Diablo® III

What Happened post-Worldstone Destruction

Toss your speculations to what happen to the world of Sanctuary since Baal was defeated and the Barbarian homeland ruined. What new lore threads can be explored to further expand the Diablo IP?

Plus those who read that second to last Diablo novel Moon of the Spider should have a inkling to what it may be. A unknown entity reveal at the closing whom secretly help the protagonist and at the very end spread its fiery wings and took for the skies. Any one got ideas to what "he" maybe up too?
Reply Quote
Deathwing's a little bored with Azeroth, decided to pay the sanctuary a visit.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
The worldstone had two purposes: The first was to conceal Sanctuary's existence from the high heavens and the burning hells, for the most part. The second was to continually weaken the Lilim, otherwise known as "humanity". Since the Lilim were born from the fusion of angel and demon, they possessed the powers of both and could theoretically become much more powerful than either. Inarius, the "male" progenitor of the Lilim, resented the idea of such a thing-- and created the worldstone to continually subdue them.

Now that it's gone, two things are happening. First, the Lilim are regaining their suppressed powers rather quickly-- which explains the surge in our character's powers from what we're used to in the previous iterations of the franchise. Secondly, Heaven and hell have both become aware of Sanctuary's existence and probably the nature of the Lilim as well. Heaven probably doesn't want humanity around-- they're easily deceived and sometimes very open to the persuasions of Hell. Hell probably wants humanity around because they can get redonkulously powerful and are easily exploited to boot.

At the end of the day, even the Lilim who hate the burning hells will be forced into a choice: Stand by the light and possibly be crushed by it as the high heavens attempt to mitigate the threat of humanity, or work with the hells to insure one's survival but be damned in the process.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
The worldstone had two purposes: The first was to conceal Sanctuary's existence from the high heavens and the burning hells, for the most part. The second was to continually weaken the Lilim, otherwise known as "humanity". Since the Lilim were born from the fusion of angel and demon, they possessed the powers of both and could theoretically become much more powerful than either. Inarius, the "male" progenitor of the Lilim, resented the idea of such a thing-- and created the worldstone to continually subdue them.

Now that it's gone, two things are happening. First, the Lilim are regaining their suppressed powers rather quickly-- which explains the surge in our character's powers from what we're used to in the previous iterations of the franchise. Secondly, Heaven and hell have both become aware of Sanctuary's existence and probably the nature of the Lilim as well. Heaven probably doesn't want humanity around-- they're easily deceived and sometimes very open to the persuasions of Hell. Hell probably wants humanity around because they can get redonkulously powerful and are easily exploited to boot.

At the end of the day, even the Lilim who hate the burning hells will be forced into a choice: Stand by the light and possibly be crushed by it as the high heavens attempt to mitigate the threat of humanity, or work with the hells to insure one's survival but be damned in the process.

this is why i don't like putting books into a game setting. Congrats in a few paragraphs, you have adequately trivialized humanity to insignificance, rendered no logical explanation to the whole "barbarian tribes protect the worldstone" thing, and set up a union between two beings whose very existences are diametrically opposed.

Its like a retardo soap opera between two people of different religions who somehow get along by not talking about religion and their bastard half-child neither wanted who somehow has to choose his/her own religion now. All drama and tragic emotion, no reason or substance.

QQ moar.

It's an ARPG, the story isn't going to be revolutionary.
Edited by Hexxüs on 8/26/2011 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Now that it's gone, two things are happening. First, the Nephalem are regaining their suppressed powers rather quickly-- which explains the surge in our character's powers from what we're used to in the previous iterations of the franchise. Secondly, Heaven and hell have both become aware of Sanctuary's existence and probably the nature of the Nephalem as well. Heaven probably doesn't want humanity around-- they're easily deceived and sometimes very open to the persuasions of Hell. Hell probably wants humanity around because they can get redonkulously powerful and are easily exploited to boot.
1. I've heard of the character classes welding "god-like powers" mentioned by Blizzard but I never did find the source of that tidbit or I forgotten in the 3 year wait. Could someone direct to to where?

2. Well Heaven and Hell knew of the abominable existence of Inarius' Sanctuary centuries ago before the events of D1/D2/LOD occured as revealed in the Sin War novels. Though they [Angiris Council] voted to preserve Sanctuary and its people as future potential might of humanity against Hell in their Great Conflict . However two Council members in favor in destroying man for their half demonic origins.

Mephisto essentially postponed his plans with the trading of Inarius in turn leaving the world untouched. The Evils probably are scheming vise versa of Humanity's fate in the Great Conflict.
Reply Quote

this is why i don't like putting books into a game setting. Congrats in a few paragraphs, you have adequately trivialized humanity to insignificance, rendered no logical explanation to the whole "barbarian tribes protect the worldstone" thing, and set up a union between two beings whose very existences are diametrically opposed.

Its like a retardo soap opera between two people of different religions who somehow get along by not talking about religion and their bastard half-child neither wanted who somehow has to choose his/her own religion now. All drama and tragic emotion, no reason or substance.

I agree, but this was Richard Knaak's doing. He seems to like Necromancers at the expense of everything else in the Diablo Universe

Which is why I'm grateful he's limited his interaction with the StarCraft Universe to Manga. I think to have well written Angels of the Diablo verse, It has to be the same writer that writes Blood Elves (of the WarCraft Universe) and Protoss well.
I happen to like how the In-game and manual Lore of the demons and I think the Angels should have been written as a worthy foil for them.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Death Knight

I wonder what act 4 will be about.

