Diablo® III

Beta : Hit numbers Vs Monster HP

Hi,

I have been watching a few streams so far and I must say that the game is looking awesome. Can't wait to see what it'll be like on release :)

I do have something bugging my mind thought.

When the heroes hits with spells and attacks, you can see numbers popping on top on monsters head giving you details on how much damage you actualy did on the monster. This is fine and preaty much standard for this kind of game.

My problem is that there seems to be no numerical indication whatsoever of the monsters total / current HP. (maybe the smaller ones doesnt need hp total on top of their heads but I would think that the big ones with health bars and bosses should...)

It seems to me that the hit numbers are only usefull if you actualy have another number to validate against with.

I mean, what good is to know I hitted for 5 or 8000 if it only takes a small portion of the creature's health. (ergo, probably the same if you compare basic hit on normal vs nigthmare etc. where we can assume the monsters will die at roughly the same speed)

Also, there is the problem that when I know that skill A do X damage and skill B does Y damage, when facing a monster with Z hp, I instinctly try to think which skill am I gonna use (assuming they do not have the same cost).

In the actual state of the game, this question cannot be answered tanking into accound the damage done...

Maybe its fine on normal. But this bugs me because on higher difficulty, where you will be challenged and you will need to manage every single cooldowns and resource points to survive, the skill you choose versus the situation will make or break you... And busting a skill doing greater damage (generaly at greater cost/cooldown) for nothing can really hurt later when you need it the most...

Missing a cooldown when you could've saved it is very frustrating :P at least to me lol

So guys, what do you think?

Maybe I just watched poor quality streams and It made the monsters HP number disapears but all in all, why show hit numbers when we don't have actual numbers to compare them with ? (besides giving a general sense to the player that his attack hits more with better equipment/level)?

Maybe someone from Blizzard could shed some light on this observation ?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
Do you mean youd like to see an number on the health bar? 2300/6000 for example?

Edit: Just watching the DH stream atm and they do have HP numbers above their head.
Edited by Deepa on 9/8/2011 7:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
I agree with Deepa, you can make a guess on their total HP based on how much % of the healthbar you damage when you hit them (excluding endbosses where this progress is really slow). On top of that I'm not even sure I understand your issue at all.

You point out that you dislike the fact of not being able to see how much hp a monster has in combo with seeing your own damage, and then you mention something about saving cooldowns. What's the specific issue?^^
Reply Quote
I think part of the idea is that it it gives the player a sense of relative power? Like, if I smack some guy in the face and it does 10 damage and then I throw a magic missile at it and it does 26 damage, I know that magic missile, against that particular enemy, is 2.6 times as effective. While not having enemy hp numbers there does keep me from knowing exactly what happened, the numbers on skills give you relative power. They also tell you when you're using a skill that's doing nothing so you know to try something else.

In general (and this game seems to follow that pattern from what I've seen), monsters in Diablo can be rated based on they're nameplate color and what they do to you - white skeletons are trash mobs that are barely worth using spells for, all the way up to Hell Froth the Unethical, the Unique-spawned pit lord with extra fast multishot manaburn spectral hit. If it looks like it's going to hurt, it probably is, and so you should use cooldowns for it. I think that adding numbers to hp bars for enemies just adds clutter, even if it is just for the uniques / rares.
Reply Quote
Having 2003/8452 is exactly what I am talking about.

But I do agree with you, having it on every single monsters would be insane in this game where sometimes you just get swarmed :P

That said, as I mentionned in the OP I am talking about special monsters and bosses. Those which have a bigger health bar and are takes more skills and hits to kill.

The smaller ones are just "trash mobs" as they say :P No need to see HP numbers on a mob I will kill in 2 - 3 hits anyway!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
There is actually an option to turn this on or off, which tells you the exact amount of health the monster has. I've only see maybe 1 or 2 people actually use it though.
Reply Quote
Yeah, there are too many enemies to have total health numbers over all their heads, but maybe as a part of their healthbar there could be a number when you hover over them. It could even be the kind of thing you learn about an enemy after a certain number of kills on that type of enemy. They could build an achievement around leveling up your skill vs a certain enemy for killing a bunhc of them. It'd help towards their goal of wanting the whole game to be run in Inferno mode in the end.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
Having 2003/8452 is exactly what I am talking about.

But I do agree with you, having it on every single monsters would be insane in this game where sometimes you just get swarmed :P

That said, as I mentionned in the OP I am talking about special monsters and bosses. Those which have a bigger health bar and are takes more skills and hits to kill.

The smaller ones are just "trash mobs" as they say :P No need to see HP numbers on a mob I will kill in 2 - 3 hits anyway!

Yeah must be an option to do it, the DH stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/er0zlol has it enabled, just watched him kill the skeleton king and he had a hp meter.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:18 AMPosted by CEOxCreepInc
hitted

i think you can enable the hitted monster's health bar in the interface
Edited by Fuse on 9/8/2011 7:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel like this would lead to dmg meters and that is a MAJOR no no in my book. i don't want to be watching dmg meters as i do in wow. I feel like it takes you out of the game when you are just watching hit points.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
09/08/2011 07:55 AMPosted by Grimmis
I feel like this would lead to dmg meters and that is a MAJOR no no in my book. i don't want to be watching dmg meters as i do in wow. I feel like it takes you out of the game when you are just watching hit points.

Addons are banned in Diablo, don't have to worry about damage meters(thankyou god).
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:55 AMPosted by Grimmis

Mob health display wouldn't lead to damage meters lol. Damage done and humans desire to see how awesome they are, leads to damage meters. D3 already displays these numbers.

That said, D3 doesn't support mods anyway.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:04 AMPosted by Skyfire
Mob health display wouldn't lead to damage meters lol. Damage done and humans desire to see how awesome they are, leads to damage meters

You have to have mob hit points for any of this to happen.. I was simply saying that that is the direction i feel like it would go if this were the case.

But as you guys have stated there will be no mod support in D3, So I stand corrected.
Edited by Grimmis on 9/8/2011 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:13 AMPosted by ForTheLULZ
It is an option you can turn on in the menus to have enemy hp bars with current/total hp above their heads =)

Thanks for the information. That clarify the point! :)

I'll just enable mine and enjoy the game :D
Reply Quote
Yep, there's indeed options for turning on/off damage text, monster health bars, and exact monster HP. Everyone can change them to their own preferences!

As for me, I love knowing exactly all that info so I play with everything on!
Reply Quote
Good to know i'm not the only one there liking that feature :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I hope theres a toggle to turn the numbers off.

I want to just make sure they die, not how much damage I did to make sure that they die.
Reply Quote
I hope theres a toggle to turn the numbers off.

I want to just make sure they die, not how much damage I did to make sure that they die.

As I've said before, there's toggles for each bit of info. You can turn damage text off if you want to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]