Diablo® III

Auto stat point allocation = very unpopular

If you think having just this skill system will stop cookie cutters, you'd be wrong.. eventually people will work out what works best with a given character and people will copy it...

If multiple builds with different skills are viable your arguement gets thrown out the window. Thats basically what there aiming for in Diablo III. Will there be cookie cutters? Sure. Will they be the only viable build? No.

If a build of different skills is just as effective in a situation as the other, youd be wrong.

and if people find that there are indeed 'prime' builds per se for each class, then your argument gets thrown out the window... all you'll be able to do is throw exactly the same skills on, and hope you can beat them... there will be nothing apart from the gear they're wearing to give any advantage, or disadvantage for that matter..

and what if they're then wearing the same gear (because thats what's been worked out works best with said build) ? will it become a potion eating contest?
Reply Quote
I don't mind it that much as long as you can still use most of the gear you want to it shouldn't be to big of a problem. Yes I would rather be able to dump my points where I want to but a lot of people do have problems with stat placement and if they make it so its fairly even among the classes gear should be also.
Reply Quote
less, is not more ;)
Reply Quote
and if people find that there are indeed 'prime' builds per se for each class, then your argument gets thrown out the window... all you'll be able to do is throw exactly the same skills on, and hope you can beat them... there will be nothing apart from the gear they're wearing to give any advantage, or disadvantage for that matter..

and what if they're then wearing the same gear (because thats what's been worked out works best with said build) ? will it become a potion eating contest?

Except this isnt the case. Some skills if you have looked at the skill calculator have been designed to specifically counter other abilities be it mantras, defensive abilities etc.

If people begin going cookie cutter builds, chances are there going to be countered, in a never ending cycle.

The reason why Hammerdin worked so well in Diablo II was because there was no skill in the game that was capable of countering magic damage. Likewise was the result of bone necros (magic damage). Defensive spells were borderline useless in Diablo II in both PvE and PvP, with the exception of the barbarians warcry's. Offensive spells thus became the basis of cookie cutter builds.

With the addition of a series of defensive spells and runes that counter other attacks with runes, you cant just make a cookie cutter build anymore and expect to win all the time.

Not to mention some Runes counter other Rune effects, and Runes in general are ENTIRELY situational. They change up the situation so drastically after seeing the skill calculator. You simply cant expect to win with the same build every time anymore, as runes and skills clearly counter others. Because everything is controlled, its entirely possible that no build will ever be the definitive one if there is a counter to it.
Edited by ACPRO on 9/12/2011 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 07:43 PMPosted by Klavdiya
I don't get why people DONT want the option to have BOTH options? manual or auto ... what is wrong with that?

I don't feel like doing public games with Wizards who dumped everything into STR so they can melee and feel like a special little flower.

theres already people making battle mages get use to it. or dont play public games
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:11 PMPosted by Falcor

I don't feel like doing public games with Wizards who dumped everything into STR so they can melee and feel like a special little flower.

theres already people making battle mages get use to it. or dont play public games

This.
Reply Quote
I hate it, I liked having the ability to design my character how I wanted.
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 07:30 PMPosted by Ookie
I am glad I do not have to deal with stats. :)

i couldent care less either, i have never really understood the uproar over stat points, they hardly mattered in d2 anyways except for getting that sweet sweet vitality. and you only get around 300 or so by level 60 (in d3), not enough to matter

your getting exactly what you want next expansion anyways since your stats come from gear, just reroll them
Edited by Adecoy95#1300 on 11/29/2013 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Tramik
I am glad I do not have to deal with stats. :)

Probably one of the best decisions they made.
Reply Quote
Why was this Necroed? O.O
Reply Quote
Difference is in D2 your stats weren't dumb modifiers.

Strength added small amounts of damage to a melee weapon users, and allowed you to equip your gear.
Dex added small amounts of damage for bow users, increased block chance (to a hard cap of 75%) and allowed you to use some of the faster attack speed weapons (bows, javelins, swords, lances, axes and daggers)
-note, Dex and strength together increased assassin claw damage.
Vitality increases life
Energy increases mana

This way you had to have specific numbers of each stat to wear your gear based on your gears requirements. You had the option to socket some equipment types with -requirement jewels and runes to lower your stat requirements to allow more life.

If you chose to go with a shield you could opt for maximum block or any number of block% that made you comfortable.

Then obviously you had the choice to either dump your remaining stats into vitality, or add a bit of Dex per lvl(for block) and rest to vit, or if you were a melee or amazon, into str or Dex, for a little extra damage and become a glass cannon

With d3 however, you want both vit and your main stat because your main stat adds a simple 1% damage per point, and then has some defensive bonuses too.

Which brings me to the point about the numbers scaling too damn high. If the stats weren't dropping a maximum of 300 main stat on some pieces of gear and were lowered down to a more reasonable, say, max of 20 per stat (or even 30), it then wouldn't be a huge !@#$ing deal that your lacuni prowlers dropped without any main stat. 20 or 30 stat points would be worth a whopping 20-30% damage if we use current systems. Of course a 30str and 28 vit, 5%critical chance would be better than one without the 30 str, but suddenly it's not vendor trash and can be used and traded when you DO get one with a main stat.

Same goes for rares. Oh god how many times did you get a sweet helmet or shield that had all kinds of nice mods like high critical chance and all resistances and added armor and life per second and a socket and tossed it because there was no main stat? If the numbers weren't so %^-*ing high these items would be worth a damn.

And now that I'm on a !@#$ing rant, can someone explain to me why all resistances can go higher than a single resistance on a single item? 80ar vs 60single res. And why can't an item spawn with two, 3 or 4 single resistances? Bring the diminishing returns lower (there's that L word again), keep single resist items a max of 60 and lower (!!!) all resist to 20 or 30. That way if you get a chest piece with, say, 30 vit, 45 lightning resist, 58 fire resist, 32 cols resist, 3 sockets and reduced incoming melee damage it would be USEFUL.

Blah.

/rant over

EDIT: Just wrote that on a touch screen phone, didn't notice it got so long. My apologies
Edited by Beed#1450 on 11/29/2013 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]