Diablo® III

Poison damage and its limitations

I have been looking at the witch doctor a lot lately as I plan to play him as my first character. I can't yet speak for how common it is with other characters but I've noticed his skills and run effects are very poison damage heavy as somewhat expected.

I'm wondering, however, what considerations have been made for overlaps in DoT effects if any. Though I can't recall it being much of a concern in D2, DoTs were a significant issue in the early days of WoW because of the inherent limitation in the number that could be active at once. Poison was similar in D2 and I wonder if that has been accounted for in D3 or if we'll have to micro our skill usage to avoid overlapping poison damage from different skills/players.

I'd appreciate it is anyone who has played the beta can comment on any concerns they might have run across with this as unlikely as it might be this early in the game.
Reply Quote
There are only 4 players max in a party. There are not 40. Or even 25. There won't be a problem.
Reply Quote
But there is only 1 poison counter on a target. Even one person can end up conflicting with that let alone 4.

EDIT: What really got me thinking about it is the Rabid Dogs rune for the zombie dogs. If all three of the dogs attack one target, for example a boss, only one of the poison effects would actually do anything making the effect vastly inferior to the crimson effect for the pulsed fire damage since all three would apply.
Edited by Steveman on 9/12/2011 6:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Savior
This is a valid question. Unfortunately I have no answer. I sincerly hope someone with some knowledge responds to this. Not that I maintain an interest in the witch doctor, to rather to sedate my own curiousity about blizzards attention to detail.

I don't think it will just be an issue with the witch doctor but I haven't gone through all the rune effects to know just how prevalent poison effects are.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Poison from d2 isn't all that great unless you have the perfect gear, charms, and skill set. Poison used to be worse before 1.09.
Reply Quote
But there is only 1 poison counter on a target. Even one person can end up conflicting with that let alone 4.

EDIT: What really got me thinking about it is the Rabid Dogs rune for the zombie dogs. If all three of the dogs attack one target, for example a boss, only one of the poison effects would actually do anything making the effect vastly inferior to the crimson effect for the pulsed fire damage since all three would apply.

Are you SURE that only one of the poison effects is doing anything. Are you SURE that the game is not just making things simpler on your eyes and just combining all of the poisons in to a single debuff, but giving you the full benefit of all of the poison damage from all of the poison effects?
Reply Quote
Ive looked at DH and Wiz so far. and I dont really see many/any/much poison dmg skills.

The only thing that might be a problem is another WD in your party. Hopefully the 2 poison tickers will stack.
Reply Quote

Are you SURE that only one of the poison effects is doing anything. Are you SURE that the game is not just making things simpler on your eyes and just combining all of the poisons in to a single debuff, but giving you the full benefit of all of the poison damage from all of the poison effects?

That's what I am looking to find out. As it was in D2, there was only ever one poison effect in place and if a new effect was applied that wasn't as powerful then it was ignored. This meant that two classes reliant on poison would negate the damage of the weaker one. It meant that one character was completely useless.

The problem arises when the witch doctor (or any other class) uses two poison attacks consecutively. Will both skills do full damage or will they both be "poison" and skill two replaces the damage from skill one.

Or using the same attack twice. If X does 10 poison damage over 10 seconds, and you cast it twice are you doing 2 poison damage per second for the duration of skill 1 or is it just replaced with the second casting.

I have the same question with non-poison abilities. For instance, if I cast meteor twice in the same spot will it double the DoT in the impact area?

Fire DoT effects were periodically triggered damage so they would all stack. Each damage source would add separately to the target.

Poison however was essentially a debuff applied to the target. A target became poisoned for a damage amount and duration. When a more powerful effect was applied, the old one was overwritten eliminating the remainder of the damage the first was supposed to do. In your example, the target would continue to take 1 damage per second but the duration would refresh so if you did it one second after the first spell hit the first would have effectively done only 1 damage.

The limitations of poison were somewhat countered by the fact that all poison related damages were significantly higher than their equivalent elemental sources. In the case of the zombie dogs, the poison damage is pathetic. 75 damage over 3 seconds to the target on attack vs a 50 dmg/s aura.
Edited by Steveman on 9/12/2011 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Keep in mind D3 has far less hardware/software limitations than D2 had. I seriously doubt they would create a rune that only has 1/3 effectiveness in the event that your damage is focused on a single target. I hope you can find a concrete answer though.
Reply Quote
I'm hoping they already thought of this and everything stacks. Including the ZD poison.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
The "poison" cloud from Plague affix monsters stacks on players. There's no reason to think this wouldn't work in reverse.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]