Diablo® III

mantras and rebuffing

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Is there any thought being given to a longer buff duration, perhaps if combined with a constant low drain on spirit?

It's not exactly an issue for me with my playstyle, but I sort of like the idea of being able to leave it up longer as long as there's some sort of balancing act w/r/t spirit usage.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
There is a passive skill that makes them last longer.
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 10:01 AMPosted by Senfas
There is a passive skill that makes them last longer.
but the duration is pointless in the first place because they do not cost nor generate spirit, as the OP explained.

It is dumb to make them have a duration just so that you can have a passive to increase their duration.

There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason for the duration in the first place. Make them like paladin auras in D2/WoW.
Edited by Bawfuls on 9/13/2011 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think having a short duration is good. You must remember to turn it on. I a big battle, you may be in pressure and forget about that. You lose
Reply Quote
09/13/2011 01:19 AMPosted by Malfunction
I think having a short duration is good. You must remember to turn it on. I a big battle, you may be in pressure and forget about that. You lose
That is not an interesting mechanic. It's just another button you have to periodically remember to press. It is counter to Blizzard's style with regard to these things. When WoW was new, Paladin blessings only lasted 5 minutes and people spent the bulk of their raid fights casing buffs. That is not interesting game play; it is busywork, and eventually the buff duration was extended significantly.

It would be interesting if it somehow played into spirit management, but it doesn't because they don't cost any spirit.
Reply Quote
That is not an interesting mechanic. It's just another button you have to periodically remember to press. It is counter to Blizzard's style with regard to these things. When WoW was new, Paladin blessings only lasted 5 minutes and people spent the bulk of their raid fights casing buffs. That is not interesting game play; it is busywork, and eventually the buff duration was extended significantly.

It would be interesting if it somehow played into spirit management, but it doesn't because they don't cost any spirit.

That's because of WoW's pacing. Fights are long, and there's no downtime to rebuff in them, in contrast to Diablo's fast-paced action. 2 minutes in Diablo might as well be half an hour in WoW.

A good way to see the sheer difference is in DoT effects. In WoW, these last 12, sometimes 18 seconds. In Diablo 3, most DoTs don't last longer than 4 seconds, because you kill packs of monsters so fast. This means you have plenty of time to rebuff, too.

I mean, there's really nothing in Diablo that lasts two minutes, let alone five minutes or longer. Any longer and it might as well just be an extra passive slot.
Edited by Suu on 9/13/2011 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/13/2011 01:25 AMPosted by Bawfuls

5 mins is long but 2 mins is short so you must care. It's not just another button to push. You need timing too.

Pally's 5 min buffs were not a problem, you guys just overestimate it. Just plain simple, when you have nothing to do, buff up.
Reply Quote
Just a guess here but I can sort of see blizzards point in it being 2 minutes. Part of the fun of being immersed in the game and making it feel real is having a mantra that doesn't just last forever, but needs to be summoned as if it were a powerful temporary buff, like a shout or something.

You may argue this is dumb, and I may agree with you, but the act of casting it, is the act of immersing you in the game and in the depth of the monk
Reply Quote
To me, Mantras sounds like a passive that you have to cast every 2 minutes. IMO, this mechanic needs some improvement. Especially when we only have 6 active skills slot, mantras will be using one of the slot which only going to be used every 2 minutes. So it's not a very active skills, and since it has no spirit cost, for myself, i will just spam it whenever it is ready to use. Nothing wrong with it, but can't get much fun out of it though. Anyone agree?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
In my opinion it looks like a simple annoyance to remember to rebuff every 120 seconds (or 240 w/ passive.)

If the devs really want to add "immersion" they need to design some more intricate uses than a simple re-buff on a relatively short cooldown and duration. Something more dynamic like triggering mantras at proper times to achieve desired effects/bonuses would be somewhere to start. I'm absolutely in awe about the other aspects of this game, but the Mantra design is one of (if not the) worst, or at least the least compelling compared with everything else :)

And please don't ever use an "immersion" argument to support this design. That's completely subjective and I would argue !@#-backwards from a logic standpoint. The devs have stated time and again that Diablo is all about fast direct action that murders massive amount of monsters with little downtime. How does being required to rebuff every 120 seconds attribute to "immersion" in any way? If anything, being required to remember tedious things like this would detract from immersion, at least in my opinion.
Edited by Lafu on 9/13/2011 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
!@#$~~! the mantras are not even working as intended. This mantra of ret. was debuffed by a frozen champion that exploded. Timestamp is 1:33:03. Monk goes into the catacombs with buff on. Kills one frozen champion, mantra buff is removed and frozen debuff is applied.
Reply Quote
I forget where they said this, but they've said that for release Mantra's will give an extra effect for the first X number of seconds after their applied. So it will do something extra for a short duration when you press the button, it wont be just a passive that you have to reapply sometimes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]