much because all you need to do is find crap items (like an axe with plus to cast speed) of the same quality and break them down to get this sick item every time.

I just hope that every item that can be crafted has a wide range of random attributes because if not some recipies have the potential to flood the market with good items.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Not the most valuable per se and I'm sure nearly all crafted items will have a range for each stat that it would have. I also fully expect all the uber crafted items to take ridiculous amounts of materials.
Reply Quote
Definitely potential to be good money makers, but i see runes and gems being some of the biggest as well. They showed a picture of the gem progression at that conference in Germany last week. Instead of the 5 types from diablo 2 i think there were like 12 or 14 types, and they said that the top several types would only be obtained by combining them, they would never drop, unlike perfects in D2, which could drop and be combined to get. So that would mean that the top gems will be hugely valuable if they require several of the highest dropped ones to combine over and over and over just to get one of the top end gems. Like if it required say 30 or 40 perfects to get one of the Lustrous Uber Gems (say that was the top gem's name) It would be pretty expensive. Could be wrong, that's just one of the things i thought of so far that might be pretty high early on.
Edited by Wingbane on 8/25/2011 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^I agree with Wingbane on gems and runes. I as well kept up on pieces of the D3 information released at Germany's game conference. What I am wondering is if there will be a set of separate, higher stat gemstones to combine on Inferno mode. And, if crafting recipes drop from Inferno mode. One would assume that anything from that difficulty that could be sold or broken down in to materials for the uber gear would be the priciest. It showed a picture that had runes from Inferno.
Reply Quote
Ya there are 14 tiers of gems and as of now only the 5th (and below) tier drops. That means that 3^(14-5) =19683 tier 5 gems to make one tier 14 one. And even if really good recipes took mad crafting materials it would be a rediculious money maker if it made an always needed item (one that didn't have random stats like a set item). This is due to high level inferno gear that has crappy random attributes being not that valuable.
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 11:46 PMPosted by Chud
Ya there are 14 tiers of gems and as of now only the 5th (and below) tier drops. That means that 3^(14-5) =19683 tier 5 gems to make one tier 14 one. And even if really good recipes took mad crafting materials it would be a rediculious money maker if it made an always needed item (one that didn't have random stats like a set item). This is due to high level inferno gear that has crappy random attributes being not that valuable.

Ok it's harder than i thought to get a tier 14 gem. I thought it was only the top few tiers that wouldn't drop, not that it was only the bottom few that would. Yikes. Definitely going to be some serious bank for a tier 14 gem then. got just two words....

Cha Ching!
Reply Quote
Actually, this discussion brings up a question that I've had for a while... I apologize if I just missed the answer somewhere else.

Are loot recipes "consumed" when you teach them to your artisan? I would assume so, but I don't think I've ever seen it specifically called out.

For that matter, are we sure recipes are tradable in the AH? Could they be among the "very few soulbound" items? Seems unlikely, I think, unless they're quest-related or something, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure yet.
Reply Quote
I know that a lot of the items in D3 will have random properties but don't you think that recipies that have the potential to create sick loot will be the best loot to have?

Think about recipies for set items. Unless set items also have random attributes the recipie for a sweet set item could be worth SOOO much because all you need to do is find crap items (like an axe with plus to cast speed) of the same quality and break them down to get this sick item every time.

I just hope that every item that can be crafted has a wide range of random attributes because if not some recipies have the potential to flood the market with good items.

Recipes will be great, but don't forget about how we get materials to craft them. You break down items that you would otherwise sell. So potentially, to craft a level 60 unique recipe, you may have to break down multiple level 60 items, maybe even a level 60 unique.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Actually, this discussion brings up a question that I've had for a while... I apologize if I just missed the answer somewhere else.

Are loot recipes "consumed" when you teach them to your artisan? I would assume so, but I don't think I've ever seen it specifically called out.

For that matter, are we sure recipes are tradable in the AH? Could they be among the "very few soulbound" items? Seems unlikely, I think, unless they're quest-related or something, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure yet.
Unconfirmed, but I would also assume they're consumed and aren't soulbound.

Edit: also something to keep in mind is that Crafting will be a lossy process. It's not just turning an unwanted axe into a wanted helmet, it's turning 5 unwanted axes into a single wanted helmet.
Edited by Krystle on 8/26/2011 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 11:46 PMPosted by Chud

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing/reading/hearing somewhere that its 2 gems per combine in this one... not only that, but its been mentioned before that the Jeweler may have the capability of creating gems, and widely speculated upon that it could include gems over level 5.

So, a couple small pieces of hope there.
Reply Quote
Blizzard devs have basically said that the crafting system isn't going to produce most of the items people will use. Something more like 20-30%. Most of the items people would use would just come from drops.

This makes me a bit sad. It's also why in other threads I've said that the main artisan's I plan to advance first is the Jeweller then Mystic.

I think pretty much every recipe I find, I'll drop on the AH... unless it just seems exceptionally rare/good. Tho I suppose that pretty much stands for every item :p There's not really going to be a major point in holding anything as the value of things is just going to go down once a significant portion of the player base levels up.

I question how long Blizzard expects it will take till the market is saturated with recipes and nobody buys them because they are all known. I have a feeling this is going to happen far sooner than I'd prefer it did.

I almost wish that recipes had a limited use before you forgot them and had to re-learn. (Maybe they will, but I doubt it).

It should be mentioned, as Jay described it... a functionality of the crafting system is, in a large part, a replacement for the previous Gambling system. He basically stated, you're going to be producing a lot of crap to get the item with the mods you wanted.
Edited by Spiffytastic on 8/30/2011 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think it depends how the crafting community views recipes. Whether you can tip other players for crafting gear, or the players prefer to craft their own gear with out reaching out to the community.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]