In a DiabloFans news story, a Blue post confirmed the game ends with Diablo.
Reply Quote
08/27/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Shard
The player plays through act 2 finding out about Belial (confirmed)
You know what, it just occurred to me Belial might be no doubt the alleged dark force puppeteer who bringing ruin to Kehjistan though Harken II. And the source of the late Emperor Harken's illness and death. Act II set in the Borderland desert and who's been confirmed to be there, eh?

08/27/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Shard
I wonder what act 4 will be about.
I think its only three acts for D3 (Khanduras, Borderlands, Dreadlands) unless one other TBA.
08/27/2011 08:50 PMPosted by Sylvannias
In a DiabloFans news story, a Blue post confirmed the game ends with Diablo.
Could you link the source please?
Edited by Eroldren on 8/27/2011 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Belial and Azmodan have been in a civil war for <insert big number here> years. They're the only major evils left (Diablo and Mephisto are theoretically gone forever, and you killed Duriel and Andariel)
From what I've read and understand,destroyng the soulstones does NOT kill them. You have to actually destroy their souls somehow...or something..Idk. I just remember reading somewhere that soulstones alone are not enough...Diablo is definitely still alive though if you just watch any trailer with cinematics.
Reply Quote
Their [Prime Evils, Andariel, Duriel] souls may find themselves in limbo in the Black Abyss for a time before taking up a newly formed body. For the Three Brothers spending a 20 year break in the Abyss restoring themselves, that would have to be nothing for terrible demon lords in comparison to the many centuries of imprisonment. Andariel and Duriel... they might have return to Hell sooner being of lesser lords in power/strength verses the Prime Evils.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Well, I can think of a few good reasons for the twenty year interval after the Worldstone's destruction for demons to start invading in force, provided they haven't been slowly and surely doing so from the get-go.

1. Well, before the Tyrael made a mountain explode, what did the characters do? Visit the burning hells and murder Diablo (For awhile, anyway.). And what did they have to do to GET to Diablo? Kill a hell of a lot of demons between them and him. They basically helped depopulate hell for a period of time, is what I'm saying; Hell had to rebuild it's numbers.

2. We don't really know what all happened to the parts of Baal's army that the player characters DIDN'T smash the faces in of; Did the mountain exploding kill the greater part of them? If so, then they wouldn't have been too big a deal. If not, then they probably just mindlessly rampaged until they died.

3. The game designers just wanted to move onto a new generation, and 20 years will do that.

Of course, I could just be way off base here, but eh, I suppose we'll find out eventually.
Reply Quote
It's not like blizz to put a bow on everything, expect some curve balls. :)

First of all I think Deckard is hiding an ace up his sleeve. I highly doubt he's just a feeble old man. He's managed to control our path since we descended catacombs to defeat a mad king. Not to mention he's freaking old...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3082081632

As far as the prime evils go... JW said that the events have transpired exactly how they planned. So to say they're erased from existence is a little premature. What better way to leave the public eye than to 'die'.

The Nephalem are finally starting to rise to their potential after the destruction of the world stone (this is apparant in the new skills.. wrath of the berzerker, shadow power, ect). It seems highly unlikely that angelic/demonic forces have left sanctuary alone. It'll be interesting to see how they've been manipulating us over the years.

With the world stone gone (with it the pact with hell to leave sanctuary to grow without interferance), I wouldn't be surprised if the Angiris Council has decided that the Nephalem have outlived their usefulness.

Bare in mind we have 2 xpacs coming off this title so we won't get the full story at launch :(
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
08/29/2011 05:36 PMPosted by Shingan
they didnt kill any demons to get to him/them they killed 5, everything else was a posessed human or animal or undead.

I remember quite a few demons on the way from the Pandemonium Fortress to the Chaos Sanctuary... Those big fellas with the horns and wings, for one.

Although I suppose I should have just said 'denizens of hell', it would have made what I was going for more clear.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Posted by Anciandra

they didnt kill any demons to get to him/them they killed 5, everything else was a posessed human or animal or undead.

I remember quite a few demons on the way from the Pandemonium Fortress to the Chaos Sanctuary... Those big fellas with the horns and wings, for one.

Although I suppose I should have just said 'denizens of hell', it would have made what I was going for more clear.

there were three types of demons in hell. Archdemons, vile mothers, and regurgitators.

you are referring to the archdemons.

yes there are only three hellspawn in hell apparently.

That's just as well saying the same for any other act (plus keep to mind the team had put allot into the other acts and needed a rapper'-upper' for the game so not as many types of demons, sure. But still pretty good looking hell and Cathedral to add.). Example: Act2 you had kitties, bugs (beetles, maggots.) snake-people, giant crusher monsters, undead, crazed mages, goat-men (bare with me not I'm going to look up all the fancy names atm just for this post). About seven types, so your going to banter to act lacking a few demon types? Course I see where your coming from being Hell, it's a big deal. Which to your debate of why there wasn't perhaps a demand of maybe a higher swarm of demons or more types ect I'd have to leave to someone with more knowledge of the story and ect. (I assume he was just getting Hell back under his leash since it fell to the lesser demons Azmodan and Belial when they booted them out they as I have read took reign over Hell.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]