Diablo® III

Mac/PC beta simultaneous release?

(Locked)

Here are my beta profile specs :

CPU Type: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
CPU Speed: 2.95 GHz
System Memory: 4 GB
Video Card Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750 / 1 GB

Now can you tell if I'm running on a Mac or a PC just from those listed parts ?

I can because your CPU actually is clocked at the speed of the standard CPU clock.

a PC dynamically overclocks so it would show overclocked under the "CPU SPEED" section.

So I assume you're using a mac.

That being said: Does the Intel Core i7 dynamically overclock on macs ? or can you overclock CPUs on macs ? (technically probably np but Apple might not want you to ?)

I don't think you can manually overclock it, but the OS does change the clock on the run, as well as you can choose which video card is being be used, without rebooting it (some Macs come with two video cards).
Does it? Alright...
IMO the Core i7 line is the ultimate overclockers dream.

I use a Core i7 940 2.93 Ghz running at 3.61 Ghz 24/7 since three years straight. Lovin it :)

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8132/cpunj.jpg

That's the major difference between the two customers. You are overclocking your processor. Mac users just want a computer they can turn on and work on it.
85 Tauren Druid

You must not have used windows lately, I cant name a single issue I have had with windows 7 personally. It's as fast as I can open things, try to open 6 tabs and go to my F drive to opena movie while encoding and there is no lag time at all and I have had not a single crash.

There needs to be a problem in order for another OS to have less issues.

i have windows 7, and its not nearly as faulty as windows vista or xp was, but still pales in comparison to the new mac OS and system overall. crashing? your computer has to be REALLY messed up to just randomly crash while opening programs. windows is very faulty and has more bugs and isnt as well designed programming wise. windows has its perks and macs have their downsides, but forgetting the price, and ability to change parts. mac has the better OS, no debate about it.

I'm all for a different OS than windows, but the price difference plus the ability to change parts is huge for anyone that builds their own computers.
OS X is great: A UNIX environment and CLI for programming, ability to run Photostop and InDesign natively and can run Starcraft 2 (and later, Diablo 3).

Some people just seem unable to look past spec-to-spec comparisons.

Also the mac mice just having one button drives me nuts ^^ - but its how you grew up and what system you were using that determines what seems more natural to you today.

Apple released their first two-button mouse in 2005, and before that you could still use any standard two button mouse. On the Magic Mouse and Magic Touchpad you can configure if you want it to have one or two buttons.

Also that last bit isn't true either, I "grew up" with Windows -- started with 3.1 -- and I now use a Mac.
Edited by Glass on 9/4/2011 2:24 PM PDT
I also grew up on Windows. Tried Mac once and never went back.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
IMO the Core i7 line is the ultimate overclockers dream.

I use a Core i7 940 2.93 Ghz running at 3.61 Ghz 24/7 since three years straight. Lovin it :)

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8132/cpunj.jpg

I am thinking about getting evga sr-2 mobo with 2 xeon cpus, not sure which ones... I heard they overclock amazing even compared to i7... From the person I know who has 2xeon x5690@4.5GHz and he says never touches anywhere near even warm temps and can sit on 100% usage for days without even slight flickering..

It might be overkill since all I really do is encoding =P would be nice though to get it done quicker..

I also grew up on Windows. Tried Mac once and never went back.

It must be personal preference or something, our school had macs and I never liked them much
Edited by Izoll on 9/4/2011 2:42 PM PDT
09/04/2011 02:10 PMPosted by RedSky
Also the mac mice just having one button drives me nuts ^^

And this is how you detect a troll.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
09/04/2011 02:10 PMPosted by RedSky
Imo Windows 7 is the best OS i've ever seen and used. (I use Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit)

I like it too. From my understanding it's what Vista was meant to be but Microsoft failed at it with Vista.

I actually own a copy of Windows 7 to install on Boot Camp / VM Ware / Virtual Box. Runs much faster under the VM then Vista. I do this to run the games I want to play that don't have a mac client. No Mac version? *shrug* *starts up VM ware and pastes URL into chrome there* *2 minutes later game/program is running*

There are advantages and disadvantages to both O/S. Both have things they do better then the other and it's rather silly to go on about which is better.

Example off the top of my head : On OS X you can easily calculate the size of a folder that you can't without external software on the Windows side. On the windows side file copy operations are much quicker then on the Mac side.
this is the third time i buy computer just for diablo
third time!
now i got a beast !
third time!
Edited by SabaChen on 9/6/2011 10:08 AM PDT
Unless you're doing graphic design, there is absolutely no reason to spend A LOT OF EXTRA MONEY for a subpar Mac. The average user would run into more compatibility issues with a Mac way before an average PC user. Simply put, software doesn't like Mac OSX.

And if you even begin to tell me "Macs don't get viruses" and you fall for that marketing scheme... I will just laugh. Stupid people get viruses, not the computer. Save yourself the headache and stick with PC, as even Bashiok said, the Mac version could go haywire. You just don't know.

if you've actually used windows and mac for years, you'd KNOW that mac has 10x less issues overall. with everything. windows is the cheaper, crappier operating system because we all know the story that gates wanted mass production and jobs wanted quality. which is why macs are the better system. yes the mac isnt ideal for GAMING, but when it comes to virtually everything else, it @@!*s windows.

Look at Microsofts net income and look at apples. Apple makes ipods, Microsoft makes 360's and runs the world globally in software, end of subjuct.
[quote="31227329830"]

Example off the top of my head : On OS X you can easily calculate the size of a folder that you can't without external software on the Windows side. On the windows side file copy operations are much quicker then on the Mac side.

What do you mean calculate the size of a folder? If you want to know how big a folder is, right click>properties. Or are you talking something different?
[quote]

What do you mean calculate the size of a folder? If you want to know how big a folder is, right click>properties. Or are you talking something different?

I think he means the Inspector or something.
85 Goblin Warrior
Yeah, you can select properties within properties if i remember correctly.

it's easy to spend the same amount if not more for a pc vs a mac. Apple and Dell for example; if ya stack them next to each other, the cost is comparable, maybe even to Apple vs Alienware (now owned by Dell). PCs are much cheaper because there are so many different manufacturers, which drives competition and lower prices. If anyone remembers the days of mac clones, you can understand what i'm saying above.

i have owned macs since before the ppc days. my g3 was 2500 bucks and Still works (and i can play diablo 1 / starcraft 1!), and it's 12 years old. pcs may be cheaper, but they don't stand the test of time in my opinion. my dell xps that i spent 2700 on is 4 years old and in need of replacement.

i like to use my pcs for gaming and my macs for graphics design, but both are good machines, just a preference.

getting back to topic, as far as i remember, blizzard has always released games for mac and pc at the same time (diablo, warcraft, and starcraft series at least?) - i could be mistaken though.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]