Diablo® III

Open Beta? Hmmm....

100 Night Elf Hunter
Just saw this in a thread in the old D3 forums...

http://www.diablofans.com/uploads/gallery/album_178/gallery_44052_178_236041.png

From this thread:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27831812930&sid=3000

So is there going to be an open beta?
Reply Quote
I don't think there will be an open beta, but I do think that it will end up similar to the starcraft 2 beta in that it was extremely easy to get in towards the last few months.

It would be awesome though if the beta ends up going open, but I doubt it will start that way.
Reply Quote
Yes.

Open to everyone that gets invited.
Reply Quote
Don't get your hopes up friends. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Reply Quote
No, there won't be an open beta. Jay Wilson confirmed that in an interview at Gamescon too :P
Reply Quote
I don't think there will be an open beta, but I do think that it will end up similar to the starcraft 2 beta in that it was extremely easy to get in towards the last few months.

It would be awesome though if the beta ends up going open, but I doubt it will start that way.

Last few months? I don't think it will be long enough to get to that point. The last few months should be more like the first few months and the only few months. If all goes well, we only need a month or two beta quickly followed by release of the final product.
Reply Quote
I just think you're inferring to much from the word "open". There will probably not be a beta where anyone can just sign in. That's TOO open. There will be a beta where people outside of Blizzard's internal testing staff get to play. Doesn't that count as open?

Someone said it:

08/24/2011 07:39 PMPosted by Zex
Reply Quote
By the way, I originally posted this here: http://www.diablofans.com/topic/27504-wtf-open-beta/
Reply Quote
Beta is a lie
Reply Quote
Yes.

then its a closed beta...

open betas are those that require no invite for the bulk of them or those that intend to invite massive amounts of people (or everyone). These still only intend to invite a small portion of the fanbase.... I hope I am among the lucky few...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
08/25/2011 10:42 AMPosted by CherubDown
By the way, I originally posted this here: http://www.diablofans.com/topic/27504-wtf-open-beta/

I made sure I quoted your original thread in the 1st thread.

Still haven't gotten a BLUE reply on it though.
Reply Quote

Someone beat you to it by a few hours in this very forum:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3077927795#8
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
GTU
Yes.

then its a closed beta...

open betas are those that require no invite for the bulk of them or those that intend to invite massive amounts of people (or everyone). These still only intend to invite a small portion of the fanbase.... I hope I am among the lucky few...

I guess his joke went completely over your head.
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 10:40 AMPosted by Gramin
Last few months? I don't think it will be long enough to get to that point. The last few months should be more like the first few months and the only few months. If all goes well, we only need a month or two beta quickly followed by release of the final product.

this ^

finally an intelligent response to a post we've seen a thousand times..

beta will be short.. sc2 was long it needed balancing and battle.net 2.0 was brand spanking new. lots of tweaks were needed. d3 beta will be a month or two maybe less and then they will release for holiday because they will mop the floor with any other game in sales at that release date.
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 10:52 AMPosted by dOOm

this ^

beta will be short.. sc2 was long it needed balancing and battle.net 2.0 was brand spanking new. lots of tweaks were needed. d3 beta will be a month or two maybe less and then they will release for holiday because they will mop the floor with any other game in sales at that release date.

Agreed. Given that the architecture is housed on Blizzard's servers, it's easily plausible that the game is ready to ship today (meaning the DVDs are sitting in boxes just waiting). Any large updates that need to be performed will most likely be done on the server versus on the user's machine. And Blizzard has already stated that any tweaks that are needed can be completed when the user installs the game and connects to bnet.
Reply Quote
September, There will be waves of invites.
Reply Quote
the close beta is now, internal test, and the open beta is for us... but no for everyone in the world, just for lucky people
Reply Quote
08/25/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Gramin

this ^

Agreed. Given that the architecture is housed on Blizzard's servers, it's easily plausible that the game is ready to ship today (meaning the DVDs are sitting in boxes just waiting). Any large updates that need to be performed will most likely be done on the server versus on the user's machine. And Blizzard has already stated that any tweaks that are needed can be completed when the user installs the game and connects to bnet.

Key words being "If all goes well." Blizz is notorious for taking their sweet time to iron out even the littlest bugs. A strong launch with few glitches is HUGE in today's market, and if they rush it out to get holiday sales instead of doing a thorough beta, people will start complaining that it was rushed and more people should have had the chance to test it.

In short, if there are enough bugs to delay, be ready to play something else into 2012.
Reply Quote
I don't think the beta will last longer then a month

I don't reckon any longer then a month, might even be just September. It's the same battle.net 2.0 that SC2 tested and runs on, it's similar graphics engine to SC2, they've had heaps of internal testing and let people play a number of different builds at shows and events. They aren't releasing much content for the beta, so it wont be balance or content testing, I reckon the testing will comprise network, hardware, and AH testing. The only thing that I think that will change the length of the beta, is the number and significance of technical issues experienced by testers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]