Diablo® III

Bow or Crossbows?

85 Dwarf Paladin
Is this really a question? I'm using Windforce! hahaha.... j/k tho, seriously I never had much love for crossbows, other than the Buriza in D2(aka Bazooka by my standards). But I kinda think the hand xbows are nifty... that being said, the Bow is still the coolest IMO!
Reply Quote
I prefer the crossbows. To me, it fits better with the idea of a DH. Filling the air with arrows is a must, but I would think those arrows (or bolts rather) should be powerful and heavy enough to punch through any demon's skin or armor.
Reply Quote
i have yet to test out the bow with a quiver, so i've just been running through with dual x-bows.

i'll do my next run with bow/quiver to see how that works out.
Reply Quote
bow, windforce is already in the list of weapons as the legendary level 60 bow...

stats not up yet, but itd be an absolute crime if it were weaker than it was in diablo 2 or didnt have its knockback.

and as those of us who played D2 know: you cant stop the wind!
Reply Quote
Yeah its hard to believe anything other than windy + quiver will be the best (or one of the) options for DH endgame.
Reply Quote
It seems like Rapid Fire consumes Hatred quicker when using dual xbows compared to 2hand bow/xbow

Anyone care to share the math behind this? is Rapid Fire a skill designed for 2handers?
Reply Quote
If thats the case that just means its (Rapid Fire) fire rate is based on weapon attack speed.
Reply Quote
I hope that late game the damage of all three types come close. I personally like the bow, but as of right now in the beta, I keep picking up 1h crossbows that are doing more damage then my bow (which is also a higher level).

I really hope there is a small advantage or disadvantage for using each type but not large enough that it would take away from the uniqueness of character customization and playing. I would really hate to see everyone having the exact same look and gear.
Reply Quote
29 Undead Rogue
One handed Crossbows

Them being class specific I think they would have better affixes specifically for the Demon Hunter.

Alsoo they are bad-!@#
Reply Quote
Bow all day!!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'll be using hand crossbows for the sake of what I'll call my "assault rifle" personality. D3 doesn't feel like a game that requires a ton of mouse precision, so working with something that can put more rounds downrange faster feels fantastic, especially since the bolts arc between enemies.
Reply Quote
hizzy
Reply Quote
When I first looked at the demon hunter I HAD to have a pair of hizzys. After the open beta, I could care less, whichever does the most damage. I have a hunch that the majority of you will feel the same.

But if I had to choose, I would say hizzies. I like fast attack speed, and I like chakram. Both of those are best with hizzies.
Reply Quote
i like the idea of dual crossbows, more than a 1hander cross bow

and i like bows as much as dual crossbows

just me
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm a bow fan, always have been and always will be. I'll use whatever I need to while going through the game though. If I have the equivalent of say...the buriza-do-kanyon(sp?) in D2 and I haven't found a bow nearly as good(say lycanders aim), I'll still be using the 2h xbow til I get an upgrade... I guess the more accurate answer is I'll use whatever the best accessible to me is, also I don't plan on BUYING an amazing bow off AH unless I get some decent funds from selling other stuff.
Reply Quote
It seems like Rapid Fire consumes Hatred quicker when using dual xbows compared to 2hand bow/xbow

Anyone care to share the math behind this? is Rapid Fire a skill designed for 2handers?

Rapid fire fires at about 6 times your normal attack speed and consumes 10 hatred for every 6 attacks, so it's going to consume hatred at a speed proportional to your attack speed. (AS * 10), so with 2 1HX, you're looking at 1.84 AS, so 18.4 hatred per second. With a 2HX + Quiver you're looking at 1.21AS, or 12.1 hatred per second.

At equal DPS, dual-wielding will consume your hatred faster with Rapid Fire so you get less Damage per Hatred (though equal damage per second, making 2HX superior in this case over 2 1HX). This may be offset by other factors though, it depends how on-hit effects react to increases in attack speed etc.

For instance, Night Stalker passive gives you 1 discipline on crit, and Preparation/Punishment allows you to convert Discipline to hatred, equaling out to 5 hatred per crit. Unfortunately we don't know exactly how those abilities all work yet, and if you will indeed get 1 Disc for every crit even at high attack speeds (like Rapid Fire).

You can argue that burning through hatred faster is fine because you'll also generate it faster, which you will, but not proportionally due to the base regen (4hps) or with a bat companion, since it's all per second. Likewise though you can counter with the idea that adding a rune that gives bonus hatred on attack will favor the faster weapons, but at the sacrifice of DPS generally, though that's another equation in itself where you need to know your damage per hatred to figure out if the decrease in DPS is justified by the increase in HPS.

There's also the speed argument that faster, smaller attacks lead to less overkill. For example if you have a ballista that does 1000 damage once every 10 seconds, or a hand crossbow that does 50 damage every 0.5 seconds. And you're facing 100 enemies with 50 HP (unrealistic example but shows the concept behind the argument).

In the end, I think any weapon you pick can be built around. The Archery passive which pretty much everyone will get will lead to different itemization choices and tailoring to your current weapon.

There will naturally be a best build and best weapon, but here's hoping the difference is so negligible that few care and can just use what they find enjoyable.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Rapid fire fires at about 6 times your normal attack speed and consumes 10 hatred for every 6 attacks, so it's going to consume hatred at a speed proportional to your attack speed. (AS * 10), so with 2 1HX, you're looking at 1.84 AS, so 18.4 hatred per second. With a 2HX + Quiver you're looking at 1.21AS, or 12.1 hatred per second.

At equal DPS, dual-wielding will consume your hatred faster with Rapid Fire so you get less Damage per Hatred (though equal damage per second, making 2HX superior in this case over 2 1HX). This may be offset by other factors though, it depends how on-hit effects react to increases in attack speed etc.

For instance, Night Stalker passive gives you 1 discipline on crit, and Preparation/Punishment allows you to convert Discipline to hatred, equaling out to 5 hatred per crit. Unfortunately we don't know exactly how those abilities all work yet, and if you will indeed get 1 Disc for every crit even at high attack speeds (like Rapid Fire).

You can argue that burning through hatred faster is fine because you'll also generate it faster, which you will, but not proportionally due to the base regen (4hps) or with a bat companion, since it's all per second. Likewise though you can counter with the idea that adding a rune that gives bonus hatred on attack will favor the faster weapons, but at the sacrifice of DPS generally, though that's another equation in itself where you need to know your damage per hatred to figure out if the decrease in DPS is justified by the increase in HPS.

There's also the speed argument that faster, smaller attacks lead to less overkill. For example if you have a ballista that does 1000 damage once every 10 seconds, or a hand crossbow that does 50 damage every 0.5 seconds. And you're facing 100 enemies with 50 HP (unrealistic example but shows the concept behind the argument).

In the end, I think any weapon you pick can be built around. The Archery passive which pretty much everyone will get will lead to different itemization choices and tailoring to your current weapon.

There will naturally be a best build and best weapon, but here's hoping the difference is so negligible that few care and can just use what they find enjoyable.

good analysis,

lets not forget (for the most part)
-each setup/style will likely attain similar DPS/balance
-On_hit effects will have skill Dependant bonuses/penalties (RF x6 speed will not produce x6 on_hit effects)
- difficulty in finding two good weapons, vs 1 strong one
- benefit to burst hatred, rather than sit and channel, and never being at full (regen = 0)
- channel longevity from +hate regen (asymptotic)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
dual crossbow just because they look cool. I figure the differences will be minimal anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I practice archery in RL and will always go with a longbow over the others unless there is a situation that requires something else - BTW Blizz I use a Yumi, your looks nothing like a real one :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]