Diablo® III

From watching streams thus far...

Does anyone else feel that crafting is going to be too easy? That, everyone is going to have their own max level artisan fairly quickly?

It seems like the only difference is going to be whoever gets the first rare recipes and is able to flood the market with the items. I don't even think the idea of rare recipes is a good one.

Right now I've seen a lot of people with tier 3 artisans... and they've done this just by playing a few low level characters through the first 3rd of one act? Realistically nobody would be playing retail for a couple days and limiting themselves to that little content. Sure we're seeing low level mobs drop 1-2 gold... But, by the end there's plenty of 10-30 gold piles. People are leveling slowly now and not earning much because they've outleveled the content. After 2-3 days of "normal" retail play, I would expect those piles would be hundreds of gold... so that 5000 gold training cost wouldn't really take long.

Add in all the farmers selling items on the retail AHs, and It feels like everyone will be crafting their own items.
Edited by Spiffytastic on 9/9/2011 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It seems like the only difference is going to be whoever gets the first rare recipes and is able to flood the market with the items. I don't even think the idea of rare recipes is a good one.

The items you craft will have some set stats but also some random ones, this randomness will leave many a crafter with items that have stats that aren't "perfect" it makes the artisans a little bit of a gamble, because you don't know EXACTLY what you will get. I hate to say it again, but the game isn't in our hands yet, watching streams of the beta is not the same as the game actually being fully launched. Lets not get ahead of ourselves when we have very little idea of what is happens at later stages of the game concerning crafting prices.
Reply Quote
Gold is pretty common, just like it was in Diablo. Crafting will definitely be a money sink, but it depends entirely on how many modifiers and recipes they plan on having late game. Right now I can go through quite a bit of gold just trying to find a specific set of modifiers on a SINGLE item, let alone one with perfect stats.

I'm actually quite curious to see what happens with itemization post retail. The Diablo 2 market never had a structured marketplace on exception to some forums, chat channels, and in-game trading. With a global auction-house, I could see it getting diluted very quickly. And who really knows how rare certain items were due to the abundance of exploits and duping that prevailed in Diablo 2.

I would really, really, really, love to see some mega rare recipes, just like items, that require quite a bit of materials to create. Stuff like that is what keeps people playing and defeating the same dungeons a thousand times over.

Keep in mind, there are legendary quality materials that will be hard to come across. And who knows if there will be more than one type of material per rarity type. If there were a recipe that required 10-20 of different legendary materials, you wouldn't be flooding the market with those any time soon.
Edited by Ziot on 9/9/2011 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I guess what I'm saying is IMHO pages of training are dropping way too often. But, that definitely could be something that was seriously inflated just for beta.

Reply Quote
09/09/2011 05:11 PMPosted by Spiffytastic
I guess what I'm saying is IMHO pages of training are dropping way too often. But, that definitely could be something that was seriously inflated just for beta.

In all truthfullness i'm seeing craft level 10 on the items blizz has released on the website, I'm sure the amount of training required to hit 10 in all artisans is fairly ridiculous.

Ontop of that. If it wasn't really that common of a drop people would be spamming the books with AH selling them for 20-30 bucks instead of leveling up their own.

I mean think of it. you know someone out there is going to buy up all kinds of books, just at a chance to get first high levle patterns to sell in game items.

Reply Quote
You assume the amount of gold dropping from monsters will scale similar to D2. If that is the case I agree with you and the prices of things are to low. However it is possible that the scaling of gold drops is much more gradual. It could very well be that in inferno the gold drops are only up to like 30 gold a kill.

I mean look at the gradual scaling of gem affects. This is a perfect in game example of how the general scaling concepts of D3 have change.

Item sales will be another place that will be interesting to see how gold sale becomes involved. Likely the scaling of the value of items sold to the Cauldron of Jordan will hopefully be very gradual. This would both help keep down the generation of new gold to the system and encourage use of the GAH which will like have the same items often valued at more gold but not generating said gold from nowhere.

*fingers crossed*
Reply Quote
I am not sure, but I thought 5 pages of training = tome, and you need 3-5 tomes to level up an artisan one level?

So that's about 135-225 pages of training to level a single artisan to level 10.
All 3 artisans is 405-675 pages of training.

Seems like a lot to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm wrong and it's just 1 tome per level, then it's still 27 tomes, or 135 pages of training.
Edited by HeftyStyle on 9/27/2011 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
FoE
Blizzard has stated that they dont want crafting to be too difficult. The challenge wont be in lvling your artisans, it will be in getting items with the right modifiers, and then getting high values for them.

That aside, we also dont know how scaling will be in this game. I could be exponential like D2, or it could be more linear. Either way is fine as long as they make the artisans (and any other gold sinks) match that scaling.
Reply Quote
48 Dwarf Hunter
09/09/2011 04:27 PMPosted by Ziot
Crafting will definitely be a money sink

big money sink

So that's about 135-225 pages of training to level a single artisan to level 10.
All 3 artisans is 405-675 pages of training.

based on this math its wrong btw at 10 lvls per artisan at 5 pages per tome ur looking at anywhere from 450-750 pages for all 3 artisans IF they require ONLY 3-5 books per lvl. in which case i dout only 3-5 books will be a req for lvl i think we can all assume that the more the lvls the more mats will be to lvl each artisan just like for each diff there will be more and dif mats to craft higher and more powerful items
Reply Quote
Those higher difficulty mats aren't much more difficult to acquire (for a level appropriate character).

ie, Getting an Assorted Fragment is no harder than getting a Common Scrap.
It just means you salvaged a white/grey item you got in Nightmare.

In the first 5 levels it is always 1 book per train, 5 trains per level. Tho they do scale the other trivial components at level 5... I don't see the book req scaling up.
Reply Quote

based on this math its wrong btw at 10 lvls per artisan at 5 pages per tome ur looking at anywhere from 450-750 pages for all 3 artisans IF they require ONLY 3-5 books per lvl.

Don't the artisans start at level 1? If so, then my math was correct. You have to level each artisan 9 times. That's 27 levels * 5 tomes/level * 5 pages/tome = 675 pages

If the artisans start at level 0, then yes you are correct.
Reply Quote
I've played for a total of about 5 hours on beta so far and found 5 pages allowing me to make 1 tome across my 3 characters. The tome gave me 1/5 of my blacksmiths level 1 training. Each tome puts you closer and unlocks recipes as well. I can't wait to get to 2/5 I can make shoulder armor if I recall correctly. Thats about 25 hours of game play to get 1 level on one artisan. I don't know if level two blacksmith requires 1 tome per training or maybe 2-3. Either way it's still alot of time + there are 3 artisans to work on. If it scales it would still be "easy" just extremely time consuming.

Either way looks fun and I already look forward to what the artisans have to offer each step of the way. Not to mention the recipes you find on the way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]