Diablo® III

Diablo 3 nod to Game of Thrones?

The Wizzard skill blizzard is changed to Stark Winter when an Indigo Runestone is inserted into it. Reason enough for me to use it.
Reply Quote
stark (stärk)
adj. stark·er, stark·est
1. Bare or blunt: "His language has become increasingly stark, to the point of sounding strident" (Robert Pear).
2. Complete or utter; extreme: stark poverty; a stark contrast.
3. Harsh; grim: "faced with that stark future" (Robert C. McFarlane). "[They] found it hard to accept such a stark portrait of unrelieved failure" (W. Bruce Lincoln).
Reply Quote
Winter is coming...
Reply Quote
You'd think they'd keep a spell named after the company. Free publicity!
Reply Quote
stark (stärk)
adj. stark·er, stark·est
1. Bare or blunt: "His language has become increasingly stark, to the point of sounding strident" (Robert Pear).
2. Complete or utter; extreme: stark poverty; a stark contrast.
3. Harsh; grim: "faced with that stark future" (Robert C. McFarlane). "[They] found it hard to accept such a stark portrait of unrelieved failure" (W. Bruce Lincoln).

stark

adjective /stärk/
starker, comparative; starkest, superlative

Severe or bare in appearance or outline
- the ridge formed a stark silhouette against the sky

Unpleasantly or sharply clear; impossible to avoid
- his position on civil rights is in stark contrast to that of his liberal opponent
- the stark reality of life for deprived minorities

Complete; sheer
- he came running back in stark terror

Stiff, rigid, or incapable of movement
- a human body lying stiff and stark by the stream

Physically strong or powerful
- the dragoons were stark fellows
EDIT:
Beat me to it, but mines still better.

Really? Did you both assume that I did not know that "stark" was a word as well as the name of the family from GoT? Or do you not know what I'm talking about and just decided to pop in and give your misguided advice?
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 07:35 PMPosted by Tullox
Winter is coming...

This.
Reply Quote
You don't have to look to hard into this one. It is very obvious to anyone who watched the show or read the books. Plus you don't just accidentally put the words Stark and Winter together on a skill called blizzard without meaning to do it.
Reply Quote
I'd love to see some White Walkers in the game. But there'd probably be copyright issues with that. Maybe wights with blue eyes?
Reply Quote
Posted by Tullox
Winter is coming...

Soon™
Reply Quote
The effect increases the area and damage of the spell. There could have been so many different, more fitting words to describe it.

Interpretation, however, is in the eye of the beholder. A player can look at that title, and immediately think of a Song of Ice and Fire (the actual title of the book series, GoT is just the first book). To them, it's a nod to the series.

The interpretation of the one who created the ability will never be known to us (unless he comes out and says it). It's possible that he had no intention of nodding to the series, but subconsciously his exposure to the book or show steered him towards that choice of name. There are other possibilities. However, none of that is truly relevant to the player, what's relevant is how the player interprets it.

Well said.
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 07:54 PMPosted by Bottle
The effect increases the area and damage of the spell. There could have been so many different, more fitting words to describe it.

I agree. Stark when used in conjunction with the term winter is meant to express how harsh or grim it is based on the definition. Stark does not describe size. As in how the rune actually affects the skill by making it bigger. It does increase the cold damage, but they are better words and phrases to describe that effect. Brutal Winter being one of them. Like this guy said though, its all in the the eye of the beholder.
Edited by MrSadistic on 9/12/2011 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's cool. I love the series.
Reply Quote
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
Reply Quote
Obvious Iron Man reference.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]