Diablo® III

Low damage endgame?

to me it seem like damage is well... lower than i expected endgame.
i mean the skill calculator says it says a lvl 60 wizard would do about 80 damage with a unruned blizzard. That seems horridly low. is there something im missing? in diablo 2 you needed to be able to deal atleast 4k+ damage per attack to stand any sort of chance in hell
Reply Quote
The monsters may only have hundreds of life instead of tens of thousands.
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:44 PMPosted by FurryFury
in diablo 2 you needed to be able to deal atleast 4k+ damage per attack to stand any sort of chance in hell

This isnt diablo II. We also have no idea how items will play into this as well. If you have a 500-600 damage staff etc... you will be doing that damage as well. In the beta it has been shown that spells apparently do more damage with the wizard with items in her hand.

Some wizards with different items were killing skeleton king ranging from 20 secs to 3 seconds, both using a level 13 wizard. One was doing 80 damage to him, ive seen other wizards do close to 200 damage to him.

This could be the reason arcane orb does so little damage. It might be base damage.
Edited by ACPRO on 9/12/2011 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I would be willing to bet that it does not factor in your Attack stat. What you are seeing is more than likely just the baseline damage for the skill. Damage will scale accordingly as you acquire gear.
Reply Quote
there's no gear modifying these numbers though.
Reply Quote
Im assuming the caluculator is only showing the opening stats of the spell, don't they "level" up in some fashion? Get stronger as you progress?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
gear will greatly effect the numbers
Reply Quote
i see lots of gear with % damage modifiers. i'm thinking the base skills wont matter much :)
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:48 PMPosted by Mikeyy
Im assuming the caluculator is only showing the opening stats of the spell, don't they "level" up in some fashion? Get stronger as you progress?

but it says at the bottom of the page:
Note: Information on this page is based on a level 60 character and rank 7 runestones.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
09/12/2011 08:48 PMPosted by Mikeyy

When viewing the calculator, scroll down to the bottom. They have this message displayed there:
Note: Information on this page is based on a level 60 character and rank 7 runestones.

It is the baseline for your skills at level 60. Once you start acquiring gear with enhanced damage and Attack, your damage will scale accordingly.

Edit: Beaten by 30 some-odd seconds.
Edited by Eleste on 9/12/2011 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i may be wrong with spells but the "Attack" attribute affects all damage output including spells. So with a 100 Attack stat you do +100% damage. Also to make up for spells not depending on weapon damage a lot of mage and witch doctor specific gear gives an additional +% to spell damage.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Attributes
Reply Quote

Its already been shown in the beta items on the wizard scale with spell damage. Some wizards in the beta at level 13 only were doing upwards of 200 damage to the skeleton king with arcane orb. Doesnt that make it kind of obvious these spells scale with weapon items?
Edited by ACPRO on 9/12/2011 8:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:50 PMPosted by ForTheLULZ
It's showing the amount of damage your character is doing basically naked. Gear plays a huge part in the damage output, just like Diablo2 did as well as many other arpg's do.

yeah but it didn't on casters. FCR wise and + to skills it did, but for the most part damage stayed the same
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
09/12/2011 08:48 PMPosted by ShadowStep
i see lots of gear with % damage modifiers. i'm thinking the base skills wont matter much :)

Yeah its the same as wow...tooltips just list base damage. They've been taking attack power and stuff into account kind of, but its still not accurate. I imagine skills will be doing way more damage than whats just listed in the skill calculator.

Also, I feel like its still to early to make assumptions about end game when beta only goes to lvl 18, and all we know about the higher levels is the base damage of spells, especially without taking into account the ridiculous gear that will drop at higher difficulties.
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:49 PMPosted by FurryFury

Oh nice, thank you
Reply Quote
09/12/2011 08:51 PMPosted by ACPRO

Its already been shown in the beta items on the wizard scale with spell damage. Some wizards in the beta at level 13 only were doing upwards of 200 damage to the skeleton king with arcane orb. Doesnt that make it kind of obvious these spells scale with weapon items?

Nothing is "obvious" Since I don't have the beta. My original post was accually suggesting the spells probably DO scale though.

Ignoring whether it is "Obvious" or not, you tale gives creedence that Abilities Do infact scale.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
There is a screenshot of a level 1 and level 60 barbarian somewhere that lists an attack of 500+ for a total damage boost of more than 500%. Whether this is before or after gear isn't clear but I would guess that we'll see huge damage boosts as a result of an increased attack stat from gear that increases these numbers to a larger scale than the raw values we have in the calculator.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]