Diablo® III

Hoping the new features won't ruin longevity

The first thing that sucked me into D1 then D2 was game play, and it seems they've gotten that superb again that's not my problem, the only thing that truly kept getting me to come back to D2 was making new builds, trading for more gear etc, etc,. it seems like there really narrowing down your options.

I can't judge until I play it but I can't see coming back to a game years down the road where you can have 1 class of each type maxed out and you have noting left to accomplish. D2 accomplished this better than any game out there as it's averaging 45-50k users at all time over a decade later.
Reply Quote
I get the feeling that they intend on adding in items and content a lot more frequently than the did in D2, extending the life of the game. They developed the game with a heavy server-side basis for most of the game, which prevents hacking (or helps slow hackers down) and allows them to plug hotfixes and other things directly into the game. Updates are easier to deliver without full-on patches, and that will allow them to add things as the game goes on.

Plus there's at least one, probably two, expansions.
Reply Quote
Make one of each character with the highest level of every rune attuned to every skill and level 14 gems in every slot with all artisans maximum level in hardcore mode

that will keep you busy for some amount of time :)
Reply Quote
I don't see the game becoming stale any time soon. If you want to get "perfect builds" it will take a long time to get all the gear (even with an AH), all of the highest level runes for your skills, etc etc etc. And that's just one character.
Reply Quote
It's all part of the master plan to not have to support a ton of servers for very long. Make the game fun for about 10 hours and they'll still get the massive sales but won't have to deal with the long term server maintenance.
Reply Quote
d2 had a ceiling and didn't allow themselves much room for growth. They did alright adding the expo and new characters and one new act but there is a point in d2 where you simply just get too powerful to do anything that isn't just running chaos for exp and meph/diablo for MF. I think d3 will give them TONS of room to grow once the general public is 60 and sick of running inferno all of the time (which I think will take a long time). This gives the game a ton of longevity IMO.

I really liked the way Jay explained it. In d2 you could get level 99 but the highest monsters were 85, in d3 you max at 60 with all monsters in inferno at 61 making it always a challenge. Soon as they do an expansion I can see them increasing to say level 70 with another difficulty OR increasing the inferno monsters to 71.
Reply Quote
The only thing I hate about the new diablo is that you can buy your way to power. What happened to the good old days of video games, when you actually played the game.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:28 AMPosted by Kendroxide
The only thing I hate about the new diablo is that you can buy your way to power. What happened to the good old days of video games, when you actually played the game.

Key word is "can". Not "will" or "have to".
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:28 AMPosted by Kendroxide

There a thing of the past, and always will be. Fact of the matter is this: If blizzard didn't do it someone would have, atleast through blizzard you know it's safe. Ive used d2jsp, it was long after d2 had been out and at that point I was sick of running through the same game 500 times and just wanted a pimped out high level *insert char type*. This is different because it will happen right from launch but there is NO way around it, a 3rd party would still come in and have items for sale for real money.
Reply Quote
Yeah but In D2 my focus wasn't PvM , that was a joke in D2 I could walk through the end of Hell and be untouched with 90% of my characters,

I was building new characters and getting new gear so I could go and Pk with them I never did PvM and I only Mf'd when I was a broke noob in the beginning, I know it's outdated , but the trading system D2 had is the best in any game IMO.

maybe not anymore, but in it's hayday trading was a lot of fun bargaining for high value items, you could rip off someone or they could rip you off if you didn't know the price of items. I did it all for Pk and just to become richer, I don't see how having one character that can do everything and having no interaction while trading is going to be a good thing.

Trading and Pk was all I did for like 5 years, once you get some solid items PvM is pointless, and with the AH I'm sure I won't be able to turn rotten into riches like I did countless times in D2.

They might be making certain areas better but I think there taking a step back in others, there better be a way outside to AH to deal with trades.
Reply Quote
I dont understand why you "hate" buying items. These people dishing out money are putting money in other's pockets who bust their butt with grinding. If your not involved in the AH, then none of it affects you. The RMAH is awsome and is a win-win for everyone who is involved with it. People droping money for items will happen reguardless of it blizzard is involved or not. Blizzard is just now controling it, which protects people from getting ripped off.
Reply Quote
Yeah but In D2 my focus wasn't PvM , that was a joke in D2 I could walk through the end of Hell and be untouched with 90% of my characters,

I was building new characters and getting new gear so I could go and Pk with them I never did PvM and I only Mf'd when I was a broke noob in the beginning, I know it's outdated , but the trading system D2 had is the best in any game IMO.

maybe not anymore, but in it's hayday trading was a lot of fun bargaining for high value items, you could rip off someone or they could rip you off if you didn't know the price of items. I did it all for Pk and just to become richer, I don't see how having one character that can do everything and having no interaction while trading is going to be a good thing.

Trading and Pk was all I did for like 5 years, once you get some solid items PvM is pointless, and with the AH I'm sure I won't be able to turn rotten into riches like I did countless times in D2.

They might be making certain areas better but I think there taking a step back in others, there better be a way outside to AH to deal with trades.

I think that's the point. PVM will not become pointless.
Reply Quote
@Giant this wasn't a " I hate the AH die Blizzard" thread, if you read a single post you'd see everyone was pretty calm and relaxed showing there opinions. I have no problem with the AH I just see it hindering longevity, as I plan to play this game for absurd amounts of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]